Pound drops to lowest level since 1985 

webfact

A tough position to be sure but the negotiating position from the EU side is far tougher with both the number of national and regional parliaments that would need to be consulted along with the potential for changes to national leaderships during any negotiating period. Chances are that the EU would need to spend at least two years discussing amongst themselves what they were prepared to allow then offering it to the UK on a take it or leave it basis - could be why May and others seem keen on the 'hard brexit' approach as it is politically easier to carry off than the possible embarrassment of being seen to be supplicant to the whatever the EU gives us.

Interesting theory and it could well be possible. I still however believe that "hard Brexit " is the only option available for both sides regardless on negotiating time frames. The reasons are well known to everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

No, it's not deluded. It's a perfectly reasonable course of action for the country to take with suppliers, most of whom already grossly overcharge us and are pretty-much imposed on us by the EU.

an utmost ridiculous claim :cheesy:

There's just no pleasing remainers: it's as though they want the news to be bad all the time.

As somebody who was pro-remain & earlier saved approx s$500SGD getting these beauties for my trip next week...

83ab747f2322a9fce934a6576a669c77.jpg

I can assure you that I'm hoping/wishing for nothing but positive news from the UK.

Whatever ones views, the decision was "Out" so let's get on with getting the best from it[emoji1303]

11 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

Your debating style is really 'mature', isn't it?

It is when I have to listen to conspiracy theories about TVF posters having multiple aliases in the same thread, it's the stuff of children!

2 hours ago, theoldgit said:

That's an interesting set of figures, do I read it correctly that the UK imported US$165bn more than it exported last year? 
Are we really going to reverse that figure when we leave the UK, or are we kidding ourselves?

The actual trade gap this year is about 46 billion Pounds, up slightly last month at 5.6 billion Pounds. But that includes goods and services which the link I posted does not, perhaps that's the difference.

1 hour ago, Orac said:

Germany seem to be making it clear that politics and integrity of the single market take priority over trade with the uk with unambiguous statements from key industry lobbies in the linked article.

http://www.economist.com/news/europe/21708720-unfortunately-brexiteers-bmw-cannot-tell-angela-merkel-what-do-german-business-lobbyists?fsrc=scn/tw/te/pe/ed/germanbusinesslobbyistswillnotstoptariffsagainstbritain

Merkel will probably be history after next year's elections, and the replacement coalition are going to be far, far less pro-EU. Let's see what happens then.

11 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

It is when I have to listen to conspiracy theories about TVF posters having multiple aliases in the same thread, it's the stuff of children!

Everything that contradicts your mish-mash of contradictory, bullying arguments is the stuff of children to you :sad:.

20 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

I was referring, as you well know, to the rest of the world and not the EU.

And I was pointing out that the UK doesn't have to buy jack sh1t of the overpriced EU produce/products if the EU wants a 'hard' deal (as you well know). We will be free to negotiate far better deals anywhere we want. Or is the rest of the world in on the EU's supposed mission to make an example of us?:laugh:

Merkel will probably be history after next year's elections, and the replacement coalition are going to be far, far less pro-EU. Let's see what happens then.

At that point if May follows with her timetable the 2yr period will have been reduced to 17 months, any deals in progress might be required to be scraped or revisited.

At the end of 2 yrs with UK sovereignty reclaimed any deal could be  scuppered by Luxembourg. 

22 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

No, it's not deluded. It's a perfectly reasonable course of action for the country to take with suppliers, most of whom already grossly overcharge us and are pretty-much imposed on us by the EU.

Yes, the Brits are overcharged - compared to other countries, but the companies and Brit. population putting up with OTT prices are more to blame than the EU who, (IMO) are only responsible for higher prices as a result of agricultural/fishing policies etc.

I gather Unilever were 'shown the door' by Tesco, and that is good news for all of us.  Personally, I'll make a point from now on to avoid Unilever products :smile:.

29 minutes ago, Johnyo said:

Interesting theory and it could well be possible. I still however believe that "hard Brexit " is the only option available for both sides regardless on negotiating time frames. The reasons are well known to everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I'm beginning to think the same thing.

As previous posters have pointed out, its uncertainty that causes most of the problems.

Previously I thought it was better to delay - waiting to see what happened with other EU countries that are far from happy.  But as sterling is crashing anyway - perhaps better to just get on with it.

33 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

I think you're probably right.

Its not only the UK population that have had enough with EU policies and waste - and I doubt its only the Brit. public that have learned about the ridiculous EU politician salaries/pensions etc.

1 hour ago, Orac said:

A tough position to be sure but the negotiating position from the EU side is far tougher with both the number of national and regional parliaments that would need to be consulted along with the potential for changes to national leaderships during any negotiating period. Chances are that the EU would need to spend at least two years discussing amongst themselves what they were prepared to allow then offering it to the UK on a take it or leave it basis - could be why May and others seem keen on the 'hard brexit' approach as it is politically easier to carry off than the possible embarrassment of being seen to be supplicant to the whatever the EU gives us.

Possible, but I think hard Brexit is favoured for silly ideological reasons and greed.

You can all rabbit all you want about UK import/exports, but in the finances of the personal lives that actually affect yourselves and other expats on a daily basis which can be counted, the exchange rate currently dwarfs any other factor you care to mention and will continue to do so.

48 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Yes, the Brits are overcharged - compared to other countries, but the companies and Brit. population putting up with OTT prices are more to blame than the EU who, (IMO) are only responsible for higher prices as a result of agricultural/fishing policies etc.

I gather Unilever were 'shown the door' by Tesco, and that is good news for all of us.  Personally, I'll make a point from now on to avoid Unilever products :smile:.

Unilever had their wrists slapped over their attempted price gouge. This is the face of things to come. The UK has put up with this nonsense for so long because of it's membership of the EU. The gravy train's over now we're leaving, and EU suppliers are going to have to compete for our market share at real world prices. Good for us.

1 hour ago, Khun Han said:

Remainers on here were hailing the Japanese statement about brexit as a warning that brexit would lose the UK most of it's foreign investment. That has proven to be wrong, with investor-after-investor committing it's future. I said at the time that PM May and her government would look after the interests of Nissan et al, and I was derided. Well, PM May and her government are doing exactly what I predicted (surprise surprise). And remainers are still trying to put a negative spin on it. And playing the second guessing game in doing so, too! There's just no pleasing remainers: it's as though they want the news to be bad all the time.

Foreign direct investment WILL dry up unless May buys the business using tax payers money.

OK Mr Ghosn, I understand your worries, how about we give you 500M of our nice British pounds and a tax holiday. But you have to forget your partner Renault and not build the new model in France which is logically your best business option!

Ill bet you that every potential foreign direct investor is going to screw May, if you'll pardon the expression. 

Who is is going to end up carrying the can? The numpties that just wanted a better life.....

BTW Han, this gives me no pleasure at all. In fact I'm pissed off.

4 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

You can all rabbit all you want about UK import/exports, but in the finances of the personal lives that actually affect yourselves and other expats on a daily basis which can be counted, the exchange rate currently dwarfs any other factor you care to mention and will continue to do so.

I agree as my income has been screwed by the sterling crash.

Does this mean that I want the UK to continue supporting the overpaid, wasteful EU? 

No.  I want the EU to reform and realise that they're an overpaid/expansionist bureaucracy that needs to cut both on both of these unwanted and undesired aspects.

5 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Foreign direct investment WILL dry up unless May buys the business using tax payers money.

OK Mr Ghosn, I understand your worries, how about we give you 500M of our nice British pounds and a tax holiday. But you have to forget your partner Renault and not build the new model in France which is logically your best business option!

Ill bet you that every potential foreign direct investor is going to screw May, if you'll pardon the expression. 

Who is is going to end up carrying the can? The numpties that just wanted a better life.....

BTW Han, this gives me no pleasure at all. In fact I'm pissed off.

Personally, I can't see the point in making a post which is based around guessing (in the most negative possible way) what was discussed between PM May and Carlos Ghosn.

Unilever had their wrists slapped over their attempted price gouge. This is the face of things to come. The UK has put up with this nonsense for so long because of it's membership of the EU. The gravy train's over now we're leaving, and EU suppliers are going to have to compete for our market share at real world prices. Good for us.

Its not only EU companies that have been overcharging UK consumers.

I can remember a holiday in the US (a long time ago), and being shocked that US prices were around 50% of UK prices.

Just now, dick dasterdly said:

Does this mean that I want the UK to continue supporting the overpaid, wasteful EU? 

No.  I want the EU to reform and realise that they're an overpaid/expansionist bureaucracy that needs to cut both on both of these unwanted and undesired aspects.

Yes, you are getting screwed. I am less interested in what you want, what you really, really want, zigazig ha.

Wrong again, Han (it's not Hans is it?)

The Germans are VERY pro the European project for multiple reasons which would take a book to explain. Sure they would like some changes and many are against Merkel's moralistic stance on asylum seekers. But, if you think the Germans would like to break or leave the EU, you just don't know what you're talking about. Do you read the German press? I do ?

And I was pointing out that the UK doesn't have to buy jack sh1t of the overpriced EU produce/products if the EU wants a 'hard' deal (as you well know). We will be free to negotiate far better deals anywhere we want. Or is the rest of the world in on the EU's supposed mission to make an example of us?:laugh:

Yeah! Much better to by Chinese cars than that German rubbish. And as for Veuve Cliquot, give me a bottle of Bud any day. 

Peasants

12 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

5 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Yes, you are getting screwed. I am less interested in what you want, what you really, really want, zigazig ha.

Thank you for pointing out how some posters prefer to rely on ridiculous comments.

At least we know you're a fan of the spice girls.

1 hour ago, dick dasterdly said:

I think you're probably right.

Its not only the UK population that have had enough with EU policies and waste - and I doubt its only the Brit. public that have learned about the ridiculous EU politician salaries/pensions etc.

What EU policies do you disapprove of?

Euro based salaries are looking even juicier now ?

3 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Yeah! Much better to by Chinese cars than that German rubbish. And as for Veuve Cliquot, give me a bottle of Bud any day. 

Peasants

Grouse, Grouse, calm down. Everybody will still be able to buy French champagne and German cars. And any currency discrepancies and tarriffs will be negated by them adjusting their profit margins to European ones. That's if they want to sell anything in the UK, of course.

19 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

Personally, I can't see the point in making a post which is based around guessing (in the most negative possible way) what was discussed between PM May and Carlos Ghosn.

The FT has some clues - apparently one thing they are looking at is leaving part of Sunderland and some other bits in the EU...

IMG_0454.JPG

16 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

So how do you think that nice Mr Ghosn negotiated? You think they had a Trump moment: "Show me your's Teresa, honey, and I'll build a new plant for you"?  Don't be so damn silly.

Of course there will be horse trading. I'll bet Hollande has already got his cheque book out ?

10 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Wrong again, Han (it's not Hans is it?)

The Germans are VERY pro the European project for multiple reasons which would take a book to explain. Sure they would like some changes and many are against Merkel's moralistic stance on asylum seekers. But, if you think the Germans would like to break or leave the EU, you just don't know what you're talking about. Do you read the German press? I do ?

You may well be right.  As Germany is the obvious leader of the EU, its quite possible that the Germans are prepared to accept the downsides.

Are the other EU countries?

We don't know about how either German citizens feel about it, or the population of other countries - that are suffering far more.