Chiang Mai's Top Ten Drinking Bars

roamp

1. Number One. The name says it is. Lot's of pretty smiles, no hassles, talkative expats.

2. Can Do Bar. I haven't been there yet but any place that gets condom bouquets at their grand opening is OK with me.

3. John's Place. Small Chang, 28 baht. Mekong whiskey, 28 baht. That's with a "Pathetic Old Man Discount Card."

4. Linda's Bar. A dozen girls waiting out front at 6 PM can make a man thirsty.

5. Foxy Lady. Only place that serves up Beer Lao with bikinis.

6. The Peak Pool Bar. Wild turkey, Jose Cuervo...90 baht.

7. The Pub. British Peacocks replace the bar girls.

8. Chiangers and Bangers. But only during a ladies pool tournament.

9. Marijuana. Would have been Number 1 except they don't have any. Not many customers either.

10. Tiger Bar. Good thing they roasted a whole pig instead of a tiger at their grand opening.

1. Number One. The name says it is. Lot's of pretty smiles, no hassles, talkative expats.

2. Can Do Bar. I haven't been there yet but any place that gets condom bouquets at their grand opening is OK with me.

3. John's Place. Small Chang, 28 baht. Mekong whiskey, 28 baht. That's with a "Pathetic Old Man Discount Card."

9. Marijuana. Would have been Number 1 except they don't have any. Not many customers either.

10. Tiger Bar. Good thing they roasted a whole pig instead of a tiger at their grand opening.

why isnt Red Lion or OMalleys on this list? :o

How about Spotlight, the real Number One bar? :o

Wow is that place still going.

I remember 7 yrs ago, having many a pleasant night in there :D:D:D

7 years!!

It's been going for closer to 20 years maybe more, and still with Horst in the chair.

I would estimate that he has had thousands of demimondames pass through the doors (and out again on the arm of punters)

As the title of this thread reads "drinking bars" (not bars cum restaurants) I'd give Spotlight the number "one" spot (no pun intended)

Some of the others mentioned in the opening post I wouldn't give the time of day.

Edited by john b good

so hows the peak pool bar now? the english owner bob sold up a few month ago i was told.i found the bar a good starting point,before we hit the busy areas.

One of my favourites has to be the chilled out rooftop bar

i too would say spotlight,been dragged in a few times with my english friends.half decent music and good layout,compared to foxy lady,poor set up imo.cheesy music also

Edited by Chiangmai Foxy

why isnt Red Lion or OMalleys on this list? :o

Because I couldn't think of anything clever to say.

I can only remember Black Cat, and My Place, are they still there ?

:o

Black Cat has been gone for many, many years, but The Laughing Leprechan took the space and did a lot of renovating. Very good food, very pleasant owner, and IMHO the best British breakfast in town - the only one that I can't quite finish. :D

Never knew "My Place".

Linda Bar is pretty hard-sell... more than almost any other bar i know

really ? why? :o

I haven't noticed a hard sell either. They won't talk to me much until I buy them a drink, but I never got bugged, only left alone. In fact, I can't think of any bar in Chiang Mai even remotely "hard sell" compared to Bangkok.

What are the bullet points to make it on your list. No offense but it seems trashy bar girls and lots of farang are some of the top.

Warm up

More

Monkey Club

Old School

Chalomburi just closed :/

Baangrak and 12 have no quiet areas to sit and drink, so I am going to leave them off the list.

What are the bullet points to make it on your list. No offense but it seems trashy bar girls and lots of farang are some of the top.

Warm up

More

Monkey Club

Old School

Chalomburi just closed :/

Baangrak and 12 have no quiet areas to sit and drink, so I am going to leave them off the list.

Actually, no point to the list whatever. Just did it for a giggle.

:o

Black Cat has been gone for many, many years, but The Laughing Leprechan took the space and did a lot of renovating. Very good food, very pleasant owner, and IMHO the best British breakfast in town - the only one that I can't quite finish. :D

Never knew "My Place".

My Place was one of the bars very popular in the 1980s located about where the Rydges hotel is now located. I can't remember whether it was still in operation when Black Cat opened, but there may have been a year or two of overlap.

Black Cat has been gone for many, many years, but The Laughing Leprechan took the space and did a lot of renovating. Very good food, very pleasant owner, and IMHO the best British breakfast in town - the only one that I can't quite finish. :o

Never knew "My Place".

My God YouGee. It must be fukcing huge!!

Black Cat has been gone for many, many years, but The Laughing Leprechan took the space and did a lot of renovating. Very good food, very pleasant owner, and IMHO the best British breakfast in town - the only one that I can't quite finish. :o

Never knew "My Place".

My God YouGee. It must be fukcing huge!!

It is big, but, besides that, all the good, toasted, irish bread and butter you can eat makes it almost impossible to finish the food on your plate. :D

• 4 weeks later...

'Yo's Pocket' used to be a favourite of mine when i was here last year. Fantastic thai food and drinks for mainly thai customers and not very expensive. Not a girly bar, no pool or live music but the staff were very bubbly and the place was quite spacious with a couple of large screens for watching the footy. I was sad to see its now turned into another Chiang Mai Saloon (near the Irish bar and opposite the 'Wall' pub). Not that i've got anything against CM Saloon but the atmosphere just isnt the same. I heard a rumour they've opened up again somewhere along the river ..and taken all the staff with them. Anybody come across this place??

:D

Never knew "My Place".

My Place was one of the bars very popular in the 1980s located about where the Rydges hotel is now located. I can't remember whether it was still in operation when Black Cat opened, but there may have been a year or two of overlap.

The Karen Hut was in the soi behind where the Rydges Hotel is now. That was about the only expat girlie bar in the early eighties.

Anyway the Red Lion is pretty good and so is O'Malleys :o