Outgoing mail

krabi local

1 hour ago, krabi local said:

I have a POP3 mail server so can easily receive messages but can not send from that email.

You may find that the default SMTP port 25 is blocked. It may also be that you need to configure the password settings for sending in your email client.

All email service providers that I know of accept connections via alternative ports (ie 2500, 465 when used with an SSL connection). If you look at the support website of your email provider it should explain which ports are acceptable to them and how to use them.

As a general rule you should always use SSL connections for sending and receiving over shared wifi as it is childishly simple to hack email passwords otherwise.

28 minutes ago, krabi local said:

It's a POP3 account so does not have an outgoing server.

It would be quite rare (though not unheard of) for a POP3 account not to also have an SMTP server affiliated with it. If yours doesnt then perhaps you should consider switching your email account to a provider that offers a full service. Such accounts are available at very low cost (I pay USD12 per year for mine). It would be very hard, for example, for you to send emails from a public connection in an airport or similar place without having proper access to your own SMTP server, and whenever you change location you will be fiddling around trying to find SMTP server settings that work (as you are doing now). At the same time you might also like to consider using IMAP rather than POP3 as this offers significant advantages for use over multiple devices.

Edited by KittenKong

13 hours ago, krabi local said:

Does anyone know the outgoing mail server (SMTP) for True ?

I have a POP3 mail server so can easily receive messages but can not send from that email.

I have shared wifi from my landlord and that is supplied by True.

I tried asking him but he has absolutely no idea what I am talking about.

You say you are running a POP3 mail server, which one are you configuring, and how are you configuring?

If I am mistaken with the above and you only have a POP3 account:

a/ Who is your account with/who is your provider, ie, @gmail, @yahoo, @yourdomain, etc? (This is the SMTP server that you need, not True if it is only being used for a Wi-Fi connection)

b/ Which email client are you using, ie, Outlook, Opera, Thunderbird, etc?

If you cannot find, or still have problems with your email provider's SMTP address, try a service like SMTP2Go or similar, link to read about it is here (you can try this for free):

http://www.smtp2go.com/

Not that it appars to be your problem, but the main reason ISPs block port 25 is to block malware that sends out thousands of spam and phishing messages.

If you run your own mail server at home, you can ask your ISP to unblock it for you, but I'm guessing in Thailand that would be like pulling teeth.

Anyway, that aside, in your case, perhaps this thread will help.

17 minutes ago, Chicog said:

Not that it appars to be your problem, but the main reason ISPs block port 25 is to block malware that sends out thousands of spam and phishing messages.

I agree and this in turn creates another problem especially when the email originates from a dynamic IP address.

Many mail servers will have spam filters set to block email sent from that SMTP address unless your sending email address shares the same domain name and/or that domain name will resolve back to the sending IP.

At least this was the case a few years ago when we had a local mail server at our office. The SMTP servers from all Thai ISP's were often blacklisted.

1 hour ago, thedemon said:

At least this was the case a few years ago when we had a local mail server at our office. The SMTP servers from all Thai ISP's were often blacklisted.

There was one of the RBL's that blocked the entire ISP if just one address was throwing out spam. Their attitude was that it was the ISPs fault. Of course this blocked legitimate mail senders as well.

I actually wrote to the EU and complained about it being anti-competitive and so on, and got a nice letter back saying that they were accepting the case and instructing the EU office in Germany (I think it was) to take action against the gits.

Which is nice.