Police stop this morning

garryjohns

14 hours ago, arithai12 said:

I have always kept a copy of my green book in the seat of the scooter, like many. No one ever told me to, but it seems logical that if you want to prove ownership of the vehicle you are driving you need to carry something. The OP now knows.

To those that like to point out that in AUS or UK you don't need to carry the proof of registration in your vehicle, fine, but you are playing with words. The bottom line is that also there you need to have proof of registration. I don't know what is the big hassle of having a copy with you. Personally I would find that having to go to a police station within a time limit is a bigger burden than paying 200B on the spot.

To those that bash the road police and their bias against farangs: the OP said that all were being stopped. Frankly, I have had maybe one, max two road checks per year since I drive in Chiang Mai and I have always found them decent. Try for a moment to imagine yourselves in their boots, living with their salary, working under sun and rain. Sure the helmet checks are a joke, but in the end it's their skull not mine.

Yes, now i know that in this particular country i have to carry the papers.

However,this is not at all simply logical as you say,  I mean, in 35 years driving i have never,ever been asked to produce such papers.[until this one and only time right here in this developing country ]..how can it be "logical" to suddenly have to do so?

Also, you say that it is " playing with words" to not carry papers in AUS and UK..it is not at all, it is written law that you do not have to carry and if needed you have to produce if asked and have a set time to do so.

As has been posted and confirmed, all this information is available to cops immediately, and mostly before they even talk to you in person.They will ask who is the vehicle registered to, and if you tell them the correct info.."Viola", no problem!! so easy huh. 

As for the drivers licence, yes some developed countries it must be carried and produced when requested, but also it is law in many to simply have 24 hours and up to produce it .

I always carry mine,in any country as is handy ID if needed. :smile:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/29/2016 at 5:47 PM, Chiengmaijoe said:

Not everyone chooses the possibility of brain damage over the inconvenience of producing a few papers, but then again there's a good chance that those that do may not have much of a brain to start with!

You need to start using that great brain of yours to identify subtle dry humor