Clothing Size

Jamie

Hi everyone,

I am trying to figure out how clothing sizes differ in Thailand compared to here in the US. My lady friend told me her jeans are around a size 32. The problem is I don't really know what this means in comparison to a US size.

Can anyone tell me how this might relate? She's about 5'7" (170 cm) and slim.

My wife who is 5' 9" and very slim is a size 12 in the UK (I think that's a 10 in the US) She has great difficulty finding clothes that fit when in Thailand, she just too big!!! She just has to shop around trying things on until she finds something

On a personal note, I find it difficult to find things sized correctly. In the UK I wear large/Xlarge, In Thailand I sometimes buy XXXlarge and it only just fits! Find something that fits and forget about the size.

I'm sure the ladies on this forum will have more constructive advice.

Actually, I thought that a jeans size 32 was the same as I size 12 in Aus/NZ which is the same as size 10 in the US (when I was a NZ size 12 I used to get Levis that were size 32). I think there is a difference between jeans size 32 and European size 32 that some clothes labels use ... I think a European size 32 is very small - about size 2 or 4 US..... this probably confuses the situation. If you want to buy her some sort of clothing present maybe it would be better to go for some sort of figure-hugging stretchy top so it won't matter if you get it a few sizes wrong!

I used to be an 8 in UK (which I think is a 6 in US). Over here normally a med/large.

The 32 size could be a waist or hip measurement and it varies from one company to the next let alone countries. As Sylafern said buy something u cant get wrong, a top or jewellery( you cant go wrong then)

This past Spring I went back home and brought some shirts for the men folk. I bought all XXL

My 2 cousins could not fit in their shirts, they wear Large and the shirts just didn't fit them.

My brother is a Medium and the shirts fit him fine.

a Thai friend asked me to buy him some Levi's size 32 , I went to a Levi's store in Montreal, bought the jeans, but when I came back here my friend didn't want them as they were much too big.

There is more to well fitted clothing than the number involved. You can have two people both claiming to be a size 8 with one person being extremely larger than the other.

You have petite

You have juniors

You have misses

You have womens

and then you have the lane Bryant size.

All of the above categories will have the same numbering system. But an 8 in each category will not be the same. To complicate the situation some clothing will take into consideration a womens pear shape eg. wranglers, and others might be geared to women with rears.

Then there is the Gap that likes to play mind games with larger women so they can walk around saying they are a size 4 even though they look like a 14.

So, the safest thing to do if shopping for another person, is take their measurements.

Waist,

Hip,

and the length of the pants and if she is of Asian heritage, I would start in the petite or juniors/misses section.

• 3 weeks later...

The garment industry bases the measurements and sizes of clothes on something they call "the drop factor" and this varies from country to country based on the average size of the population. Hence, size medium in say Thailand represents the everage size of the average Thai male or female and will bear no resemblance to the average size used in any other country. There is unfortunately no chart that corelates the drop factor between different countries since the difference between drop factors can be minor or huge based on the countries being compared. Additionally, in Thailand the garment industry has departed from accepted norms (surprise suprise) by introducing their own sets of standards so as to cater to the tourist trade, hence XXXXL etc. Now this is all useful trivia but doesn't really help you with your problem other than that whilst you may find clothes in one shop that match to a certain number and fit you well, you should not rely on that number since dimensions will change from supplier to supplier.