Hotels in Bangkok cut rates by up to 40% in mourning period

webfact

Hotels cut rates by up to 40% in mourning period
By SUCHAT SRITAMA

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Downtown hotels are slashing room rates by up to 40 per cent from high season tariffs to accommodate people traveling to Bangkok to pay their final respects to the late King Bhumibol Adulyadej.

The Khao San Tourism Business Club has said 14 hotels in inner areas including Khao San Road are offering big discounts of 10 to 40 per cent for mourners. 

The 14 hotels have set aside a limited number of rooms for Bt600 to Bt1,500 per night until next month. 

Siriwan Thongsuwan, manager of Panee Lodge, said the hotel was selling 15 rooms per day for Bt800, out of its 22 rooms.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/business/corporate/30298039

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-10-21

Only for mourners ?

Of course, tourists will hardly be flocking to LoS at this time just to spend most of their time in a discounted room because of the current restrictions and which could change at a moment's notice simply on a whim.

7 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

Sounds more like hotels are forced to lower prices are tourist numbers are dropping to an all-time-low during the high season due to the mourning.

Another article mentions a drop of 70% of tourists:

Smoke and mirrors once again :sad:

I see the reduced price is referenced to ''high season rates'' I was not aware of this being high season.  Seems there is a trend to put a spin on most of what is uttered by some people / groups when they make public announcements.  Add the times you have ecountered the old ''bait and switch'' nor does 10% discount meet my understanding of, high. I think I will pass on travelling to Bangkok for a while and forgo taking advantage of the great deals.

6 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

Sounds more like hotels are forced to lower prices are tourist numbers are dropping to an all-time-low during the high season due to the mourning.

Another article mentions a drop of 70% of tourists:

and another article says tourism is not affected. hotel rates dropping is a good indicator there is not much demand for the rooms.

On 21/10/2016 at 3:31 PM, williamgeorgeallen said:

and another article says tourism is not affected. hotel rates dropping is a good indicator there is not much demand for the rooms.

I doubt a drop of 70% of tourists , otherwise Thai logic would say "rates go up 40%" to compensate the losses.