Half Full Monty Python! Dog lovers look away now....

webfact

3 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

I get your point, but this was in the daytime, and had a small child encountered this reptile, it's frantic  screams would have attracted attention. A dog frantically barking is ignored.

I am guessing this was a Burmese python.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burmese_python

Sadly, in this case, the dog's owner was in bed, heard the dog frantically barking and decided to roll over and nap a bit longer.

I have a G S dog and I can tell by the sound of his bark whether he is playing or is warning someone etc. 

It is a reticulated python

2 hours ago, Artisi said:

Cull cull and cull again until the place is free of mangy and dangerous soi dogs. Anyone caught dumping a dog on the streets, very healthy fine .

But wait, all the "experts" and dog lovers will be along soon to tell us once again that culling doesn't work, quoting their new knowledge gained from the Internet put there by other dog lovers who of course only even quote and facts and extensive research on the subject. 

Thais are responsible for this problem, not the dogs. I'd endorse a culling of Thai men long before a cull of dogs. 

7 hours ago, hugh2121 said:

Oh really? Where does your "expert" misinformation come from?

The dogs are not the root of the problem, it is people!

The knowledge comes from common sense not the internet.

So, you want to kill all the dogs. How the hell are you going to stop PEOPLE from going out and getting new puppies then turning them out onto the street when they grow up? And so the cycle would begin again. There is more than one solution to the problem. Unfortunately, no PERSON will enforce any of them.

As I said, the problem is caused by people and that is where to look for solutions.

Not too difficult to understand that the rate of dumping dogs on the street and their breeding would be a lot less than the number removed with regular culls each year.

5 hours ago, hdkane said:

Thais are responsible for this problem, not the dogs. I'd endorse a culling of Thai men long before a cull of dogs. 

why just the men?

But you are correct in blaming the Thais for the initial problem of dumping and then the feeding of the soi dogs, but they are not responsible (indirectly they are) for the ongoing breeding of the soi dogs, that is cured by culling - no dogs on the street no - breeding - its not rocket science. 

Edited by Artisi

On 06/10/2016 at 1:45 PM, gdgbb said:

People are not the main problem, cull all soi dogs and very few, if any, will replace them  because the soi dog problem is caused by the dogs breeding in the sois, not by hundreds of them being dumped by owners.

People most certainly are the problem. However, you are correct in that hundreds will not be dumped by owners. What you have overlooked is that those who are dumped will not have been neutered and so will breed again. It's a vicious circle and the only way to break that circle is force people to look after the dogs they purchase for their entire life, not just 6 months or so. In Thailand and most other countries in the area, there is nobody to enforce this so the problem will persist. Where do you imagine the current soi dogs came from?

6 hours ago, hugh2121 said:

People most certainly are the problem. However, you are correct in that hundreds will not be dumped by owners. What you have overlooked is that those who are dumped will not have been neutered and so will breed again. It's a vicious circle and the only way to break that circle is force people to look after the dogs they purchase for their entire life, not just 6 months or so. In Thailand and most other countries in the area, there is nobody to enforce this so the problem will persist. Where do you imagine the current soi dogs came from?

Yes they may well breed, but less dogs less breeding and annual or bi-annual culls will sort that problem quick smart.

One of the do goody dog associations suggests there are millions of soi dogs and cats on the street of Thailand, probably an over estimation on their  part but lets face it they are looking for money so dress up the story a bit.  So for starters, lets remove 1 million and its unlikely another 1 million will be dumped in the short term - so the effect of culling is already in the positive.