Nikons In Bkk?

smx1313

1st off let me say howdy all.

I'm from Brooklyn, NY. USA. I've lived in BKK in the past and will probably be back in Jan 07.

I'm considering buying a Nikon D40 (or others in the D series) in NYC but I'm wondering if it might be

worth it to wait till I get to BKK.

I've scanned a few Thai websites for prices and Nikons see to be more expensive in Thailand.

But I think those might be web prices.

Like just about anything else in Thailand the advertised price might be a lot more than the price you pay.

Has anybody bought a Nikon lately? How was it priced? Was there any barganing?

Thank you in advance.

Kap.

The only one I've seen recently was a Nikon D200 with MB22? battery pack for 60,000 baht in MBK. I nearly puked as I paid over 88,000 baht without battery pack only a couple of months ago. Plus you will 7% get tax off if you take out of the country within 60 days I think.

:o

Don't know about SLRs, but I bought a prosumer camera here in Bangkok though it is cheaper to have someone buy the same either in Hong Kong or USA. Why? Because #$%^ Nikon has a policy regarding warranty. It's only valid in the country purchased. I don't know whether this policy is a blanket policy for all Nikon cameras or prosumer only. You can verify that by going to any of the digicam sites. Since most of my time is spent in Thailand, I thought it wise to purchase locally. Not that I expect it to go for service / repair often.

Cheaper in the states...even more so now that the baht is gaining strength on the dollar. They're holding the prices the same though which makes the prices more expensive if you're not making money here and are bringing cash from the states. But sometimes now things can be cheaper if you take them back to the states or sell used stuff here if that makes sense. Since say a 85 1.2 MK1 holds it's used value at 50K...you could buy one in the states if you look for 1200...bring it here and sell and make some money as the baht puts that closer to a 1450 value here in Thailand.

Go Canon and look for deals on Dell.com...they've been doing a double 15% off plus the Canon rebate...they just had 30D's for 840 bucks once you did all the rebates and all that. That's an insane deal.

Ourmanflint...I would have puked too seeing as how the retail in the states when it was brand new and you couldn't get one anywhere had the D200 never over 1800 bucks...that's a hefty premium you paid to early adopt there. I bought a 5D in MBK for less than 95,000 new and that was selling for 3K at the time in the states (not counting rebates)... I would relook at whatever that store was or do some shopping around :o Ouch!

Paul

When things are newer out around here just patiently wait. They start off higher and come down slowly...towards the end often coming in less than the states. I've seen D70's going for lower than that and I would much rather have that than the D40....(would rather have any model Canon over those though...used to be a die hard Nikon guy too for 10 years).

Paul

I live in Thailand and travel frequently. I check on prices for equipment wherever I go.

I was looking for a D200 and 70-200 Nikkor a few months ago. I found US websites to be cheapest, followed by HK and then Singapore. Thailand was definately most expensive in my region. I allowed for sales tax refunds.

I decided not to buy from US websites due to anticipated problems with shipping/duty. Went to HK and found the body to be out of stock everywhere. Was offered a good price on D2X, but decided against it. Went to Singapore a few weeks later and got a good cash deal on body and lens.

There is not much bargaining in Asia on equipment such as this. They will come down a little but not much. You definately save with cash though - generally 3% more for credit cards.

Any limitations with warranty is not a problem for me. If I have to take it to Singapore for adjustment, then so be it. However, if you live in US and do not travel to Asia frequently then I really recommend you buy from a US dealer and get US warranty.

Edited by khunyae

• 3 weeks later...

Buy it NY and get the 5 year warrenty.

I live in Bangkok and fly to Hong Kong for all my Nikon gear. What i saved on a flash unit SB 800 alone paid for my flight.

Amazon are a good way to price match.

Concider the D80 over the D40

Thailand is a bigtime rip off on new camera prices, Its hard core foto mafia has made it the most exspensive camera destination in the world. Singapore, Hong Kong and even Pnom Phen and Kuala Lumpur offer much better pricing.

Film is also a big rip off here, If your coming on holiday and shoot black and white you best bring it with you.

• 3 weeks later...
1st off let me say howdy all.

I'm from Brooklyn, NY. USA. I've lived in BKK in the past and will probably be back in Jan 07.

I'm considering buying a Nikon D40 (or others in the D series) in NYC but I'm wondering if it might be

worth it to wait till I get to BKK.

I've scanned a few Thai websites for prices and Nikons see to be more expensive in Thailand.

But I think those might be web prices.

Like just about anything else in Thailand the advertised price might be a lot more than the price you pay.

Has anybody bought a Nikon lately? How was it priced? Was there any barganing?

Thank you in advance.

Kap.

Bought a D50 May last year, 33 000 B with 18-70 mm lens. (Seacon Square)

Bought THE 70-300 mm VR lens 2 weeks ago, 24 000 B. Sunny Camera MBK 3rd floor. Yuo can also get a lot of Nikon stuff at Niks, Silom 12.

Regarding warranty.

Nikon has a worldwide warranty on cameras bought in Thailand. Canon haguarantee is only valid in the country of purchase. I think the confusion is that cameras bought in USA via grey market import, do not have the same guarantee as cameras bought via official importers. I know because I just bought both Nikon and Canon.

Edited by Tordy