Already Been To Cambodia ?

midas

Was in PP just over 2 years ago....

Stayed at the Walkabout hotel....10 -12 bucks Oz a night.....always plenty of girls around there nighttimes...$10US ST and $20US LT...Viet, Thai and Cambodian.

Looked around a few places but wasnt impressed with the nightlife...was advised to travel by taxi at night which was not expensive. Daytime walking was fine. Found the locals to be friendly and only had one try to overcharge me. The lack of ATMs was a drawback but the safe deposit box covered that.

The state of the roads, footpaths and traffic was pretty bad....but I was expecting that to be the case, did the research before going.

I would go back...but the missus wont let me....fair call I guess....she knows me too well.....Bugger !!!!

:o

Yesterday afternoon I crossed the Thai / Cambodia border at Hat Lek.

I witnessed a large number of very disgruntled European tourists

as they argued fiercely with various Cambodians who were demanding

outrageous amounts for bringing them a short distance byroad from Koh Kong

to the immigration checkpoint. It's not good to see so many tourists

being harassed in that way ............

I have had several trips to Cambodia and will continue to return, It is unfortunate that people are still being "ripped off" by the locals but a bit of homework and a net search before traveling in a foreign country can save a lot of grief.

Simple things like finding out the price for a journey before taking it can save a lot of hassles, I am sure the staff at the hotel could tell what is the correct price and agree on this price before departure.

A couple of years ago I was sitting in a restaurant in Koh Kong, an American guy sat at the table next to me and started chatting, I told him I was going to Sihanoukville the next day by the ferry, he told me he thought it was expensive as he just paid a motodop $25 USD for his ticket. I never had the heart to tell him the correct price was $12 USD

I was sitting in a restaurant in Koh Kong, an American guy sat at the table next to me and started chatting, I told him I was going to Sihanoukville the next day by the ferry, he told me he thought it was expensive as he just paid a motodop $25 USD for his ticket. I never had the heart to tell him the correct price was $12 USD

:o:D:D

We just came back from 3 days in Cambodia, a week ago. Went to Angkor Wat, Siem Reap, lake Tonle Sap only. Expensive tour package through "Oscar Nova," but worth the price (22,000 for 1 Thai & 1 farang). They pampered us; we were their only tourists. Four star hotel, all meals and admissions covered, including border crossings and a driver in a Toyota Camry. Good personal, tri-lingual tour guide. No real complaints.

Would we go back? I don't think so. Angkor Wat was worth seeing once. It's one of those pitiful undeveloped countries, desperately poor. Siem Reap seems to be one big tourist trap. $2.50 for a can of CocaCola, in the hotel! Saw a refugee camp of illegal Vietnamese, and a short tour of the killing fields.

Boyfriend and I did not pay anybody for you-know-what, so I have no idea what it costs to hire a lady of the Khmer evening.

Would we go back? I don't think so. Angkor Wat was worth seeing once. It's one of those pitiful undeveloped countries, desperately poor. Siem Reap seems to be one big tourist trap. $2.50 for a can of CocaCola, in the hotel!

I can tell you categorically this sort of outrageous pricing can be seen in more and more

places throughout Cambodian now - everyone is out to grab is much money as possible

from foreigners and it seems it's even more easy for them to do so when they can price things

in dollars. I don't like it !

I'm visiting Hanoi next month after not being to Vietnam for 10 years ! It will be interesting

to compare Vietnam's pricing policies towards visitors compared to Cambodia....................

Would we go back? I don't think so. Angkor Wat was worth seeing once. It's one of those pitiful undeveloped countries, desperately poor. Siem Reap seems to be one big tourist trap. $2.50 for a can of CocaCola, in the hotel!

I can tell you categorically this sort of outrageous pricing can be seen in more and more

places throughout Cambodian now - everyone is out to grab is much money as possible

from foreigners and it seems it's even more easy for them to do so when they can price things

in dollars. I don't like it !

I'm visiting Hanoi next month after not being to Vietnam for 10 years ! It will be interesting

to compare Vietnam's pricing policies towards visitors compared to Cambodia....................

Double pricing occurs in VN....Cu Chi Tunnels.....63000 dong for foreigners and only 8000 dong for Viets.....

Double pricing occurs in VN....Cu Chi Tunnels.....63000 dong for foreigners and only 8000 dong for Viets.....

gburns it's not this sort of two-tier pricing so much that annoys me- in fact we see this

as a number of venues here in Bangkok. I was referring more to charging very high

and unreasonable prices just because we are foreigners e.g the $2.50 for a can of CocaCola

referred to.

take a look inside the supermarkets in Phnom Penh where all the expats do their shopping

-some of the basic grocery items on the shelves are TWICE the price of Tops Supermarket

for example. There is no justification for that ?

What in the world are you guys on about now? Of course you will get screwed in Cambodia if your some silly tourist, same same Thailand! In general I have had less problems in Cambodia than Thailand in the past, This because its a smaller country, easier to navigate. What it is not is the kind of place that any smuck can show up to and thrive without doing his homework.

The main concerns are the hospitals and clinics, In this regaurd Thailand is far superior. As far as a Visa, finding staff for a small business, or living in a nice house with staff, Cambodia easily surpasses Thailand. Cambodians are very hard working and motivated people, they are making a hard fought comeback.

What in the world are you guys on about now? Of course you will get screwed in Cambodia if your some silly tourist, same same Thailand! In general I have had less problems in Cambodia than Thailand in the past, This because its a smaller country, easier to navigate. What it is not is the kind of place that any smuck can show up to and thrive without doing his homework.

The main concerns are the hospitals and clinics, In this regaurd Thailand is far superior.

Chalk and cheese !! some of those " hospitals " in shop houses in Phnom Penh look decidedly iffy !! :o and