What % of your diet is Thai food?

joeyg

4 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

fThey have been eating the same food here for years.. and the obesity and diabetic problems are just a recent thing... so it can't be down to the Thai food. 

It is no coincidence that obesity and diabetes started to increase significantly with the arrival of AMERICAN FAST FOOD AND SUGAR DRINKS LIKE COLA.

Its these highly processed foods that are the problem, not the traditional diet... same goes in Europe and America.  Years ago most people in the UK were not overweight.. and they ate traditional foods like pies, baked cakes, meat, eggs, etc.  They even used butter, lard and dripping to cook with.. and yet still were not overweight.  Now we have so many fast food places, and people have forgotten how to cook a simple meal.. so they buy processed frozen or microwave meals. 

I eat about 90 percent Thai food.  I only eat farang food if I go to a restaurant.. which is not often.. and then usually its Italian food I eat.  Don't have bread at home, and never eat breakfast cereal.

You're on the mark!!! And you can't beat Italian for a treat.  I know I was raised on it.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Ahab said:

I am probably 40-50% Thai food (living currently in Hawaii, USA). We are moving soon to Thailand and I expect that when we get there the percentage will be more on the order of 80-90% Thai. When we make Som Tom it is made with papaya, tomatoes, chili, lime, green beans, and fish sauce (maybe a pinch of MSG). You can ask for it to be made without sugar.

Nice the fish sauce is loaded with MSG though.  And adding MSG is a bad idea.  It's a cardio/neuro toxin.

Edited by joeyg

I am probably around 80-90% Thai food.  Probably 100% Thai food for lunch but sometimes I have a western breakfast and the occasional pizza for dinner.  But not being in-country the entire year I find the western food in Thailand as wanting as the Thai food in the US.  I have found only one really good burger in Thailand over the past 30 years and have yet to taste great pizza in Thailand.  Just went to a nationally noted Thai restaurant here in the US and the food was OK, but not great.  But I got to admit the Lotus of Siam in Las Vegas was pretty darn good, but you have to pay me to go to Las Vegas, and only my former work paid for me to go down to attend trade shows.

1 hour ago, joeyg said:

Nice the fish sauce is loaded with MSG though.  And adding MSG is a bad idea.  It's a cardio/neuro toxin.

Fish sauce is highly salty and does contain some MSG (I just looked at our bottle), but in small quantities it is a lovely seasoning. I would not recommend drinking shot glasses full of the stuff though. MSG is not a cardio/neuro toxin, and this statement is supported by numerous studies in multiple countries (no I will not post citations, but you can google TV and find previous posts on this topic). It is a harmless food seasoning (like salt in proper quantities), that some people do not care to use.

If you like it use it, if you don't like it, don't. A lot of things in this life will shorten your life, or outright kill you. However, small amounts of fish sauce and MSG in food are not on that list.  My Thai father-in-law lived to a ripe old age of 96 in a rural Thai village he ate food seasoned with fish sauce and MSG probably nearly every single day of his life.

41 minutes ago, Johpa said:

I am probably around 80-90% Thai food.  Probably 100% Thai food for lunch but sometimes I have a western breakfast and the occasional pizza for dinner.  But not being in-country the entire year I find the western food in Thailand as wanting as the Thai food in the US.  I have found only one really good burger in Thailand over the past 30 years and have yet to taste great pizza in Thailand.  Just went to a nationally noted Thai restaurant here in the US and the food was OK, but not great.  But I got to admit the Lotus of Siam in Las Vegas was pretty darn good, but you have to pay me to go to Las Vegas, and only my former work paid for me to go down to attend trade shows.

If you are ever in San Diego try "Papaya" in Linda Vista or Sab E Lee (just down the road). Excellent and authentic Thai food, the absolute best I have ever had outside of Thailand. I do not routinely eat Thai restaurant food in the USA because it is normally a disappointment.

1 hour ago, Ahab said:

If you are ever in San Diego try "Papaya" in Linda Vista or Sab E Lee (just down the road). Excellent and authentic Thai food, the absolute best I have ever had outside of Thailand. I do not routinely eat Thai restaurant food in the USA because it is normally a disappointment.

Been to both of then several times.  And yes very good Thai food.

1 hour ago, Ahab said:

Fish sauce is highly salty and does contain some MSG (I just looked at our bottle), but in small quantities it is a lovely seasoning. I would not recommend drinking shot glasses full of the stuff though. MSG is not a cardio/neuro toxin, and this statement is supported by numerous studies in multiple countries (no I will not post citations, but you can google TV and find previous posts on this topic). It is a harmless food seasoning (like salt in proper quantities), that some people do not care to use.

If you like it use it, if you don't like it, don't. A lot of things in this life will shorten your life, or outright kill you. However, small amounts of fish sauce and MSG in food are not on that list.  My Thai father-in-law lived to a ripe old age of 96 in a rural Thai village he ate food seasoned with fish sauce and MSG probably nearly every single day of his life.

Eat MSG then.

A widespread and silent killer that’s worse for your health than alcohol, nicotine and many drugs is likely lurking in your kitchen cabinets right now.[1]“It” is monosodium glutamate (MSG), a flavor enhancer that’s known widely as an addition to Chinese food, but that’s actually added to thousands of the foods you and your family regularly eat, especially if you are like most Americans and eat the majority of your food as processed foods or in restaurants.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/04/21/msg-is-this-silent-killer-lurking-in-your-kitchen-cabinets.aspx

http://www.naturalnews.com/048414_MSG_side_effects_monosodium_glutamate.html

http://www.foodrenegade.com/msg-dangerous-science/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mercola/msg-is-this-silent-killer_b_491502.html

Edited by joeyg

5 hours ago, joeyg said:

That's bullshit. Really.

"Natural News?" It's the biggest anti-science website on Internet. Those people think "GMO" is an ingredient.

To answer the question, when I was living in Thailand it was anywhere from 90% to 50%  depending in the period. 

Edited by BudRight

4 hours ago, BudRight said:

That's bullshit. Really.

"Natural News?" It's the biggest anti-science website on Internet. Those people think "GMO" is an ingredient.

To answer the question, when I was living in Thailand it was anywhere from 90% to 50%  depending in the period. 

I think you should raise your intake of MSG ASAP... :smile:  And my opinion wasn't bullshit.  Perhaps it's yours that was, sir.

http://www.msgtruth.org/avoid.htm

http://www.thaifoodandtravel.com/features/fishsauce1.html

http://www.takepart.com/article/2012/11/28/fish-sauce-msg

Some people speak authoritatively about things they know nothing about.

Just now, joeyg said:

I think you should raise your intake of MSG ASAP... :smile:  And my opinion wasn't bullshit.  Perhaps it's yours that was, sir.

http://www.msgtruth.org/avoid.htm

http://www.thaifoodandtravel.com/features/fishsauce1.html

http://www.takepart.com/article/2012/11/28/fish-sauce-msg

Some people speak authoritatively about things they know nothing about.

*sigh*

Those are random websites from crackpots. Glutamic acid is abundant amino acid in your body without which you would die.

You'll have to focus your hypochondria on something else.

5 hours ago, BudRight said:

That's bullshit. Really.

I am a Physician, Practiced Integrated Medicine, taught Pathophysiology, Diagnosis and Evaluation, as well as Clinical Nutrition. I have found Natural News, not perfect but a good source of information for patients and students.  Thank You for you time.

5 hours ago, BudRight said:

That's bullshit. Really.

Some great articles up on that sight this week.  And of course GMO's are contained in most processed food these days.  The dangers are too long to list here.  Google it! http://www.naturalnews.com/053828_non-GMO_foods_glyphosate_weedkiller_General_Mills.html

2 minutes ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

I fear dying from eating inorganic food and indulging in anaerobic exercise

Different that MSG.  If you believe it's good I think you should max out or intake ASAP.  I'd skip all the research in the neurology and immunology journals.  I'm sure you'd be bored by them.

1 minute ago, joeyg said:

Some great articles up on that sight this week.  And of course GMO's are contained in most processed food these days.  The dangers are too long to list here.  Google it! http://www.naturalnews.com/053828_non-GMO_foods_glyphosate_weedkiller_General_Mills.html

GMO is a breeding method, not an ingredient. 

Just because you found something on Google does not mean it is credible. 

7 minutes ago, BudRight said:

GMO is a breeding method, not an ingredient. 

Just because you found something on Google does not mean it is credible. 

May I ask what was your career.  Yes Google is not a perfect resource.  After practicing and teaching Medicine for 35 years I'm able to "weed through" the BS.  What was your field of interest. 

Why MSG is so Dangerous - Russell Blaylock, a board-certified neurosurgeon

One of the best overviews of the very real dangers of MSG comes from Dr. Russell Blaylock, a board-certified neurosurgeon and author of “Excitotoxins: The Taste that Kills.” In it he explains that MSG is an excitotoxin, which means it overexcites your cells to the point of damage or death, causing brain damage to varying degrees — and potentially even triggering or worsening learning disabilities, Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, Lou Gehrig’s disease and more.

Part of the problem also is that free glutamic acid is the same neurotransmitter that your brain, nervous system, eyes, pancreas and other organs use to initiate certain processes in your body.[4] Even the FDA states:

“Studies have shown that the body uses glutamate, an amino acid, as a nerve impulse transmitter in the brain and that there are glutamate-responsive tissues in other parts of the body, as well.

Abnormal function of glutamate receptors has been linked with certain neurological diseases, such as Alzheimer’s disease and Huntington’s chorea. Injections of glutamate in laboratory animals have resulted in damage to nerve cells in the brain.”[5]

Although the FDA continues to claim that consuming MSG in food does not cause these ill effects, many other experts say otherwise.

According to Dr. Blaylock, numerous glutamate receptors have been found both within your heart’s electrical conduction system and the heart muscle itself. This can be damaging to your heart, and may even explain the sudden deaths sometimes seen among young athletes.

Edited by joeyg

2 minutes ago, whatproblem said:

I cook most my food Thai style with a healthier twist ,I never add sugar or msg but I use honey ,I use olive oil mostly ,I say 90% Thai food ,I make pizzas sometimes ,I not really eat out much ,

Yeah sounds similar to what I do.  No sugar in the house but I do use honey in coffee sometimes smoothies.  Pizza I don't bother making.  My buddies shop Bronx Pizza could compete with some of the best thin crust pizzas in Jersey or NYC! :smile:

4 minutes ago, joeyg said:

May I ask what was your career.  Yes Google is not a perfect resource.  After practicing and teaching Medicine for 35 years I'm able to "weed through" the BS.  What was your field of interest. 

Why MSG is so Dangerous

One of the best overviews of the very real dangers of MSG comes from Dr. Russell Blaylock, a board-certified neurosurgeon and author of “Excitotoxins: The Taste that Kills.” In it he explains that MSG is an excitotoxin, which means it overexcites your cells to the point of damage or death, causing brain damage to varying degrees — and potentially even triggering or worsening learning disabilities, Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, Lou Gehrig’s disease and more.

Part of the problem also is that free glutamic acid is the same neurotransmitter that your brain, nervous system, eyes, pancreas and other organs use to initiate certain processes in your body.[4] Even the FDA states:

“Studies have shown that the body uses glutamate, an amino acid, as a nerve impulse transmitter in the brain and that there are glutamate-responsive tissues in other parts of the body, as well.

Then I pity your students. I'll be going now, I have work to do.

Just now, joeyg said:

Yeah sounds similar to what I do.  No sugar in the house but I do use honey in coffee sometimes smoothies.  Pizza I don't bother making.  My buddies shop Bronx Pizza could compete with some of the best thin crust pizzas in Jersey or NYC! :smile:

I have to make pizzas for my son sometimes ,if I make alone I know what's in them plus I think they taste better than the ones I can buy here ,my son has to eat school food but at home I know he eats good food