Mother of slain German gets help from Thailand tourism industry

webfact

Mother of slain German gets help from Thailand tourism industry

Phuket Gazette

pkt22.jpeg          

Volker Schwartges, 46, was killed in cold blood and left for dead behind a music venue in Chaweng. Photos: Gazette file

KOH SAMUI: More than two years after his murder, the alleged killers of a Düsseldorf man named Volker Schwartges are finally set to appear in judicial courts, after official letters of complaint from Germany have put pressure on Thailand’s government.

The 46-year-old Mr Schwartges was attacked by at least four young Samui locals at about 6am on August 20, 2014. Mr Schwartges was kicked, beaten with bottles and bled out in the parking lot behind a music venue in Chaweng, after having his throat slit with a knife.

While the venue has since been closed by the police and the army, for two years there was little word about the case progressing in Thai courts, although ‘Der Farang’ newspaper repeatedly reported on “paralyzed police and judicial processing” holding up the prosecution of Mr Schwartges’ murder.

Although the Royal Thai Embassy in Berlin had responded to an inquest two years ago, according to the ‘Düsseldorfer Express’ newspaper, and the investigations had been forwarded to the public prosecutor’s office in Koh Samui in November 2014, the case never made it to court. The perpetrators, including the main suspect, a 17-year-old, did not spend a single night behind bars.

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Mother-slain-German-gets-help-Thailand-tourism/65738?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pgazette_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2016-10-20

In the original new stories some two years ago, the police had both witnesses and CCTV of the incident, which happened where motorbikes were parked, and caused by some brawl about young Thai lads sitting on (or occupying) a motorbike belonging to the German, who was a bar-owner in Chaweng.

...According to witnesses, the deceased and his Thai girlfriend were in the parking lot of a nightclub on Chaweng Beach when they encountered three teenagers sitting and drinking alcohol on the German's motorcycle

The German man reportedly became angry and began arguing with the teenagers. The three Thais lost their temper, punched the German in his face, beat him with beer bottles, and stabbed his neck with shards of glass, witnesses said.

The suspects fled the scene after the attack, witnesses told police. Medical workers say the victim died from stabbing wounds...
(Khaosod English, 20-08-2014)

The now closed venue "Sound Club" had nothing to do with the motorbike parking area, but was a late night disco with both local and foreign visitors; the German victim had visited Sound Club that night, according to the local news. The motorbike parking area was, and still is, in front of another small club, next to a beer-bar and opposite other beer-bars, in the back area of Chaweng's major legendary disco. It's not really a motorbike parking, but often used as waiting and pick-up place by motorbike taxis; and some foreigners park their bikes also – I have a couple of times noticed the motorbike taxi drivers get irritated over that – at late night there furthermore use to be a street kitchen parked, motorbike with sidecar, selling BBQ sticks at that spot; so some folks can be hanging out right there.

3 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Legendary?

More like Notorious!

Why is Green Mango Club "notorious"..?

– for most tech-music-freaks it's "The" Green Mango; I've even been together with Brits that almost cry, when they finally walk through the entrance to this legendary place...

53 minutes ago, monkey4u said:

Memo to all

Don't get angry with Thai's let them sit on your bike

It was not worth the price he paid

+ 1 Just don't get upset and play the hero. They never fight alone, I was there, done that and I almost got killed by 5 of them.

1 hour ago, lostinisaan said:

+ 1 Just don't get upset and play the hero. They never fight alone, I was there, done that and I almost got killed by 5 of them.

++1, especially for 'don't get upset'. And yes, never 'play'.

Just be aware - and prepared of course - then 5 of them aren't a big deal either ... 

In every country there are dangers you just have to know. Don't tell me the young punks in Scotland with their steel tipped boots will not kick me if I show them the middle finger. When the pubs close in Scotland if you are Asian(like me) you better get a taxi and get the <deleted> out of there before any skinhead appear.

56 minutes ago, madusa said:

In every country there are dangers you just have to know. Don't tell me the young punks in Scotland with their steel tipped boots will not kick me if I show them the middle finger. When the pubs close in Scotland if you are Asian(like me) you better get a taxi and get the <deleted> out of there before any skinhead appear.

Off topic somewhat.

I've not read many reports of Scots ganging up and murdering people, Asians or other, for sitting on parked motor bikes after loosing your temper because the owner tells you to move. Nor have I read reports of mass gangs of marauding skinheads in Scotland making racist attacks. Did read of some second generation Asians murdering a young Scot and setting him on fire.

This was about some youths, drinking underage, possibly doing drugs, savagely murdering a guy who dared tell them to get off his motorbike. A foreigner, with a Thai gf and perceived to have more wealth than them no doubt influenced their decision. Plus the fact that the police normally can't be bothered to do much about it. 

Keep the pressure on German government. Without it they'll let it simply fade away.

4 hours ago, lostinisaan said:

That's terrible, you must have been very seriously hurt, what happened?

1 hour ago, Happy Grumpy said:

When you move to the jungle, be aware that the locals are savages. 

And the rules are jungle rules. Not in the outsider's favour. 

Yeah thats right and I beat feet here when trouble starts, its no place to be a hero.

13 hours ago, khunPer said:

Why is Green Mango Club "notorious"..?

– for most tech-music-freaks it's "The" Green Mango; I've even been together with Brits that almost cry, when they finally walk through the entrance to this legendary place...

U must live a sheltered life.

A legendary club haha

6 hours ago, Sooo Upto Me said:

U must live a sheltered life.

A legendary club haha

"A legendary club". Your better ask the crying Brits about that – I'm pretty unsheltered – or are you just not enlightened enough to ever having heard about any of the Worlds legendary clubs..?:smile:

On 10/22/2016 at 9:10 AM, carmine said:

If the mother were to ask the question to relevant authorities as to why, "if" clearly recorded on cctv committing the crime,  why these three boys are not behind bars i'd be fascinated to hear the explanation.

Not sure that what they would say will make us any wiser.

I rather have the truth.

On ‎20‎.‎10‎.‎2016 at 5:03 PM, monkey4u said:

Memo to all

Don't get angry with Thai's let them sit on your bike

It was not worth the price he paid

No by all means, show some respect let them sit there, give them the moped if it so be ,plus some money remember you are a guest here, and they are holy, by the way had the murdered correct color of the shirt that day is really the big question.

Archived