"We are on top of everything" say Thai police amid heightened security threat

webfact

Quote:  He referenced those responsible for the outrages in seven provinces in August could be behind new threats. The bombers remain at large.

So who have they just rounded up?
Usually the scapegoats are found after the crime, not before it's committed.

They really are on top of their game !!

Being a tip-off from a foreign source doesn't stop the self-congratulations: the bumbling Iranians who hurled a hand grenade at a taxi only to have it bounce back at them ( and blow the legs off one of them) was an Israeli tip. They had been acquiring a massive amount of chemicals for explosive devices, apparently without being noticed.

A car bomber/truck not to mention some idiot with a suitcase bomb is very very very hard to stop until after the booming fact.

I for one wish them all the good luck there is in stopping another bombing regardless of the reasons why.

They certainly don't stop any one at mall entrances. I always wonder if thats just for show, but I have never been stopped when walking into a mall, through the metal detector with the security guard next to it. Every mall in Bangkok.. neither my wife has to open her handbag. It always beeps, just like when walking into 711.. Going into a mall is always followed by 'beep beep beep beep' depending on the amount of people in front or behind you. Only when taking the MRT or BTS they sometimes ask her to open the bag, but they glance for half a second and that's it. 

Edited by JerryinTH

Sorry to be cynical and all, but all this seems a bit contrived. Are we sure the threat of bombs is real and not just the army shoring up for an imminent catastrophe?  Floods? Cold weather? Prawits teerak getting a cold after definitely not going to Hawaii at tax-payers expense? Prawit himself losing a few pounds? Prayuth getting a sudden fit of the sensibles?

No? OK.

2 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

He is correct in saying these threats happen everywhere else in the world. For some reason I do not derive the same level of comfort as I would in my home country (I am opening a can of worms by making this statement no doubt)

Depends where your home country is. 

Aussie, Brit, Yank, Jap then you can be fairly comfortable. Still have problems but better than most.

French or German - a tad less comfortable based on recent events.

Belgian - be worried, very uncomfortable.

Here - same as anywhere in Asia with the exception of Japan, South Korea and China.

Let me see if it is clear to me.

Australian security Told them there is gonna be a car bomb attack. RTP got together at the national police HQ.

Nothing is gonna happen. we sit on top of it.

nothing is gonna happen because they come together, or are they gonna sit on top of the bombcar.

somebody here is very stupid. Is it me, the RTP,  the journalist, i dont know it anymore.

What beats me is why, everytime some foreign agency or country notifies a threat, Thai authorities seem to go into a habitual spree of denial, glossing over and eventual "on top of it" iterations. By now it should be common knowledge to them that the whole world faces multiple threats and there is nothing shameful in admitting that danger does exist despite the best efforts and that all information has to be treated seriously. That, I am sure, will do more to instill confidence and co-operation among common people than these grandiose "we are in full control" comic acts.

I was planing a trip actually but .....

Edited by HereIAm