Anyone ever bought a car in another province?

zeekgarcia

Anyone ever bought a car in another province?

The same day that you bought the car, were you able to go back home with the blue book or did you have to go back to that department of transpiration office to get the blue book with you being noted as the new owner.

Thanks

Edited by zeekgarcia

Yes, you need to go to your own department of transpiration office 1st and get the correct Forms, then get the receipt from the owner + copy of there id and get then to sign the department of transpiration paperwork you got from your transpiration office  ..

Guess will be a few fractures involved.. the car I bought had already Road Tax and Insurance....  to get it into my name, visit your own area/Provence department of transpiration office, you will need proof of address as well.. Had to have the car tested on site + they also check all the paperwork regards to car numbers, is in order, back into the office to get the book into my name....  did have to go back 14 days later as different Provence = different number plate + you must then buy new Road tax for the car with the new number + 3rd party Insurance = you get the new plates, went out to the car changed the plates to the new ones, took the old ones back in and got the Tax sticker...

Did it myself without any help and was easy and straight forward.. The department of transpiration officer did speak English.

if you do not want the bother then the seller will do it for you most times, sometimes free or  for a fee + you keep the old number, road tax etc.. 

24 minutes ago, Ace of Pop said:

The Laws altered a bit. I had to change plates to my residence province, now you dont, thats with new from the dealer, may be different for second hand transactions , not sure.

No, the same with a second-hand car.  Purchased in Bangkok, live in Buri Ram.  No need to change the registration plates.

Over a year ago, now.  Just paid annual registration at my local land transport office.

• Like 1

In response to the OP:

Purchased the car in Bangkok and, on the same day, drove it back to Buri Ram.

Among other things, I was given a 'receipt of sale' which was to cover any issues that may have arisen (concerning registration and ownership) until the car book was available.

Once my name was logged in the car book, it was posted to me.

Again with the language ambiguities.
You don't pay annual "registration"

Annually you pay road tax and compulsory insurance. Registration is
when you change ownership

Stray let me ask you if,
you bought the car in Bangkok ?

It had Bangkok registration plates ?

You changed the ownership at a DLT in Bangkok ?

You then took the car to Buri ram ?

12 hours ago, johng said:

Again with the language ambiguities.
You don't pay annual "registration"

Annually you pay road tax and compulsory insurance. Registration is
when you change ownership

Stray let me ask you if,
you bought the car in Bangkok ?

It had Bangkok registration plates ?

You changed the ownership at a DLT in Bangkok ?

You then took the car to Buri ram ?

I purchased the car from a second hand dealer in Bangkok.  The car had, and still has, Bangkok plates.

On the same day I purchased the car, I drove it home to Buri Ram.  From the dealer, on the day of purchase, I was provided with 'transfer of ownership' papers to cover the vehicle until I received the updated 'blue book.'

Once the 'blue book' was updated (by whatever branch of the Land Transport office did the update), the book was posted to me, at my residence in Buri Ram.  The car is registered to me (in my name) at my residence in Buri Ram.

The Bangkok registration plates, which were on the car when I purchased it, remain on the car.

A couple of months ago, as the 'registration/road tax/compulsory tax/annual fee/whatever-you-want-to-call-it' was due, I took the car to a 'road worthy centre' in Buri Ram and received an inspection receipt.  The following day, as I happened to be in Prakhon Chai, I went to that Land Transport office, paid the annual fee and received my new 'tax disc/registration sticker/road tax receipt sticker/whatever-you-want-to-call-it,' stuck it on the windscreen/windshield/front window and I was on my way.

In a nut-shell, I purchased the car in Bangkok and it had Bangkok plates.  Having owned the vehicle for well over 12 months (living and driving in Buri Ram) the car still retains it's Bangkok plates but the 'blue book' address is Buri Ram.

So, in response to the OP; you can purchase a car in another province and, if the transfer of ownership paperwork is properly done (mine was done by the dealer from whom I purchased the vehicle), you can drive it to your home province on the same day.  If the paperwork is correctly done, there should be no need to return to the Land Transport office (in the province where the vehicle was purchased) as they (or the dealer/seller) will post the 'blue book' to you.

Edited by Stray
The vehicle has second class insurance as the cost of first class was ridiculously high for a vehicle of that age.

15 hours ago, Stray said:

I purchased the car from a second hand dealer in Bangkok.  The car had, and still has, Bangkok plates.

On the same day I purchased the car, I drove it home to Buri Ram.  From the dealer, on the day of purchase, I was provided with 'transfer of ownership' papers to cover the vehicle until I received the updated 'blue book.'

Once the 'blue book' was updated (by whatever branch of the Land Transport office did the update), the book was posted to me, at my residence in Buri Ram.  The car is registered to me (in my name) at my residence in Buri Ram.

The Bangkok registration plates, which were on the car when I purchased it, remain on the car.

A couple of months ago, as the 'registration/road tax/compulsory tax/annual fee/whatever-you-want-to-call-it' was due, I took the car to a 'road worthy centre' in Buri Ram and received an inspection receipt.  The following day, as I happened to be in Prakhon Chai, I went to that Land Transport office, paid the annual fee and received my new 'tax disc/registration sticker/road tax receipt sticker/whatever-you-want-to-call-it,' stuck it on the windscreen/windshield/front window and I was on my way.

In a nut-shell, I purchased the car in Bangkok and it had Bangkok plates.  Having owned the vehicle for well over 12 months (living and driving in Buri Ram) the car still retains it's Bangkok plates but the 'blue book' address is Buri Ram.

So, in response to the OP; you can purchase a car in another province and, if the transfer of ownership paperwork is properly done (mine was done by the dealer from whom I purchased the vehicle), you can drive it to your home province on the same day.  If the paperwork is correctly done, there should be no need to return to the Land Transport office (in the province where the vehicle was purchased) as they (or the dealer/seller) will post the 'blue book' to you.

Who gave you the  'transfer of ownership' papers?    The dealer or did they make a run to the Dept of Transportation and came back with these papers?

38 minutes ago, zeekgarcia said:

Who gave you the  'transfer of ownership' papers?

"Transfer of ownership papers"  in this case I suspect means a  receipt  ( bill of sale ) from the dealer,  Stray did not go to the Department of Land Transportation ( DLT ) and change the name/registration of the car them self  the dealer did all that in Bangkok.

@Stray Did you have to provide the dealer with a "certificate of residence" from immigration ?

3 hours ago, zeekgarcia said:

Who gave you the  'transfer of ownership' papers?    The dealer or did they make a run to the Dept of Transportation and came back with these papers?

2 hours ago, johng said:

"Transfer of ownership papers"  in this case I suspect means a  receipt  ( bill of sale ) from the dealer,  Stray did not go to the Department of Land Transportation ( DLT ) and change the name/registration of the car them self  the dealer did all that in Bangkok.

@Stray Did you have to provide the dealer with a "certificate of residence" from immigration ?

zeekgrarcia: as johng correctly points out, all paperwork was handled by the dealer.

johng: they just used my address details on the reverse side of my Thai driving licence.  I did have a 'yellow house book' and 'green motorcycle book' (for a new motorcycle that I purchased last year).  However, all they were interested in was my passport and driving licence.  Oh, and my money.

Didn't think anymore about it, at the time but, now that you mention other documents, perhaps their reasoning was that I've already purchased a motor vehicle in Thailand so it wasn't necessary to submit it all again.  As it was a professional secondhand car dealer they most likely have the system streamlined to make it easier to move cars and make sales.

Purchasing a new motorcycle was a little more difficult (but, not much).  Have never considered a private sale but would imagine that it would require more effort from the side of the purchaser.

I bought a car at auction when to register it had a plate on from different provenance had to pay road tax and got a sticker had to go back got a new plate had to pay road tax again got the book the car was two yrs old no inspection just copy the bin number did it all myself very easy to do

I bought a new Hilux in a different province, and drove it away that same night, no worries about blue books or anything, as

far as I remember the GF, now wife, had the book. Oh sorry, you mean a used car? I bought a used car in another province and was given the blue book when I took the car home the following day.

Edited by possum1931
Adding something.

On Sunday, November 06, 2016 at 11:03 AM, Stray said:

No, the same with a second-hand car.  Purchased in Bangkok, live in Buri Ram.  No need to change the registration plates.

Over a year ago, now.  Just paid annual registration at my local land transport office.

I bought a second hand car in September and was told by DLT the law has changed and you must change registration plates to the province of your residence.

Took 4 days to get the blue book updated but was able to drive the car away with the new plates and go back to collect the book.

Advice needed please.

I bought a car in February Bangkok with Bangkok number plates and was happy to take the car back to Hua Hin (Prachuap Khiri Khan) and leave it registered in Bkk.

Now the tax is due and took it to the garage where I took it to have it tested (over 7 years old) and get them to tax it.

It appears that the blue book has been changed from Bkk to PKK.

I can't understand what the staff at the garage are telling me. They have give me a form in Thai which they said take to immigration then take it back to them. They've wrote 3 words in Thai with prices next to them of 800, 500 and 800, total 2,100 Baht and 2-4 weeks.

Are they going to change my registration number ? I don't want them to do that but if thats the only course of action can I choose a number or is it just allocated to you ?

Thanks.

Tax and insurance can be paid in any province no matter what the registration plate or blue book province says

the garage couldn't/wouldn't have changed your blue book from BKK to PK  without  you knowing ( need to supply forms and sign things)

maybe your blue book pages 16-17  where records of tax payment is printed

are full and they need to get you a new blue book ?

if you post a photo or scan of the documents the garage gave you then we can work out what's going on.

If you change provinces  yes they give you a new registration number,  normally you get the number you're given  but sometimes they auction off "special" numbers  for a very "special" price  I've also heard of some people being given a  limited choice of numbers to chose from  but that's not been my experience.

Edited by johng

Hello johng

No the garage never changed the province in the blue book, that was done by the seller when I bought it in January but it's only been pointed out to me by the garage now I try to tax it. So it looks like they changed province but not the number plate ?

IMG_20161119_162539.jpg

IMG_20161119_162550.jpg

IMG_20161119_162601.jpg

IMG_20161119_162607.jpg

Edited by YorkshireTyke
Add photos

In the blue book it say the car has been given permission to move to prachuap on 23 February
But not that it has been actually moved....so its in limbo needs to be moved to prachaub, I expect they will give you new number plates
I also suspect the car might not be in your name check on the first few blue book pages

They gave you a "miscellaneous" purposes form and a power of attorney form so they can act on your behalf.

You need to get a "certificate of residence" from immigration
Supply copy of passport and visa and sign the forms where marked X
They are charging 800 baht for their services
processing time 2-4 weeks seems quite long but not unusual for them to wait until they have a few customers and do them all in one trip to the DLT.

Thanks again Johng.

Yes the blue book is in my name. I got all the forms from imm when I purchased the car, proof of address and permission to buy a car etc and passed all to the seller who I presumed did everything correctly. Should the seller have returned to DLT and collected the new plates ?

Will they have to take the car to DLT or just the forms incl blue book ?

Edited by YorkshireTyke
Added text

It looks like the seller has notified the DLT that you would be registering the car in prachuab and left it up to you to do the rest which is not the usual way of doing it...

If you agent has some "connections" at the DLT they may be able to keep your existing plate and not have to take the car...but you'll have to ask them what they want.

Thanks again Johng, I don't think I can keep this plate as when I pick my son up from school there is often a car there with the same number as mine, 117, so I presume thats registered in PKK!

I will ask at the garage again and ask a Thai to speak to them about the plate.

I will update the thread when I have some news.

2 hours ago, YorkshireTyke said:

Thanks again Johng, I don't think I can keep this plate as when I pick my son up from school there is often a car there with the same number as mine, 117, so I presume thats registered in PKK!

I will ask at the garage again and ask a Thai to speak to them about the plate.

I will update the thread when I have some news.

It's not just the numbers you have to look at, there's 2 letters before the numbers and then the province of registration is written underneath that.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Hi Everyone, 

I read this thread with a lot of interest because I am about to experience the same situation I live in Rayong province and  I will buy a second hand car from an owner of a different province (Prachuap Khiri Khan). Based on what I read I am not exactly sure what and where to do;

- Shall I get any document from the DLT in Rayong first before going to pay and get the car? If yes which documents?

- Who is responsible to change the name in the blue book? myself or the old owner? Where is this done?

- Once I drive the car back to Rayong - do I need to change the plate to be in the new province?

Many thanks for your help

If the seller hasnt got them already youou need to get power of attorney and vehicle transfer form for the seller to sign...if seller is foreign they might need to provide a "certificate of residence"
have them sign the blue book and a receipt of sale...
I'll post a files with all the documents later can't attach files with the phone app.
You are responsible for name change.
Rayong DLT will most likely require you move the registration to Rayong so yes change of plates needed.