No bum gun, no worries! Portable bidet shop opens at BTS Siam

Jonathan Fairfield

No bum gun, no worries! Portable bidet shop opens at BTS Siam

By Coconuts Bangkok

bum1.jpg

In Friday’s most WTF news of the day, we happened across a stall at BTS Siam that sells only one product. One that, once you see it, you won’t know how you ever lived without it: colorful portable bum guns.

They kinda look like a private Songkran party just for your bottom.

For those of you who have lived in Thailand and fallen in love with the country’s ubiquitous toilet-side water hoses, you’re sure to understand the pain of going back to the West and living without a beloved bum gun — wiping your butt without rinsing it first just seems savage after experiencing the Thai way.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/11/11/no-bum-gun-no-worries-portable-bidet-shop-opens-bts-siam-video

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2016-11-11

The common bum shower is the best  - and afaik exclusive - invention I know from Thailand.
Everytime I come to a place where it's not offered I simply take a 1.5 l bottle of water with me to the restroom. No need of this useless "portable bidet" toy at all!

14 hours ago, rebo said:

The common bum shower is the best  - and afaik exclusive - invention I know from Thailand.
Everytime I come to a place where it's not offered I simply take a 1.5 l bottle of water with me to the restroom.

I guess you've never been to Japan?  They've had them for decades and elevated the "washlet" almost to an art form.  For the most part Thailand just borrowed the kitchen sink vegetable sprayer from the west and installed it beside the toilet.

anything goes, but I won't buy it.  

When i am in need of a toilet, be it inside a restaurant or a shopping mall, where I do not know what to expect,  I am always carrying a 1-litre water bottle in my rucksack . . . . . fill it up at the taps inside the restrooms and enter the toilet with a ready-to-go water bowl

it was the good old way in rural Thailand before the introduction of bum guns

problem solved.

Edited by crazygreg44

I have been to Japan and I know the washlet, in Central Europe since my youth marketed under the brand name Closomat.
But this was not my point: What I like the typical Thai bum shower for - even as a "borrowed vegetable sprayer" - is that it is - unlike the washlet - affordable for everybody, easy to install and maintain, and guarantees a most efficient intimate hygiene. Never saw it widely spread in any other country, unfortunately.

Panasonic and Toto also make portable battery-operated washlets. I bought the former on my last trip to Tokyo and it came in very handy on a recent boat trip (since flushing paper was a big no-no). The bum gun is quite simple, a bit creepy, but highly effective. Considering how the washlets in the Terminal 21 restrooms do not even work properly (undoubtedly due to negligence and a lack of maintenance), I think that it is just as well that Thailand stick with the old school technology.

• 1 year later...
On 11/11/2016 at 4:20 PM, rebo said:

Everytime I come to a place where it's not offered I simply take a 1.5 l bottle of water with me to the restroom. No need of this useless "portable bidet" toy at all!

And then? You squeeze the bottle as hard as you can to make it spray?

On 11/12/2016 at 9:26 AM, RaoulDuke said:

I think that it is just as well that Thailand stick with the old school technology.

Well that would be the bowl and waterbasin in the toiletroom.

I won't give you a hand mate...solly..