Returning to the UK with 5 months left on my passport.

Can i return to the UK with only 5 months remaining on my UK passport. Im assuming this wont be a problem when leaving Thailand to visit UK. I realise i will need a new passport once i need leave UK and return to Thailand.

Thanks

Kate

No issue whatever, you can enter your home country on an expired passport.

This assumes that you're not transiting a country that requires 6 months validity for transit passengers.

But don't forget, you can get up to an additional 9 months validity on your new UK passport when applying early, so it may be an idea to get a replacement whilst in Thailand.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Crossy said:

No issue whatever, you can enter your home country on an expired passport.

This assumes that you're not transiting a country that requires 6 months validity for transit passengers.

But don't forget, you can get up to an additional 9 months validity on your new UK passport when applying early, so it may be an idea to get a replacement whilst in Thailand.

Thanks for your help. Im going back to the UK in March 2017 (3 months time) and im worried i'll be cutting it fine, but i will try and get it done before i leave. 

Thanks again

Kate

16 minutes ago, KNJ said:

Apply in the UK, pay the express service, submit in the morning, collect in the afternoon

Yes i will probably end up doing this. The only benefit to getting it done before i leave Thailand is so that i can have my re-entry permit put into my new passport, however ive been advised that it's no problem using my expired passport when re-entering Thailand again in May 2017. Happy to know i have 2 options now.

Thanks

On 1/4/2017 at 4:15 PM, Kate33 said:

Yes i will probably end up doing this. The only benefit to getting it done before i leave Thailand is so that i can have my re-entry permit put into my new passport, however ive been advised that it's no problem using my expired passport when re-entering Thailand again in May 2017. Happy to know i have 2 options now.

Thanks

Unless you live in Bangkok, definitely better to renew your passport in the UK IMHO. Otherwise you might be faced with a couple of arduous trips in person to an office building with an extremely silly name somewhere in deepest darkest downtown Bangkok! 

• Like 1

On 1/4/2017 at 3:48 PM, Kate33 said:

Thanks for your help. Im going back to the UK in March 2017 (3 months time) and im worried i'll be cutting it fine, but i will try and get it done before i leave. 

Thanks again

Kate

My friend renewed his British passport in Bangkok a couple of months ago and it only took 12 days so I think you have plenty of time (agencies that hand in applications for people who do not live in Bangkok are quoting guaranteed 28-day turnarounds).

• Like 1