Flights to Koh Samui

leeroy221

Hi,

I am after some help please. I am looking for direct flights from Bangkok to Koh Samui for 2 adult 1 child. We want to leave on 7 August and return 14 August.

Can someone let me know airlines that do direct flights and how much its likely to cost. I have had a look but it seems rather expensive at 28k thb. Thanks.

Bangkok Airways files direct from Suvarnabhumi to Samui 15 - 25 times daily. Thai Airways also has a direct flight once or twice daily. 

Unless you take afvantage of rare promotion you should expect to pay between 4000 and 5000 per leg per person. So yes, a return trip for three would set you back close to 30,000 Baht. 

A cheaper alternative is to fly from Don Muang to either Suratthani or Nakorn sri Thammarat on the mainland. From there you can take a (mini)bus to Donsak, from where the ferries depart to Samui. Some airlines offer all inclusive tickets (flight+bus+ferry). Savings compared to a direct flight could be upwards of 50%. However you will spend the better part of the day getting to Samui this way. 

17 minutes ago, Gulfsailor said:

Bangkok Airways files direct from Suvarnabhumi to Samui 15 - 25 times daily. Thai Airways also has a direct flight once or twice daily. 

Unless you take afvantage of rare promotion you should expect to pay between 4000 and 5000 per leg per person. So yes, a return trip for three would set you back close to 30,000 Baht. 

A cheaper alternative is to fly from Don Muang to either Suratthani or Nakorn sri Thammarat on the mainland. From there you can take a (mini)bus to Donsak, from where the ferries depart to Samui. Some airlines offer all inclusive tickets (flight+bus+ferry). Savings compared to a direct flight could be upwards of 50%. However you will spend the better part of the day getting to Samui this way. 

Not necessarily. 

For example; departure time of 2pm, arriving in Na Thon at 6.45pm is not terrible.  Total cost 10500 baht inclusive of transfers with Lion Air Thai and Lomprayah.

6300 baht for the flights. 3500 baht for the Lomprayah transfers from Surat Thani airport and from Samui.

Edit: Lomprayah journey half price for children, so a total price of 9,800 baht.

Approximately a third of the price of the Bangkok Airways flights.

Edited by JamJar

As an aside, since you are posting on the Don Mueang board, direct flights to Koh Samui leave from Suvarnabhumi.

From Don Mueang, the choices are like the one I have illustrated.

There are even cheaper options available by mixing and matching flights. For instance the earliest flight with Nok Air is 839 baht each(2517 bt). Transfer to Na Thon with Lomprayah 1500 baht for 3.  So 4017 baht one way, depart 06.10am, arrive 10.55am to Na Thon Pier.

Use Lion Air Thai for the return.

Edited by JamJar

1 hour ago, leeroy221 said:

Thank you for the replies. I didn't realise Swampy flew internal flights, though they were Intl only. Na Thon Pier, is that on Samui? I did see one flight earlier that mentioned the pier and wondered if that was including a ferry.

Nathon is the official island capital. It's on the West coast. Most touristy stuff is on the East and West coasts. So if you plan to stay in Chaweng or thereabouts add 45 minutes (taxi) to at least an hour (combined minivan) travel time.

This and the direct flight from Suvarnabhumi is the reason why Bangkok Air gets away with their high prices. For most international arriving tourists at BKK the choice is between going direct to tourist area on Samui in 2-2.5 hours. (Check in / transfer time plus flight time plus drive to hotel), compared to at least 8 hours when doing it by transferring through Don Muang and a southern mainland airport. 

6 hours ago, Gulfsailor said:

Nathon is the official island capital. It's on the West coast. Most touristy stuff is on the East and West coasts. So if you plan to stay in Chaweng or thereabouts add 45 minutes (taxi) to at least an hour (combined minivan) travel time.

This and the direct flight from Suvarnabhumi is the reason why Bangkok Air gets away with their high prices. For most international arriving tourists at BKK the choice is between going direct to tourist area on Samui in 2-2.5 hours. (Check in / transfer time plus flight time plus drive to hotel), compared to at least 8 hours when doing it by transferring through Don Muang and a southern mainland airport

Not everyone is connecting directly from an International flight, nor does everyone stay wish to stay on Chaweng. :)

If going directly to Samui from abroad, many would book a 'through' ticket in the first place.

There is little doubt that the Suvarnabhumi link is the more convenient, but the alternative is not bad for people already in Bangkok.

Just stumbled upon this misplaced thread.

No flights to/from Don Mueang.

Only Bangkok Air and Thai Airways to/from Suvarnabhumi.

Suvarnabhumi still serves a lot of domestic travel and even increasing with the withdraw of Thai Smile from Don Mueang.

And remember the OP asks for a direct flight.

Sure, flights to Samui are expensive (almost monopolized) and there are cheaper alternatives with flight and ferry but not everyone is up to.

Even if it's late I move this to the general Travel forum.

Note: if you see an obviously misplaced thread, use the "Report" function. Thanks.

8 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Just stumbled upon this misplaced thread.

No flights to/from Don Mueang.

Only Bangkok Air and Thai Airways to/from Suvarnabhumi.

Suvarnabhumi still serves a lot of domestic travel and even increasing with the withdraw of Thai Smile from Don Mueang.

And remember the OP asks for a direct flight.

Sure, flights to Samui are expensive (almost monopolized) and there are cheaper alternatives with flight and ferry but not everyone is up to.

Even if it's late I move this to the general Travel forum.

Note: if you see an obviously misplaced thread, use the "Report" function. Thanks.

Thank you KhunBENQ. There was not an option to put in general travel.

I am open to ideas etc. On how to get there. We are in LOS for 4 weeks sotime is not a real issue but with a kiddie would prefer direct flight. Just thought the flights would have been a bit cheaper.

As others described, a popular alternative is the flight to Surat Thani and then to the pier and on with the ferry (I don't know much about that).

Flights to Surat Thani from DMK (Nok Air, Air Asia, Lion Air) and BKK (Thai Smile).

Flights prices start at about 1000 Baht oneway (very depending on date/time).

Like many members here I would avoid Nok Air.

Air Asia has an all incl. rate incl. transfer to pier and ferry.

Total travel time adds up to about 5h to 7h.