Nightime roamings

sixlegs

Yes, not just in the evening either...., hello ! that's the way it can be in almost any aspirational city in the world.  
In the usually quiet soi I stay, there's a guy who uses the soi as a short cut...., set your watch by him in the am...,  rides what sounds an unmufflered 2 stroke. I winge about him for a mili-second, and then he's gone..., and peace returns.
That's the way it will remain..., until he takes himself out(and hopefully no-one else). This ain't Kansas Dorothy !  

Yes, it's "Look at me!"  But that's because they can get by with it. 

I'm sure that young guys (and some older ones too) back home where we can from would do the same if they could get by with it.  In fact, it would no doubt be worse because most of the kids back home have more money for such hell-raising.

8 hours ago, JaseTheBass said:

I've always found rural Thailand to be noisier than urban Thailand.

Depends what part of rural Thailand you choose. At my wifes parents farm in Petchabun the only noise is birds and the very occasional barking farm dog doing his job.

The old story check it out before you settle and hope it stays the same,there are no guarantees in life.

there are plenty of quiet places to live in bankok; do some research before buying/renting - i live in a wonderful apartment in a very quiet soi

if you think rural Thailand is a quiet place to live just look at some of the postings on the subject on this site.

"Retard" when one means antisocial speaks to the level of understanding and vocabulary of the writer. It insults unnecessarily those who by birth or injury are of diminished capacity. They struggle enough. Show compassion.

1 hour ago, hmficc said:

"Retard" when one means antisocial speaks to the level of understanding and vocabulary of the writer. It insults unnecessarily those who by birth or injury are of diminished capacity. They struggle enough. Show compassion.

You  missed one. The Op made a reference to 'lunatics'. They need a champion too, surely. It's quite a challenge to find the right words to insult people these days, without offending not the people that might vaguely be insulted, but rather the people that are offended on their behalf.

I live in village in the NE.  It used to be quiet with just the odd mirror -festooned lorry passing by with a sawn-off dustbin exhaust system. We now have school children riding motor cycles with the exhaust silencer cut in half and the baffles poked out. All day at weekends and when they ride to and from school..... the sound can be heard over 2 km away. Anti social behavior which seems to be accepted by the village folk.  Is there a maximum decibel figure that motor cycles/ vehicles have to adhere to ?  

Being a Grumpy Old Man I get annoyed by most of the loud noise from outside the house

My neighbour returned from Norway last week, 3 hours after getting home his retarded wife was screaming at him full volume

I sometimes wish I had a very loud bike  :omfg:   

11 hours ago, hmficc said:

Nope, retard seems a good description. They certainly are of diminished capacity.

You can easily see who is a complete retard by the way they modify their vehicle, be it a motorcycle or a car or a truck. For the motorcycle the first telltale of course is the change of muffler to a sound amplifier (similar to the clothing pin with the cardboard paper you put on your bike as a kid at the wheel to make a flap flap noise). And then there is the additional lights everywhere....For the sedan it is the stupid wing added to the back of the car, like the F1 wings, and for the Pickup (and some sedans) the ultimate stupidity is of course the modification into a mobile Loudspeaker-come disco with all the lights and shit....And when you pass these guys you realize they are 30+ something.....

Edited by AlQaholic

1 hour ago, dotpoom said:

When I am feeling the same as yourself, I am quickly brought back to the days of my own youth, a time when all us teenagers were  wanabe "Evil Kinevels".

My brother who is 71 had a BSA Gold Star in the mid '60s and going up through the tunnel near where we lived the noise from that high comp. engine was awesome.  Now he says hanging is too good for anyone making that racket.

On 10/2/2016 at 6:43 AM, Sparkles said:

Get used to it or move to a rural area.Not going to change.In fact it will get worse as population increases.

Yes a good idea. Trade this in for roosters street dogs and drunks on motorcycles. Before long the inter village telegraph will know more about you than you do. There is no quiet place in Thailand. I live in a condo and after the BIB roll up the carpet and go home the motorbike racers take over the street and roar up and down till dawn. Sooo endure the Vampire nighttime vehicle operators. Its about as good as its going to get. Valium may be the only answer. Each year as you age you have to up the dosage. 

On October 2, 2016 at 7:52 AM, JaseTheBass said:

I've always found rural Thailand to be noisier than urban Thailand.

Are you kidding I can hear a mouse fart from fifty meters here on the edge of my village of about 2000 people. The cities here are insanely noisy 24/7.

On Sunday, October 02, 2016 at 7:17 AM, Chiengmaijoe said:

It's called 'being young and foolish' and is a common phenomenon throughout the world.Older people find it more annoying.

Excuse me for removing the 'young' from your post, as most thai men have a 14 yr old brain, the age is immaterial. Black smoke and excessive noise exert their 'manliness' over all other mortals they come across. Black smoke and no exhaust being the cheapest way of annoying people, those higher up the attention seeking ladder fit a gigawatt sound system as well.

In Bkk, Krungthonburi road between Sathorn bridge and Wonvienyai bts (is like a highway, just bikes I counted 50 in 1 minute) the bikes are in race mode like on circuit and decibel are over the limit. I like bikes and MotoGP + Superbike racing but in the city where are lots of condominiums is absurd.

Police could do a check control. I believe there is a rule in the driving code about this and we should file a claim to Police headquarter.

Are you kidding I can hear a mouse fart from fifty meters here on the edge of my village of about 2000 people. The cities here are insanely noisy 24/7.

Not at all. Sukhumvit 23 in Bangkok was really peaceful and now just off Niman in CM is good too. Rural Udon was the worst (unless you like Morlam thudding all night) and Sankampaeng wasn't great either.

1 minute ago, JaseTheBass said:

Not at all. Sukhumvit 23 in Bangkok was really peaceful and now just off Niman in CM is good too. Rural Udon was the worst (unless you like Morlam thudding all night) and Sankampaeng wasn't great either.

I don't think much of the coup, but the total ban on all elections sure has quieted things down, Man those trucks with 8' speakers in the back I sure don't miss. A guy really needs to watch out for nearby temples before buying too.