good prices on mountain bikes ?

orang37

Sawadee, Khrup,  CM TV  Friends,

Alas, the khamoys have purloined my 12 year old mountain bike, so, I am looking for a bike size #17~18 (large, for man, "fat" tired).

Given my pauperish purse cannot indulge my tastes, I wonder if anyone has seen any second-hand bicycles of better than Big-C  quality in the 10k baht range. This bike will be primarily used for in-town riding. fyi: I have been searching the usual sites (BahtSold, CraigsList), but have yet to visit the usual shops (Chaitawat, Mong, Jacky).

thanks !

~o:37;

This FB pageI don't  might be helpful https://www.facebook.com/groups/chiangmaiusedbikesforsale/

I know of a used bike for sale, owner wrote to me:

"Bought in October this year, when I thought I would live here, but I am switching careers to join some friends. Marin Bolinas 6.2 15" I added the kickstand, rear rack, and rear light, combination lock, and bottle cage. 15,000 baht I have the reciept. It was bought from Mong Cycles. New, the total cost was 16,600. Condition still mint. I am in old town until November 24. Bike viewable any time, but I prefer not to part with it until November 20, but can do sooner if somebody needs it"

I don't know thew owner nor the bike personally so can't vouch for it but do know he has lowered the price to 13,000 for me and perhaps would be willing to bargin more considering the time frame if it's not sold yet. 

I would be happy to put you in contact with seller. 

If you meant 17" or 18" frame  when you wrote "bike size #17~18" this might be interesting to someone else who is around 5'7" 

4 hours ago, davehowden said:

Check out Lazada, hundreds to choose from, delivered to your home.

Thanks, Khun Dave; I do shop at Lazada, but with a budget of only 10k baht, the bikes I could buy there would mean "flying blind:" no idea which of the lesser/off-brand bikes are better, or worse; generally Lazada ratings are pretty useless (for farangs). Have you bought a bicycle there ?

cheers, ~o:37;

2 hours ago, junglechef said:

This FB pageI don't  might be helpful https://www.facebook.com/groups/chiangmaiusedbikesforsale/

Hi, Khun JungleChef,

Thanks, in fact: I have been in touch with the owner of the Marin bike, and the 15" frame-size would be too small for me ... and the price too high, even at 13k baht.

fyi: I never use FaceBook, Twitter, Line, LinkedIn, etc. for reasons I won't bore you with :)

best, ~o:37;

1 hour ago, orang37 said:

Hi, Khun JungleChef,

Thanks, in fact: I have been in touch with the owner of the Marin bike, and the 15" frame-size would be too small for me ... and the price too high, even at 13k baht.

fyi: I never use FaceBook, Twitter, Line, LinkedIn, etc. for reasons I won't bore you with :)

best, ~o:37;

I agree but if he is moving in a few days he probably will take less (for anyone else needing that size)

There is a mountain bike tour company very close to Wat Prasing in the direction of the post office. They recently had some of their old bikes for sale for 4 or 5k? They sell their fleet every 6  months or so. Worth looking. You will have plenty of money left over to buy a new chain and cassette, decent lights, a nice U-lock. 

27 minutes ago, CNXBKKMAN said:

There is a mountain bike tour company very close to Wat Prasing in the direction of the post office. They recently had some of their old bikes for sale for 4 or 5k? They sell their fleet every 6  months or so. Worth looking. You will have plenty of money left over to buy a new chain and cassette, decent lights, a nice U-lock. 

Chiang Mai Mountian Biking is near there 

Advantage to used bikes is buying new you get warranty service.  What in Chiang Mai equals a weak Thai smile "So sorry Mr Foreigner Go to Bangkok not my problem". Not naming and shaming but true. One of my bikes in USA (Trek) has a recall on the fork. Got an email saying stop riding immediately and contact dealer. Going through shop I did not even purchase from and they are ordering the Fork fixing free and Trek is giving a $100 product purchase coupon. They are not doing me a favor that is their job /condition of being authorized dealer.

Always people leaving town I'd keep checking Facebook Craigslist etc. should be decent bikes available money saved versus buying new can be used to upgrade parts.

Edited by Dipterocarp

1 hour ago, Dipterocarp said:

Advantage to used bikes is buying new you get warranty service.  What in Chiang Mai equals a weak Thai smile "So sorry Mr Foreigner Go to Bangkok not my problem". Not naming and shaming but true. One of my bikes in USA (Trek) has a recall on the fork. Got an email saying stop riding immediately and contact dealer. Going through shop I did not even purchase from and they are ordering the Fork fixing free and Trek is giving a $100 product purchase coupon. They are not doing me a favor that is their job /condition of being authorized dealer.

Always people leaving town I'd keep checking Facebook Craigslist etc. should be decent bikes available money saved versus buying new can be used to upgrade parts.

Chaithawat by any chance ?

They may be cheapest, but I do no like their business ethic - been lied to "Is this the last one in this size and color/model you can get ? "Yes". I bought it fast, as I read they were phasing out a 26" model in Thailand...went to get my bike and they had the same bike and frame size brought in ready to sell, so no urgency to buy that week when funds were tight.

They wrecked a piece of equipment I needed fitted by fitting it wrongly and generally shoddy handling of it....1000 Baht in the hole plus 200 wrecking fee.

Overcharge on simple repairs at rates = to the daily salary of everyday Thais for 30 minutes work....just generally slip-and-slide their way to the answer they think most likely to get money out your pocket....not the true or correct answer.

Then we got Jacky bike that tells foreigners 'your wheels no good, need new spokes.' Fell for that one, then read he says it all the time....good money spinner that one.

Edited by freedomnow

I have only been foreigner fleeced for a simple repair once bleeding brakes. All I will say is I think the Thai shops should charge a little MORE for service for everybody. They are mostly Thais buying bikes at overseas prices, guess people will only tolerate paying local rates for repairs, even though it requires special tools and skills. Why some of the shops are happy to sell but maintenance is a PITA for them. 

On November 18, 2016 at 7:50 AM, junglechef said:

"Bought in October this year, when I thought I would live here, but I am switching careers to join some friends. Marin Bolinas 6.2 15" I added the kickstand, rear rack, and rear light, combination lock, and bottle cage. 15,000 baht I have the reciept. It was bought from Mong Cycles. New, the total cost was 16,600. Condition still mint. I am in old town until November 24. Bike viewable any time, but I prefer not to part with it until November 20, but can do sooner if somebody needs it"

I don't know thew owner nor the bike personally so can't vouch for it but do know he has lowered the price to 13,000 for me and perhaps would be willing to bargin more considering the time frame if it's not sold yet. 

I would be happy to put you in contact with seller. 

If you meant 17" or 18" frame  when you wrote "bike size #17~18" this might be interesting to someone else who is around 5'7" 

Bikes depreciate faster than used cars...id offer 7-8 k tops. 

21 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

Bikes depreciate faster than used cars...id offer 7-8 k tops. 

Not really here, esp. in harder to find sizes due to a lack of many for sale.

Especially hard to find a good deal on a used good quality MTB for a kid.

BTW used cars don't depreciate that fast either here

Anyway I'd say 10k is a fair price for all for that particular bike 

This just in.

Posted on FB by seller of bike we have been discussing

"Where is the best store to sell a bicycle? I tried selling it in used items groups but everybody that contacts me wants to get 50% off even for a like-new and essentially new bicycle. The used market out here is crap so I might as well sell it to a store."

The thread is hilarious for all you with nothing better to do on this lovely Saturday afternoon.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2016 at 2:53 PM, junglechef said:

Not really here, esp. in harder to find sizes due to a lack of many for sale.

Especially hard to find a good deal on a used good quality MTB for a kid.

BTW used cars don't depreciate that fast either here

Anyway I'd say 10k is a fair price for all for that particular bike 

Just a follow up, the bike sold for 9,500 bht 

Ok actually a typical annoying TV post

"I told you so" na na na na na na 

:stoner:just trying to be sure you start your day with a smirk, hope you have a great one!!