Last Day For 9-digit Mobile Numbers

george

Thailand's mobile phones goes 10-digit numbers tomorrow

BANGKOK (thaivisa.com): Tomorrow December 1, 2006, Thailand's mobile operators will change all Thai mobile numbers from 9-digits to 10-digits numbers. 9-digit numbers will not work after midnight, the mobile operators AIS and DTAC told thaivisa.com today.

If you still have 9-digits numbers in your phone book, you will be unable to call these stored numbers. All you have to do is to edit your own phone book to include the extra "8" digit for Thai mobile phones.

If your old number was, for example: 01-5432109 your new number is now 081-5432109.

You might want to add an "8" in your phone setting for "SMS Service Centre" as well

Don't forget to inform your international phone friends and colleagues of the new situation. As in the example above, if your international phone number was +6615432109 - from tomorrow it is +66815432109

Fixed phone lines, 'land lines', are not affected by the change.

The alteration of local mobile phones to the 10-digit system was to cope with the kingdom's expanding demand for mobile phone services in coming years, according to the National Telecommunication Commission (NTC).

-- thaivisa.com 2006-11-30

AIS have a download which automatically changes numbers in memory to add the extra 8. Trouble is it not only changes AIS numbers, but some overseas ones too, if you have them on your phone. Better to do the job manually.

There has been more confusion over this issue than there was building the Sistine Chapel.

What could be more simple than just adding an "8" onto your mobile number?

Hope they flip the switch correctly - I cringe when they do this sort of thing. :o

One More thing... when I have called or SMS'd into Thailand from overseas the 08 does not work, I've had to use / dial to the original number (without the additional 8).... It will be interesting to see how much confusion this creates the future from overseas callers if this remains the case.....

...from overseas the 08 does not work, I've had to use / dial to the original number (without the additional 8).... It will be interesting to see how much confusion this creates the future from overseas callers if this remains the case.....

I'm overseas. I'll call a friend in the LOS, and try to let you know tomorrow..... :o

Hope they flip the switch correctly - I cringe when they do this sort of thing. :o

One More thing... when I have called or SMS'd into Thailand from overseas the 08 does not work, I've had to use / dial to the original number (without the additional 8).... It will be interesting to see how much confusion this creates the future from overseas callers if this remains the case.....

Two weeks ago, SMS messages from the Philippines to my Thai number did not work without the additional 8, I never received them.

But with the additional 8 prefix, there have been no problems for SMS messages or for phone calls

It works ok now. I've phone using the new number this past week and it seems fine. I was having problems using it last month but I've phone using an Afghan cell phone and a U.k land line and it's been ok

AIS have a download which automatically changes numbers in memory to add the extra 8. Trouble is it not only changes AIS numbers, but some overseas ones too, if you have them on your phone. Better to do the job manually.

I used the AIS program and it worked great. Added the 8 to ONLY Thai cell numbers without changing any other number. I have over 300 contacts (both foreign and domestic) in my phone so for those of you that say it's easy to go through and just add the 8 manually, have fun with that.

Thank you AIS for providing such a program. I doubt it runs on every phone but worked great on my Nokia 6600.

I wonder if //sms.thaivisa.com will allow so send messages to 10 digits numbers from tomorrow on.

Right now it doesn't work and nothing on its web site says about tomorrows changes!

That service becomes useless then...?

The conversion to 10 digits for the Thaivisa SMS service is being finalized as we speak. There will be an announcement on the Thaivisa SMS site at around 23:00pm tonight (BKK time). Please contact them directly via the Support Ticket system if you are experiencing problems.

Did you remember to drop the "0" in front of the 8? Just as before.

AIS shops will also update your numbers for free in just a couple of minutes, without (in my case) messing up any international numbers.

so what will happen if you call a 9 digit number or have an sms sent to a 9 digit number tomorrow onwards ?

I haev registered for some sms services and used 9 digit numbers for sms - i dont use them now, but just wonder what may happen ?

Try it out and you will see.

08 does not work as well as 01 does not work. You have to leave away the 0. This is really very basic international phone call rules isn't it?

BANGKOK (thaivisa.com): Tomorrow December 1, 2006, Thailand's mobile operators will change all Thai mobile numbers from 9-digits to 10-digits numbers. 9-digit numbers will not work after midnight, the mobile operators AIS and DTAC told thaivisa.com today.

If you still have 9-digits numbers in your phone book, you will be unable to call these stored numbers. All you have to do is to edit your own phone book to include the extra "8" digit for Thai mobile phones.

If your old number was, for example: 01-5432109 your new number is now 081-5432109.

You might want to add an "8" in your phone setting for "SMS Service Centre" as well

Don't forget to inform your international phone friends and colleagues of the new situation. As in the example above, if your international phone number was +6615432109 - from tomorrow it is +66815432109

The alteration of local mobile phones to the 10-digit system was to cope with the kingdom's expanding demand for mobile phone services in coming years, according to the National Telecommunication Commission (NTC).

After 11 years living in Thailand I know what an amazing country this is and how amazing its people are or can be. But I had to subscribe to Thaivisa and read into this forum to discover how much more amazing farangs can be. Give them the last inch of a mouse tail and they make you a mammot out of it. Show them an airport ant they list you in no time what all has been done wrong since the first day of planning. Set up a new government and they won't be short of recommandations on what these dummies should do better and differently. Show them a rough statistic or forecast about whatever subject it might be, such as the currency fluctuation, and they revert immediately with their own theories, much better of course and showing that the one who made the forecast doesn't know anything about the subject and better should keep his mouth shut. But tell all these white genies that they have to add an 8 after the 0 of their mobile phone numbers and they start sweating and pissing in their pants seeking for advise to their right and left creating discussion threads that unveal the reality of white intelligence to an extend that one would not have thought possible. Embarrasing, really embarrassing!

After 11 years living in Thailand I know what an amazing country this is and how amazing its people are or can be. But I had to subscribe to Thaivisa and read into this forum to discover how much more amazing farangs can be. Give them the last inch of a mouse tail and they make you a mammot out of it. Show them an airport ant they list you in no time what all has been done wrong since the first day of planning. Set up a new government and they won't be short of recommandations on what these dummies should do better and differently. Show them a rough statistic or forecast about whatever subject it might be, such as the currency fluctuation, and they revert immediately with their own theories, much better of course and showing that the one who made the forecast doesn't know anything about the subject and better should keep his mouth shut. But tell all these white genies that they have to add an 8 after the 0 of their mobile phone numbers and they start sweating and pissing in their pants seeking for advise to their right and left creating discussion threads that unveal the reality of white intelligence to an extend that one would not have thought possible. Embarrasing, really embarrassing!

Great post Mitrapaap!

Just checked the Thaivisa SMS service - updated and working with the extra 8.

G

I wonder if //sms.thaivisa.com will allow so send messages to 10 digits numbers from tomorrow on.

Right now it doesn't work and nothing on its web site says about tomorrows changes!

That service becomes useless then...?

The conversion to 10 digits for the Thaivisa SMS service is being finalized as we speak. There will be an announcement on the Thaivisa SMS site at around 23:00pm tonight (BKK time). Please contact them directly via the Support Ticket system if you are experiencing problems.

I rang Korat last night,11pm Australian time from Brisbane to a mobile with the 8 included.Iwas disconnected 5 times and put on to an incorrect number 6 times.With my limited thai speak it turned out a very interesting night. :o

There has been more confusion over this issue than there was building the Sistine Chapel.

What could be more simple than just adding an "8" onto your mobile number?

I could easily add an eight to my number but then I never need to call myself! :o

Endure, if you have an AIS account you will have to take your phone to one of their Telwiz shops to have the "8" added to your phone.

This is so you can recieve calls, once the 9 digit numbers are eventually phased out.

It is free, quick and painless.

Endure, if you have an AIS account you will have to take your phone to one of their Telwiz shops to have the "8" added to your phone.

This is so you can recieve calls, once the 9 digit numbers are eventually phased out.

What ??

The sim card number is not the same as the phone number. The phone number is linked to the sim card from the exchange so why would you have to change anything on the phone ?

No need to take the phone anywhere! Just add the 8 by yourself. Please do not spread incorrect information. thanks.

so what will happen if you call a 9 digit number or have an sms sent to a 9 digit number tomorrow onwards ?

I haev registered for some sms services and used 9 digit numbers for sms - i dont use them now, but just wonder what may happen ?

Simple, if you send an sms, same charges apply only that your message will not be received by the other party. As for the call, you'll hear a thai recorded message saying it's impossible to reach the number you dialed or something like that. So if you don't wanna be charged for an sms which will surely not be received by anyone, better make the number right.