Diplomatic talks between US and Russia resume in Switzerland to discuss Syria peace.

rooster59

Diplomatic talks between US and Russia resume in Switzerland to discuss Syria peace.

Luke Barber

606x341_346735.jpg

Syria peace talks have resumed in Switzerland after the failure of a short-lived ceasefire that led the US to break of diplomatic discussions with Russia.

Meeting in Lausanne, US Secretary of State John Kerry and Russian foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov will be joined by delegates from Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Iran and Qatar to try and secure a peace deal.

The US withdrew its cooperation with Russia over Syria after a painstakingly drafted armistice agreement swiftly fell apart.

Many saw the brief truce in September as the last chance for peace in Syria this year.

As fresh fighting erupts and pro-Assad and Russian forces continue airstrikes on Aleppo, many are playing down any hopes of a breakthrough.

Charities are calling for a 72-hour ceasefire to deliver much needed aid to the worst hit areas, but Kerry was quoted on Friday as saying he had no “special expectations” for the talks.

An unnamed French source told AFP: “When you see the results from the previous efforts, quite frankly I’m a bit sceptical about the next ones.”

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-10-16

No room for a ceasefire at the moment. The Syrian military with its Russian allies have their foot on the terrorist's throats in the battle for Aleppo. It would mean all those gains would be lost. Best to keep the pressure on until ALL elements that don't wear Syrian Army greens lay down their weapons or are destroyed in place. 

I'm a bit confused about the peace deal, I see the media calling out for it every day, but the why eludes me. So what is the West after, a permanent Al Qaeda or ISIS enclave in Aleppo? So, wouldn't it then be used to keep recruiting and training more Jihadists? Or does anyone imagine they will all then renounce violence and just pray and drink lattes all day? Does the population want to live under a Jihadist regime? The Taliban were evil but this mob are somehow OK, in what way?

I see the media railing against the Aleppo bombings, however the bombing of other places such as Mosul, Yemen or Afghanistan is all perfectly alright. Seems to me the US should just hammer Mosul and the Russians Aleppo, the end result although bloody, will result in liberated cities and a lot a dead Jihadists. Then send in the aid and support so they don't all immigrate to Europe.

The Russians better play nice if not the Americans will not get out their check book after its all over to rebuild the country. Russia on the other hand is to broke to participate (They have no treasury bonds to sell) The Russians want to prop up a dictator who seems with brutal methods keep the people in line much like Gaddafi and Saddam Hussein did. But the Americans want to dislocate him or kill him so the country can fall into turmoil much like Libya and Iraq have oh wait we are there now silly me. 

3 hours ago, Rancid said:

I'm a bit confused about the peace deal, I see the media calling out for it every day, but the why eludes me. So what is the West after, a permanent Al Qaeda or ISIS enclave in Aleppo? So, wouldn't it then be used to keep recruiting and training more Jihadists? Or does anyone imagine they will all then renounce violence and just pray and drink lattes all day? Does the population want to live under a Jihadist regime? The Taliban were evil but this mob are somehow OK, in what way?

I see the media railing against the Aleppo bombings, however the bombing of other places such as Mosul, Yemen or Afghanistan is all perfectly alright. Seems to me the US should just hammer Mosul and the Russians Aleppo, the end result although bloody, will result in liberated cities and a lot a dead Jihadists. Then send in the aid and support so they don't all immigrate to Europe.

The West is trying to stop the worst humanitarian disaster in recent history. Too many innocent civilians killed, not terrorists,  as routinely claimed by Syria and it's many allies.

It is a very unfortunate war that is going on now in Syria but too many Country are putting their nose in in the Syrian's business like if the USA did not have enough with Vietnam where they lost, and  Irak,along with Afghanistan and many to be in the future.

They should focus on their own Country and protect it.

1 hour ago, mettech said:

It is a very unfortunate war that is going on now in Syria but too many Country are putting their nose in in the Syrian's business like if the USA did not have enough with Vietnam where they lost, and  Irak,along with Afghanistan and many to be in the future.

They should focus on their own Country and protect it.

What about Iran? Saudi Arabia?  Lebanon? Russia?  Turkey?  Shouldn't they all leave also? They are far more involved than the US.