Thais close as world’s best Scrabble player wins international tournament in India

webfact

Thais close as world’s best Scrabble player wins international tournament in India

S.JPG

BANGALORE: -- Two of Thailand’s top English language Scrabble players managed to finish second and fourth behind the world’s number one player in India.

Second at the four day Capgemini International event in Bangalore that concluded on Sunday was Thai number one rated player Pichai Limprasert. In fourth was fellow Bangkokian player Thacha Koowirat.

Pichai won 23 of the 34 games and also tied one of the games. He won 160,000 rupees worth 80,000 baht.

In first place was Nigel Richards of New Zealand who is recognized as the greatest Scrabble player of all time. Nigel, based in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, has won the world championship three times and has triumphed in Thailand’s prestigious King’s Cup in Bangkok on no fewer than 12 occasions.

Nigel lost just four games in Bangalore but one of those defeats was to Pichai.

“It was a very tough tournament,” said the Thai number one who last year won seven consecutive events in Thailand where the game is played in English by tens of thousands of people, many of them schoolchildren.

“The local players in India are of a very good standard like in Thailand,” added Pichai, “but at least I managed to beat Nigel once.

“I will just have to study to be better in the future!”

This year the world championships are set to take place in Qatar with another big event being the WESPA (World English Scrabble Players’ Association) championships in Kenya. Thai players will be sure to be vying for the top honors.

Next Scrabble and crossword gaming events events in Thailand will be the north eastern championships at the Central shopping center in Khon Kaen next weekend and the ECC National Crossword Puzzle Championships at The Mall, Bangkapi, Bangkok at the start of next month, February 4th and 5th.

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-01-17

5 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Prayut said the other day Thai language was going to become the #1 language in the world so why were these Thai's playing scrabble in English ?

When did he say that ??

Where did he day that ??

Do you have a link---love to see it and know its not just another one of your fantasy post's.

Yes I tried to Google it--its reporting that only one person is quoting that--"You" congrats.

12 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

When did he say that ??

Where did he day that ??

Do you have a link---love to see it and know its not just another one of your fantasy post's.

Yes I tried to Google it--its reporting that only one person is quoting that--"You" congrats.

When did he say that ??

Where did he day that ??

Something along these lines.. http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2017/01/12/prayuth-thai-will-become-world-language

When did he say that ??

Where did he day that ??

You should practice more at googling before running your mouth.

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=Thai+will+become+world+language&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b&gws_rd=cr&ei=J2N9WMPGOIjxvASUt46ABg