Tourism Council announces minimum price for Chinese tourist packages be 1,000 baht per day

webfact

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thais on holiday often spend that much. If you go to the shopping mall in Ayuttaya, a movie is 190 baht lowest price. Most buffets in the malls are 400 baht up, many are even 500+ baht these days and that's on the outskirts of BKK. Downtown it must be worse. 1k is nothing for someone coming from abroad even for those from Asia.

6 hours ago, natway09 said:

1,000 Bht a day. That is about 1 hour in my favourite bar.!!!!!

They get brothel-vouchers too on these tours i guess, specifics would be interesting, one a day or 'fair use' or how does it work exactly?

All hypothetical of course as we know there are no such establishments around in the first place ...

13 hours ago, smedly said:

my interpretation or understanding or lack thereof   of this is that China tourists are coming here on China owned Airlines - travelling in China owned buses or (crossing the borders using camper vans which is now banned) - staying in China owned hotels - eating in China owned restaurants - travelling on China owned and built trains (lol) and all the money they spend is going back to China 

Yup, that's how they do it everywhere in the world as well.  And, the money just gets sprinkled around the groups and families.  Usually they pay off the local governments.  There is some great literature on the Chinese diaspora.  It's pretty crazy, but it works.  They can act how they want in these situations, and nobody cares or comments.  I had an unpleasant experience yesterday.  Poor airline hostesses.

Just about every Thai policy enacted the past few years has targeted the high-spending tourist with laser precision, and DRIVEN them AWAY. You know the leisure class sometimes like to have a glass of wine with lunch,  sit on a sunbed for a few weeks escape a dreary Euro winter, or maybe a nice beach dinner on the sand. But things need to be managed a little better so guess what let's tear it all down instead. In Chiang Mai we'll always have the backpackers, who are spending less on booze as they need to be heading home by Midnight. Chinese seem to be more year round, but last high season wasn't much of anything and if it wasn't for them, hardly be any tourists at all most of time. What little they spend goes to 7/11 and the Drug Store chains.

Edited by Dipterocarp