Retirement visa for US Citizen at Jomtien today

I applied for my first retirement visa today in Jomtien. As I had a tough time finding much info ( my error I am sure) using the search feature I thought I would post my experience. 

I went yesterday afternoon and had more copies and more documentation than needed.

At the counter I needed a copy of my passport, departure card, current visa, and entry stamp. Additionally, I need 1 copy of my income letter from the US Embassy, and my application, and address verification since I was not in the system.

The lady informed me all my paperwork was in order, however, my landlord had not reported my address ( TM30) and as soon as this was done either upstairs or online I could come back and drop everything with her. 

I realize there is plenty of info about TM30 on this site, however, in 5+ years this was the first I heard of this. I found the forms online, including the special power of atty so my wife could go file on behalf of my landlord. We went upstairs, got a brief and  polite "explanation" of the penalties for me not filing my address with Jomtien immigration personally in addition to my landlord filing.  The lady then told her the fine was 1600b, filled out some paperwork, gave my wife a receipt and form to staple in my passport. 

The Thai website for filing the TM30 online is pretty much as you would expect it to be. Using encrypted.google.com I search "file tm30 online" and found a property mgmnt sight that had a working link that went directly to the page in Thai.  I did not save the link, but that is how I found it. 

While we were waiting I listened in as an immigration employee was explaining to another farang the WE have to report in person or online at Jomtien immigration because immigration at Swampy is not connected to immigration in the provinces and "Thai people cannot always help." An interesting explanation. 

Downstairs and back to the original counter. The lady at the counter remembered me, took the papers, made a copy of the address report and told me to pick up my passport the next business day after 2 pm. Oh yeah, there was another 1900b for the visa =)

If I am posting in the wrong forum ( I am not a regular poster ) feel free to let me know.  

Hope this helps someone and saves them the brief delay I had.......5 days before my visa expired.

Overall, the entire process was a breeze. If it had not been for the address issue I would have been in and out in under 30 minutes.

• Like 1

When should you file a TM30? I'm here on the 30 day TV plus an occasional 30 day extension as I am still working. I plan applying for a retirement/marriage VISA in about a year, still a little confused on the difference between thrm. I fill in my address on the arrival card does that count for anything? I am married to Thai woman and we've owned a house for almost 5 years in Pattaya. Is my wife considered the landlord? Does she have to file the TM30 or do I? Thanks....

1 minute ago, Jaybott said:

When should you file a TM30? I'm here on the 30 day TV plus an occasional 30 day extension as I am still working. I plan applying for a retirement/marriage VISA in about a year, still a little confused on the difference between thrm. I fill in my address on the arrival card does that count for anything? I am married to Thai woman and we've owned a house for almost 5 years in Pattaya. Is my wife considered the landlord? Does she have to file the TM30 or do I? Thanks....

Your wife has the responsiblity as housemaster to file the TM30 

your girlfriend or wife is the 'landlord' and you still havta do this tm30 nonsense or be fined?

'the bs piled up so high ye needed wings to stay above it...' Captain Willard in Apocalypse now...another SE Asian misadventure...

Fortunately none of the TM30 nonsense is required at the main Immigration office in Bangkok!