Thai Doctor Debunks Rabies Myths

george

Doctor debunks rabies myths

BANGKOK: -- Rabies has claimed 21 lives in 15 provinces this winter, Public Health permanent secretary Dr Prat Boonyawongvirot said yesterday.

Deaths this year have exceeded the 20 for all of 2005.

Puppies younger than three months old bit most of those who died.

Rabies spreads in both the hot season and winter, Prat warned, adding it was transmitted by dogs fighting over mates.

Prat advised anyone bitten to seek immediate treatment. Symptoms in humans could present themselves within seven days to two years after being bitten.

He advised people to ignore long-held myths about rabies. Its spread was common in hot weather and cold and bites cannot be treated with balm or tobacco.

Slapping wounds with sandals is not a cure, he added, and neither is holy water.

It is not true killing and eating the liver of the dog that bites you will stop you getting the virus, he said. Prat told people the cutting off of dogs' ears and tails will not stop them being infected.

Pregnant women can be treated for rabies, he said.

The final myth is that 14 or 21 doses of rabies vaccine need to be injected around the navels of those bitten by dogs.

-- The Nation 2006-12-10

Until I got bit by a muzzled, large dog this year, I did not know that the shots are given in the arm, like other inoculations. What amazed me is that in Thailand, they do not shoot the biting animal and dissect its brain. They make the innocent victim worry about rabies and get the shots. The cost was about 1,900 baht, including all the shots including tetanus, first aid, several visits, etc.

That is very good article. I had no idea you could incubate the disease for two years, and I hadn't heard about slapping someone with a sandal :D . Sadly, old wives tales (for want of a better phrase) tend to take the place of good solid medical facts. Maybe a story line about rabies prevention and treatment could be added to a Thai soap opera? :o

Until I got bit by a muzzled, large dog this year, I did not know that the shots are given in the arm, like other inoculations. What amazed me is that in Thailand, they do not shoot the biting animal and dissect its brain. They make the innocent victim worry about rabies and get the shots. The cost was about 1,900 baht, including all the shots including tetanus, first aid, several visits, etc.

Yes, about 9 years a go I got a nip from a somewhat aggressive dog.

The Doc suggested that if the creature lived in my area then to keep an eye on it - if it started to shake it's head in a convulsive and spastic manner, then to go back for the shots.

I just asked for the shots - it was a series of three spread over 10 days (or a fortnight) in the arm.

Police Hospital BKK - if I recollect it came to about 300 Baht at that time.

Having seen someone die from rabies I wasn't taking any chances : That is hel_l on earth.

(Someone eventually threew that doggy into a concrete sided klong one day - they got sick of it nipping kids.)

Anyway, innoculations are freely available in all Western countries these days so why take the risk and worry?.

Cheers,

Couthy.

Anyway, innoculations are freely available in all Western countries these days so why take the risk and worry?.

A couple years ago I got the rabies vaccination from the Bumrungrad shot clinic. The doctor said that even with the vaccination, if I were exposed to rabies I would still need to submit to treatement. Apparently the vaccination only eases the severity of the symptoms but doesn't prevent the infection.

A couple years ago I got the rabies vaccination from the Bumrungrad shot clinic. The doctor said that even with the vaccination, if I were exposed to rabies I would still need to submit to treatement. Apparently the vaccination only eases the severity of the symptoms but doesn't prevent the infection.

Sorry,

You got that wrong - find a better doc. Try a Government one where they are more liable to deal with this.

One: Rabies is not flu. Once the symptoms develop that is it. Full stop.

Two: Innoculation stops the initial nerve/viral attack. (But of course you have to get medical treatment for tetnus, infection etc - bites being the most infectious of injuries).

Three: There is no easing the severity of rabies.

My ex wife's Father was a Government Doctor and a most lovely humane man - he never took one Satang private in Thailand.

When they got a person in with positive diagnosis of rabies they would wire them up to a drip of dymorphine hydrachloride (Clinical herion to thee and me) and slowly turn the volume up on the drip as the symptoms got more severe.

Until sleepy time full stop.

That is human and decent.

Don't kiss doggies in S.E. Asia. Or cats, or bats, or squirrels...........and so forth.

Couthy.

rabies can stay latent up to two years, depending on the type of mammal...deer/antelopes/caprines have a 6 month quaratine leeway when rabies is suspected.

the shots are needed even if u are innoculated but the amount and timing is different

for dogs, they are not 'brain dissected' but kept under observation and if dies or is dead (recent refrigerated death not frozen) than the brain is checked.

tetanus and antibiotics for the bite wounds are always needed

IF BITTEN /SCRATHED BY ANY ANIMAL THAT MAY BE WITH RABIES, WASH THE BITTEN AREA FOR 15 MINUTES WITH HOT WATER AND SOAP AND SCRUB /CLEAN THE AREA AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE; GET SHOTS.

i think i wrote somethig up last year on same subject, cant remember...

bina

rabies can stay latent up to two years, depending on the type of mammal...deer/antelopes/caprines have a 6 month quaratine leeway when rabies is suspected.

the shots are needed even if u are innoculated but the amount and timing is different

for dogs, they are not 'brain dissected' but kept under observation and if dies or is dead (recent refrigerated death not frozen) than the brain is checked.

tetanus and antibiotics for the bite wounds are always needed

IF BITTEN /SCRATHED BY ANY ANIMAL THAT MAY BE WITH RABIES, WASH THE BITTEN AREA FOR 15 MINUTES WITH HOT WATER AND SOAP AND SCRUB /CLEAN THE AREA AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE; GET SHOTS.

i think i wrote somethig up last year on same subject, cant remember...

bina

Another reason dogs suspected of being rabid ,especially in europe is ,that in the late 70,s if you had a problem with a neighbours dog or cat,all you needed to do was pick up the phone and say the animal was acting weird, along came your local vet or cop and kapow bye bye loving pet, I rememember an incident in Aachenan old lady annoyed about dog owners not cleaning the crap up in the local park, reported 27 dogs as being rabid they were all put down no questions asked :o Nignoy

Someone should have called the vet on the old lady--sounds like she needed to be put down as well!

Ha-ha- what was that cartoon in Viz magazine?. 'Mrs Grady Little Old lady' (Summat like that).

We had one in the village who used to complain about kids playing football on the football pitch in the park.

Said she liked to walk her little yappy dog there...................

She got well telt.

Cheers,

Couthy.

That's probably what the Bumrungrad doctor in the shot clinic was communicating to me.

But, then Couthy said "Innoculation stops the initial nerve/viral attack." If the vaccination stops the nerve/viral attack, why would post-bite shots be needed in any amount or timing? Maybe she (the Bumrungrad doctor) meant that the amount of shots would be less in that no rabies shots would be required, just shots for tetanus or other infections? <shrug>

added later: I just remembered that the Bumrungrad doctor had recently administered a tetanus booster, so that again makes me wonder if she meant that rabies shots would still be required post-bite, even with the vaccine she was injecting into me.

Aha! A quick Google found this cdc document: "Rabies Vaccine, what you need to know." In that document:

Vaccination After an Exposure

Anyone who has been bitten by an animal, or who

otherwise may have been exposed to rabies, should

see a doctor immediately.

• A person who is exposed and has never been vaccinated

against rabies should get 5 doses of rabies

vaccine - one dose right away, and additional doses

on the 3rd, 7th, 14th, and 28th days. They should also

get a shot of Rabies Immune Globulin at the same time

as the first dose. This gives immediate protection.

A person who has been previously vaccinated

should get 2 doses of rabies vaccine - one right

away and another on the 3rd day. Rabies Immune

Globulin is not needed.