Garmin Gvn 52 Gps Navigation System

dvk1951

Has anyone seen the Garmin GVN 52 for sale in Thailand?

This model is designed to be integrated with an existing video head unit and does not have a display screen of its own; said to function similar to the Street Pilot and operates from a remote control.

It looks very similar in shape to an amplifier and can be mounted out of sight. I like the idea of eliminating the dash mounted display temptation.

The Garmin website( www.garmin.com ) lists the price as 646 USD (~ 24K baht).

Edited by dvk1951

Berty,

That appears to be a 2 DIN monitor HU, can not determine the brand from the picture. The going rate for this type of upper end DVD/CD/MP3 monitor for brands such as Alpine and Pioneer seem to be around the 50k baht range, does the 80k include speakers and amps?

I know that some of these HU's have integrated navigational software but do not know of the availability of the Thailand maps other than Garmin, thus my request for info.

Can you give me a bit more info on what I am looking at in your picture?

Percy2,

I checked out ESRI and found nothing, can not find a site for Gadget Trend unless it is beyond page 10 on Google. Do you happen to have a link?

We're installing these things in some clients cars these days. Not cheap though at around 80K all with DVD etc.

:o

Edited by dvk1951

It's just a regular TV/DVD unit, and we added a Garmin unit. No speaker for this price, but you'd get the gizmo for the steering wheel buttons.

80.000 :o what is the make of the HU and how much is the Garmin unit on it's own??

It's a JVC head unit. The Garmin gadget alone is 35,000 Baht, The new Toyota Camry is 110,000 Baht more for the model with GPS in it, only GPS.

After three emails to ESRI and no replies, I'm kind of soured on the whole deal. I did read an article (can't find it back) that ESRI has all the information to make a VERY good precise map of the entire country but decided it wasn't worth the effort because of a small market.

Business decisions are one thing but I would have thought the least they could do is answer their emails. :o

Surprise, surprise! I got an answer from ESRI. Unfortunately none of my questions were answered. They simply recommended that I spend 28,000 baht on a Nuvi 310. In fact here is the reply;

Sorry for late reply, Please let me suggest you about the GPS Car

Navigator.

Nuvi 310 + Thailand Map the price is 28,000 baht. Its provide scale

1:4000 for important city (Ampor Muang); Street, shopping center,

hospital, hotel etc. Another area show 1:20000.

Attached please find the specification of Nuvi 310

For more information or any inquires, please feel free to contact me via

e-mail.

The guy from ESRI promptly answered my last email and sent me a picture of the village I asked him about. The village was Nong Hin. I live about 5 kilometers from Nong Hin in an even smaller village called Nong Gik. Nong Gik is on a very good paved road so I was quite disappointed that that road didn't even show on the map. Even my road atlas shows that road to Nong Gik. I asked him if there were any plans to detail the Issan area better. Since the road atlas is more detailed than the Garmin, the Garmin is of very little use to me in this area.

• 1 year later...
Has anyone seen the Garmin GVN 52 for sale in Thailand?

This model is designed to be integrated with an existing video head unit and does not have a display screen of its own; said to function similar to the Street Pilot and operates from a remote control.

It looks very similar in shape to an amplifier and can be mounted out of sight. I like the idea of eliminating the dash mounted display temptation.

The Garmin website( www.garmin.com ) lists the price as 646 USD (~ 24K baht).