Anyone ever bought a car in another province?

zeekgarcia

• 1 year later...
On 11/6/2016 at 11:03 AM, Stray said:

No, the same with a second-hand car.  Purchased in Bangkok, live in Buri Ram.  No need to change the registration plates.

Over a year ago, now.  Just paid annual registration at my local land transport office.

Is this the same situation with motorcycles? I live in Chiang Mai, although my retirement visa was obtained in Chonburi, meaning I cannot get a Certificate of Residence for Chiang Mai. I can arrange one for Chonburi through my visa agent in Pattaya. Would I be able to buy a bike in Pattaya, ride it back to Chiang Mai and keep it on Chonburi plates?  I would be grateful of some clarification on this matter.

Edited by XB12X

1 hour ago, XB12X said:

Would I be able to buy a bike in Pattaya, ride it back to Chiang Mai and keep it on Chonburi plates?

To keep Chonburi plates you would need to do the green book name change at either Chonburi DLT or the Barnglamung/Pattaya DLT  near regents school,  once you have the residence certificate from Jomtien immigration it should be possible to  do it in one day

(but maybe plan to have a few days holiday in Pattaya)...they will want to see the bike at the DLT to check chassis and engine numbers....then you can ride it all the way to Chaingmai...

quite a ride !!!!!

3 hours ago, johng said:

To keep Chonburi plates you would need to do the green book name change at either Chonburi DLT or the Barnglamung/Pattaya DLT  near regents school,  once you have the residence certificate from Jomtien immigration it should be possible to  do it in one day

(but maybe plan to have a few days holiday in Pattaya)...they will want to see the bike at the DLT to check chassis and engine numbers....then you can ride it all the way to Chaingmai...

quite a ride !!!!!

Thanks for replying, John. Once back in CM will I be able to keep the Chonburi plates? That's the important bit. And I will be buying new in all probability, so would spend a few days in Pattaya. 

Edited by XB12X

49 minutes ago, XB12X said:

Thanks for replying, John. Once back in CM will I be able to keep the Chonburi plates? That's the important bit. And I will be buying new in all probability, so would spend a few days in Pattaya. 

If buying new it could take longer than a few days...because the dealership likes to drag its feet to do the registration..ask them to do it that day but if they won't then a way round this is to do the registration yourself or go to an "agent" to "urgently" get the paperwork done...

post-2109-0-09307200-1357115893.gif

Once registered  in your name  yes you can keep the Chonburi plates, drive,tax and insure it anywhere in Thailand there only may be a problem if you need a new green book in a few years or want to change vehicle color,new engine ( things that involve changes to the registration details)  they may send you back to Chonburi to do this !! ???? ...hopefully eventually maybe one day they will update this archaic system so all this can be done "online"  instead of  sending people to the other end of the country !!! 

( the alternative is to just register/re-register in Chaingmai but you can't keep the Chonburi plates)

2 hours ago, johng said:

If buying new it could take longer than a few days...because the dealership likes to drag its feet to do the registration..ask them to do it that day but if they won't then a way round this is to do the registration yourself or go to an "agent" to "urgently" get the paperwork done...

post-2109-0-09307200-1357115893.gif

Once registered  in your name  yes you can keep the Chonburi plates, drive,tax and insure it anywhere in Thailand there only may be a problem if you need a new green book in a few years or want to change vehicle color,new engine ( things that involve changes to the registration details)  they may send you back to Chonburi to do this !! ???? ...hopefully eventually maybe one day they will update this archaic system so all this can be done "online"  instead of  sending people to the other end of the country !!! 

( the alternative is to just register/re-register in Chaingmai but you can't keep the Chonburi plates)

Thanks so much, John. You have been a great help. I am quite happy to temporarily move to Pattaya for a couple of months. Regards, N