Bangkok Pavements - What Are They Doing To Them?

1Lucky

I know thailand's pavements are hardly renowned for their pothole free surfaces but it seems that along Sukhumvit (near Phom Phrong) and along Rama 4 (near carrefour) the builders are really trying to outdo themselves with destroying what were reasonable pavements. they seem to be laying large blue pipes under the surface for which they dig the whole pavement up. Seemingly they can't be bothered to replace it properly and just throw a bit of the original surface back over it and leave it in a right mess. In other parts - especially near villa they don't seem to have bothered to dig low enough so the pipe is actually higher than the pavement below which it was supposed to run. Not to be put out by this the builders have just poured concrete over it so the pavement is now more of an arch than a flat surface. Its bad enough for wheelchairs and the like to get around bangkok anyway but this really takes the p**s. why can't these guys do something approaching a basic reasonable job and have some consideration for people less able than themselves?

Lucky

I love Thailand and know to take the downsides with the goodsides, and I know that working safety standards and the rest may not always be the best, but this really does seem to take the micky - a 3 year old child could probably do a better job than these guys are doing? Who are they doing this work for? I guess its soom kind of drainage system which is understandable but with half the pipes already poking back out of the pavement it doesn't look like its going to work and the pavements look like a sandpit. I really feel for non-able bodied thais - what a nightmare getting around their own capital city when people seemingly don't give a ###### about them.

Lucky

I've been in Thailand a long time and tend to view most of what happens here with wry amusement but I must admit this rather takes the biscuit.

Promphong is a well used area and now there's a concrete ridge about 8 inches high running down the cantre of the sidewalk, I personally almost sprained an ankle on it the other day.

Quite an amazing piece of work - even for Thailand.

I can't see them just leaving it like that but remedial work is going to be difficult anyway. They'll either have to re-lay the whole pipe or raise the pavement surface to the same height as the ridge.

Patrick

....for sure the worst piece of engineering I have seen here in over 25 years!

You think someone engineered it? Planned it? Forethought? Oh, aren't we thinking "western" again!? :D

Dreamer. :D

My assumption: A last-minute improvised solution by an imported Isaan construction worker. :o

Edited by toptuan

....for sure the worst piece of engineering I have seen here in over 25 years!

You think someone engineered it? Planned it? Forethought? Oh, aren't we thinking "western" again!? :D

Dreamer. :D

My assumption: A last-minute improvised solution by an imported Isaan construction worker. :o

What? Hardly last minute improvised, you will find this hump in many parts of the route of the pipeline, one of the worse being very near On Nut BTS.

Can’t blame an Isan dumbfcuk for that and don’t give me that look pal.

The simple fact is that the individuals doing the work are monkeys and the people supervising the work are monkeys.

This being the case do you really think that you are going to see a better quality job.

This is TIT at it's most glaringly best.

The footpaths have been in a sad state for years and nothings gonna change any time soon.

It's really quite ironical when you see advertisements in the paper seeking people to be receptionists (to answer the telephone) and they must have a degree and then you get these di*kheads producing this sort of work.

Any person carrying out a job must know what is expected of them and the consequences of not doing it.

Thailand has the lowest unemployment rate in the world, WHY?, it's because the unemployable are all employed.

"Nuff said" just don't get me started :o

Edited by john b good

The simple fact is that the individuals doing the work are monkeys and the people supervising the work are monkeys.

And the people who provide the budgets for the work all drive to work in Mercedes, so they don't really give a toss either.

Any person carrying out a job must know what is expected of them and the consequences of not doing it.

Of couse they know the consequences and clearly understand what the boss wants:

Continuing Revenue with a new contract for the rework and the re-rework and the...........; all of which insures longevity and security of employment.

You people in the "posh" areas such as Phrom Phong get it ssoooo goood. Up here in Phra Khanong we get 2 bloody pipes down the footpath, not just one, and they're both at least half above ground. Been there a while already and now the cement casing is flaking off in large chunks. What a bloody nightmare. Will be a right mess come the rainy season when the water between the pipies has nowhere to go.

Rumour has it this is a public works initiative personally instigated by the now deposed Thaksin.....as a "thank you" to the people of Bangkok for their support during 2006.

Oh quit your b*tching....try driving down Suksawat Road on the other side of the river and we've been putting up with that for years. Oh, and on much of it there is no sidewalk to walk on anyway.

And I've been told they will finish it in 5 years.

I only visited Bangkok for the first time in Oct 2005 - and have been back twice since, with another visit planned for New Year's Eve weekend - but the sidewalks really struck me as the city's most surprising negative.

A complete contrast with all the new mass transit systems and the flashy shopping malls. It's like you're in the first world one minute, and when you step outside, it's the third world.

• 2 weeks later...
Oh quit your b*tching....try driving down Suksawat Road on the other side of the river and we've been putting up with that for years. Oh, and on much of it there is no sidewalk to walk on anyway.

And I've been told they will finish it in 5 years.

I had to drive down to the Navy base at the end of Suksawat Road the other day, Jeez what a sh1thole of a road that is! My car changed colour to Red, I pity you for having to put up with that road.

I thought the state of the sidewalks/pavements was the reason for building the Skywalk, well that and the fact that the pavement vendors are running out of space at ground level.

yeah you have that bit of skywalk at asoke now too, its time they just extended it the full length of the BTS, or in more key sections not much good for the traders and shops though is suppose.

I walked past there today.

It's part of a large improvement in the area. New curbs and ashpalt roadway is in and the torn up sidewalks are looking like they will redone.

The half burried blue pipe looks like it will be under the new walkway soon.

Recently, they did a super job on the sidewalks in my neighborhood.

Smooth and wide.

Unfortunatly, someone set the new phone booths, next to some poles and signs in a way to completly block the sidewalk.

The most idiotic placement I have seen.

That seems to reflect the kind of different philosophy with regards to pavements in thailand. It seems to be a place to plant trees, dangle electrical cables, leave open gaping holes and generally dig up perfectly good tarmac and not bother to replace it. I'm beginning to think its probably just a cultural thing. If it were like the UK I'd hate it so what was I complaining about in the first place. This place is great - mad pavements and all.

That seems to reflect the kind of different philosophy with regards to pavements in thailand. It seems to be a place to plant trees, dangle electrical cables, leave open gaping holes and generally dig up perfectly good tarmac and not bother to replace it. I'm beginning to think its probably just a cultural thing. If it were like the UK I'd hate it so what was I complaining about in the first place. This place is great - mad pavements and all.

Why would you hate it if the pavements were like in the UK? You can actually walk on the pavements in the UK. You could walk from one end of the UK to the other on pavements. In Thailand I doubt if you could walk a few hundred feet without having to dodge a multitude of obstacles.

Great thread here. Hope everyone enjoyed slagging a third world country’s sidewalks in comparison to their 1st world home country. Would anyone care to compare the public works budget of Bangkok and London? How about the taxes to support it? That sure might explain the difference. You cannot have it both ways. Cheap country, cheap public infrastructure and services.

Give it a break guys. Have you never been to another third world country before? At least in Bangkok there is room to step between the spit on the sidewalk. In China you will never find that.

TH

Edited by thaihome

Ilove the pavements and roads here in bangers, everyday me and the gf go out for a qucik nibble, we always seem to trip up or fall over, " are ya dancing Love?" I will ask my girl. Without all those soi dog pawprints in the new concrete it would be just like living in hollywood with all of those star type imprints dont ya think?

Lookchin

i've been to heaps of 3rd world countries (but not china) and i don't believe that it's primarily about public works budgets. it's rather about the concepts of public space and planning for the future. not big issues here.

Its about how much is budgeted for the "job" and how much is actually paid for the "job"

Its all about who can make what "under" the table!!!

I disagree. That’s just an excuse. It’s like saying that the Thais drive irresponsibly because they can’t afford to drive any other way.

The problem of both issues is down to one of three things.

-lack of education/training

-laziness

-stupidity

Maybe more than one of these things.

Great thread here. Hope everyone enjoyed slagging a third world country’s sidewalks in comparison to their 1st world home country. Would anyone care to compare the public works budget of Bangkok and London? How about the taxes to support it? That sure might explain the difference. You cannot have it both ways. Cheap country, cheap public infrastructure and services.

Give it a break guys. Have you never been to another third world country before? At least in Bangkok there is room to step between the spit on the sidewalk. In China you will never find that.

TH