Importer of Vespa motorcycles faces over 500 million tax evasion charges

webfact

3 hours ago, Sphere said:

Isn't it just 5% for import from Vietnam under AFTA?

That's what I was thinking? but that would have only come into effect from the beginning of the "treaty"/agreement which was the first of this year - ?

Well here is some further information of relevance to the topic.

Vespa only reentered the market in 2010.

The bikes from Vietname are subject to AFTA but some models are from elsewhere and get 60% +

"

Mai and three friends invested a total 20 million baht (about US$615,000) to set up Vespiario (Thailand) Co., Ltd. and are selling four models between 150 cc and 300 cc; the LX150, GTV250, GTS250, and GTS300 Super.

The key bike is the LX150, which is manufactured near Hanoi in Vietnam, and because of AFTA (the ASEAN Free Trade Area), the opening price is 99,000 baht (about US$3,000).

But, said Mai, that is a "get things started" price and will have to go up.

The other three models are made in Italy with the cheapest selling for B285,000 (US$8,800), the higher price much due to a 60 percent import duty on all imported bikes.

Honda, which commands nearly 70 percent of the Thai motorcycle market, faces no such problem because their bikes are made in Thailand.

"

http://www.chinapost.com.tw/business/company-focus/2010/04/28/254274/p1/Vespa-motor.htm

"The DSI reported that the company imported Vespa motorcycles into the country from Vietnam by sea through Laem Chabang deep-sea port and by air through Suvarnabhumi international airport "

And why did the Thai Custom Department allow these good to pass across these well protected borders ?

10 hours ago, sandgroper2 said:

I agree. The reporters should  have all the facts, how it was done, who was responsible, who got the tea money etc etc and they should make that info public and not worry about defamation laws.

Reporters have all the facts - in your dreams, they can't even  get a simple domestic story straight with any worthwhile facts and report it in understandable English.

13 hours ago, Alive said:

Only the rich buy Vespas is my guess and those folks are all for avoiding taxes.

Import Duty and VAT not paid but scooters charged to the customer as if they had been?

Cheating the Taxman and the customer at the same time.

16 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

Yes I was trying to do the math on that as well. I doubt if even 500 million baht worth were sold in these 3 years. I hardly ever see one. 

There is a decent population here in Bangkok, mostly younger "trendy" folks who own them, most are stashed away in "secured" condominium or at home where it's safe from the thieving hands that lurk.

I was relieved of 2 scooters within a 3 month period at the same "secured" parking when I first relocated here in 2014.

21 hours ago, hansnl said:

Oh dear, oh dear.

An Italian, well, sort of, company brought to court about tax evasion charges.

In Thailand.

Interesting!

Get real, this is going to be a Thai company, nothing to do with Italy or the company that makes Vespas.

It's what Thai companies do best - screw their govt.

Actually that's what companies all over the world do, if they can get away with it. Creative accounting etc.

17 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

Yes I was trying to do the math on that as well. I doubt if even 500 million baht worth were sold in these 3 years. I hardly ever see one. 

I'm not so sure.  I see tons of them in BKK, but a lot of their models nowadays look so similar to the Japanese bikes that they don't stand out like to classics.

22 hours ago, slapout said:

This is nothing but payoff by the Thai company who has rights for the distribution of this motorcycle in Thailand and the Thai customs personel at the ports the cycles were/are shipped to.

Vespiario Thailand Company is not an official Piaggio importer / distributor !!!

They just import them from Vietnam. 

Just ask Piaggio / Vespa who's their importer / distributor in Thailand... They don't have one. They will say that Vespiario Thailand Company is doing parallel imports without an official license.  It is just the same as my company was importing Aprilia motorcycles. We weren't an official distributor or importer as Aprilia hasn't got one in Thailand. Aprilia is also a Piaggio company.

Edited by FredNL

7 hours ago, Xircal said:

They look pretty old fashioned compared to a Honda Click for example: http://pattayatravelblog.com/tag/honda-click-125i-scooter

The Click is also half the price of the Vespa equivalent.

You miss the point.

The Vespa scooters made by Piaggio and a similar Lambretta (defunct) previously made by Innocenti are a 70 year old iconic design that appeals to people who don't wish to be seen on a Honda Click or equivalent and can afford to pay twice the price of a Japanese scooter..  A little like the kind of buyers who can afford a Mini over a Toyota Yaris..

50 years ago in England the Mods on Vespas and Lambrettas  battled Rockers who rode real motorcycles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vespa

On 9/30/2016 at 1:01 PM, Khon Kaen Dave said:

Ahhh,the Vespa 180 ss.Thats the one that was the favourite in the 70/80's.

They were a fab bike.And i think,the 180 was the biggest engine that they put into a scooter then.

The Lamberetta 200 sx came next,followed by the SX 225.

I preferred the Lambereatta because of its slim lines.

Margate and Brighton were a must for Bank holidays in those days.

Long forgotten until 'Quadraphenia'  hit the screens.

Phil Daniels,Sting etc.Pork pie hats and parka coats.Squirral tails and dancing to midnight Ska.

Forgotten until i was in Soi Buokhow a few yaers ago,and the was a bar called the Marquee.Red and white stripes,pictures of the who and small faces.And lo!there was a Vespa and a lamberetta(with white wall tyres)inthe bar.The girls uniforms reflected the age as well.

s still there? Perhaps someone can let me know.

Thanx

I think you meant the mid to late 60's Dave? 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mods_and_rockers

8 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

You miss the point.

The Vespa scooters made by Piaggio and a similar Lambretta (defunct) previously made by Innocenti are a 70 year old iconic design that appeals to people who don't wish to be seen on a Honda Click or equivalent and can afford to pay twice the price of a Japanese scooter..  A little like the kind of buyers who can afford a Mini over a Toyota Yaris..

50 years ago in England the Mods on Vespas and Lambrettas  battled Rockers who rode real motorcycles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vespa

Do Thais care about iconic designs d'you think? They just want whatever's in vogue i.e. what's being advertised on the box and as cheap as possible unless a farang happens to be paying for it.

3 minutes ago, Xircal said:

Do Thais care about iconic designs d'you think? They just want whatever's in vogue i.e. what's being advertised on the box and as cheap as possible unless a farang happens to be paying for it.

Generally speaking, NO. However there are enough well-heeled young Thais with enough disposable income to be able to afford that rather quirky little Vespa that isn't the same as all the ones down at the 7-11 and not advertised on soap operas.

Most Thais that can afford to buy a motorbike / scooter will settle for the much cheaper, reliable Honda, Yamaha, Kawsaki etc.The Mini is an iconic design and the rich Thais seem to like them.

20 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

Generally speaking, NO. However there are enough well-heeled young Thais with enough disposable income to be able to afford that rather quirky little Vespa that isn't the same as all the ones down at the 7-11 and not advertised on soap operas.

Most Thais that can afford to buy a motorbike / scooter will settle for the much cheaper, reliable Honda, Yamaha, Kawsaki etc.The Mini is an iconic design and the rich Thais seem to like them.

How many Vespas have you seen in Phuket today? I think most young Thais wouldn't be seen dead on one of those.

48 minutes ago, Xircal said:

How many Vespas have you seen in Phuket today? I think most young Thais wouldn't be seen dead on one of those.

Fortunately, I dont' live on Phuket and I suspect more Vespas are sold in the Bangkok area than that place. Most young Thais can't afford a Vespa anyway.

However not much point in continuing this discussion , we've both made our points.  Touche.

Ratcatcher.

Yep,i think you could be right,probably was the 60's.But great days anyway. Mohair suits and parka coats,Rodney Harrington,bomber jackets and Levis (at 39 and 6d) a pair.College boy haircuts and Ben Sherman's.pork pie hats and Crombie over coats.Smooth top and brogue shoes by Sachas in Bond st.Dancing to Moonlight Ska,and Blues(amphetamines) 10 for a pound.getting the milk train home from Charing Cross at 4.30 in the morning,after a night out in the west end, and trying to convince your mum that you'd been a good boy.

It seems like only yesterday.:smile:

On 30/09/2016 at 9:15 PM, Artisi said:

Reporters have all the facts - in your dreams, they can't even  get a simple domestic story straight with any worthwhile facts and report it in understandable English.

Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

16 hours ago, Xircal said:

Thats why