The Death Penalty In Thailand [poll]

bmanly

Do you agree with the Death Penalty?  

113 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I voted that it is up to the Thai's to decide, no outsiders should have the right to circumvent their sovereignty or try and influence their laws. I know I wouldn't want some foreigner coming to America and telling me I can't carry my gun because they don't in their country.

However, this is a odd subject for me. I am for the death penalty in place were justice is blind (or at least cataract) to the color or religion of those that come before her. Sadly in my country she has 20-20 vision and Blacks are nearly 3 times as likely to get the death penalty than whites who committed the exact same crimes.

So if it's meated out fairly with out regard to race, or religion great, otherwise it needs to be addressed to make sure that it's done so equally.

i must say that ive always been under the opinion that in strait out murder cases the death penalty is justified.

my case being child rapists, mass murders and there ilk.

problem being that some countries including the USA in quite a few cases have got it wrong and killed an innocent man. :D

anyway ive changed my views on the death penalty and think it should be abolished.

why you ask.?

because the scum of the earth should rot in jail for the rest of there lives as the death penalty lets them off too easy. :o

and thats my only reason.

That actually makes alot of sense. I agree.

Quote,

because the scum of the earth should rot in jail for the rest of there lives as the death penalty lets them off too easy. :o

................................................................................

................................................................................

But they dont rot in jail these days, they have TV, internet, sports facilities etc, etc.

A great life for taking another's life and bringing long term agony to the Family's who will never forget their loved ones, Thats a life sentence.

I dont think that tax payers should have to pay for the upkeep of these kind of people in jail

So, kill people for cost-effectiveness? :o

Nothing sucks in life more than being found to be wrongly convicted....posthumously.

I dont think that tax payers should have to pay for the upkeep of these kind of people in jail

So, kill people for cost-effectiveness? :o

Nothing sucks in life more than being found to be wrongly convicted....posthumously.

Yes. So you are happy paying for the existance of these kind of people? And once again i'm talking about people who have done unspeakable crimes, sit in their cell spitting on people, wiping sh*t round the walls....stuff like that?

As for being wrongly convicted, yes that sucks, but millions of people who have had worse things happen to them.

Bad things happen to good people all the time, good people die every day, are we supposed to cry for the 1 innocent person killed by the state, opposed to crying for the thousands of innocent person killed by gun violence (or other random crimes?)

Bad things happen to good people all the time, good people die every day, are we supposed to cry for the 1 innocent person killed by the state, opposed to crying for the thousands of innocent person killed by gun violence (or other random crimes?)

Since when was it forbidden to do both :o

I think that keeping murderers and rapists in jail is one of the best ways to spend my tax dollars. The other is paying compensation to those wrongully jailed every year.

If it was a member of your family wrongly convicted would you be saying "I know you're innocent Dad, but it's costing alot to lock people up and you are only one of a few who will be wrongly excecuted..."?

The 'life for a life' argument is one that seems to me to appeal to a sense of vengeance rather than justice.

The argument about innocence is perhaps the most compelling against the death penalty. Only the most stupid people believe that innocent people have never been executed, and it is of course impossible to make any kind of adequate restitution for a life wrongfully taken.

Perhaps if judges, juries and executioners were themselves made to face manslaughter charges in the event of a wrongful execution they might be more careful.

Ultimately, my own point of view is that capital punishment is a relic of barbarism and should be abolished.

Since when was it forbidden to do both :o

If you want to spend all day crying.

QUOTE(taxi40 @ 2006-12-02 07:18:50)

But they dont rot in jail these days, they have TV, internet, sports facilities etc, etc.

in thai jails? me thinks not.

they don't have them for death row inmates in the US either. they are locked in a cell 23 hours a day.

Thank you to you all who have responded, I think there are some very good long heart felt thought out replies here. To this point of time in the thread it is exactly 50% for the death penalty and 50% against.

When I was a younger guy in my 20's I wanted the world to be a better a place as most of us do but I had some weird points of view where I saw everything as right or wrong, black or white, never as a shade of grey. Discussing the subject I was of the opinion that the only way the world could be a better place was to rid it of the people who committed murder. A wise old Scottish mate of mine use to say to me "yes but would you pull the trigger, would you be the one to kick the bucket out from under his feet, or would be the one to press the button", in those days I said yes.

After many years of seeing injustices done, people wrongfully convicted or in some cases mentally disturbed people committing these crimes I have come to the conclusion that the death penalty is wrong. It is wrong under any circumstances and I voted no. I remember 23 years ago talking to a group of US lawyers in the USA and I asked this question "How can you defend people who you know are guilty". They replied by saying "if you can save 1 guy who has been wrongfully convicted then you have done your job, that's why we do it". I think that sums it up pretty well.

Human beings are human beings all the same, we all have a right to breath air and live and nobody has the right to play God and take someone’s life away, even if that person was proven guilty of murder. We do not have a right to kill people and it is wrong.

Amnesty International is on the Thai case, they are watching the Country closely. A report into executions in Thailand was released in October 2003, here is just a piece of that report that I think everyone should read:

"There is no evidence to suggest that the death penalty has any unique deterrent effect on crime rates. If Thailand wishes to take serious steps towards protecting human rights, it should pursue policies to combat crime that do not violate human rights, and take steps to abolish the death penalty, in line with the global trend towards abolition," Amnesty International said. "Even those in favour of the death penalty concede that it is an irreversible punishment, and that the possibility of judicial error in capital trials risks executing the innocent. This is a risk that Thailand should not be prepared to take."

While various states introducing lethal injection have maintained that this method will make executions more humane, lethal injections do not necessarily deliver the swift and painless death claimed by the punishment’s proponents. In the first execution by lethal injection in Guatemala, it took 18 minutes for the condemned prisoner to die. Paramedics had difficulties finding his veins, and his wife and children could be heard sobbing throughout. Prior to the execution, the local press and authorities had said that such executions would be painless, more humane and "over in 30 seconds." A growing number of legal and medical experts in the United States have also recently expressed concern that the cocktail of drugs used in lethal injections may leave the condemned prisoner conscious, paralysed, suffocating and in intense pain before death."

More on that report can be found at THIS LINK HERE.

Before any of you advocate that killing another human is ok even though say 2 out of 100 might be innocent then ask yourself this, how would you like it if it was you or worse still the person you love the most.

Thanks again for you responses.

I live in the US, Not too long ago California had a trial for Scott Peterson, Who was accused of killing his wife and unborn son. According to the evidence their was no murder weapon and not much evidence at the crime scene. He was sentenced to death for making phone calls and being at the scene fishing according to him where they found the wife and son's bodies. (Of course that dosen't look good) But they got him on phone calls to his mistress? I wonder about the justice systen alot in the states.

I think he did it, but I am going by what I heard on the news. I am not a juror for the case. I don't think he is innocent but I don't see that he was proven guilty though. It will be sad when they do finally go through with the death sentence.

DL

post-14735-1165063950_thumb.jpg

Edited by DragonLad

QUOTE(taxi40 @ 2006-12-02 07:18:50)

in thai jails? me thinks not.

they don't have them for death row inmates in the US either. they are locked in a cell 23 hours a day.

still not long enough for this scum. :o

I'm for the death penalty if the alternative is that serious offenders will be released back into society at some point. However, if life imprisonment (meaning life not 20 years) was an option, then I'd be against the death penalty.

i'm for the death penalty,

but if you were to see sentences carried out as you say then i could live with that.

i would also like to see prisons become prisons not 2 star hotels.

i worked in a prison for 3 months and could not believe what i saw,

better health care than on the outside

better dental care and free

gyms that are second to none

an educational opportunity to gain phd and degrees that would put students in debt for years

absolutely no work ethics

i could go on

I'm not surprised by the results so far.

I guess we are in the main Western Europeans or from the Antipodes and therefore from countries where the death penalty has long since been abolished. I like to think that our way of thinking is more advanced and humane with regards the death penalty.

I'm pretty sure the results would be totally different if the respondees where based in middle America.

If you look at some countries where the death penalty is allowed:-

Palestinian Authority, Lebanon, Malaysia, Japan, Guinea, Sri Lanka, Botswana, China, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Indonesia, India, Nigeria, Senegal, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Burkina Faso, Swaziland and Niger, Burma, Kuwait, Philippines, Indonesia, Sudan, Tajikistan, Nigeria, Uganda, Sudan, Qatar, Belize, Barbados and Laos.

And of course the USA.

And then ask the question 'Would you vote to be on this list?' then maybe the answer may be weighed more heavily on the NO side.

I can sometimes almost agree that in the most extreme cases where the evidence is proved beyond any doubt then human emotion is powerful enough to take such action as to put someone to death. Problem is its just too complex to integrate into our advanced legal systems which are tried and tested.

To take such a step would be destroying years of human rights work and democracy in our largely peaceful and friendly countries.

Edited by walg