Airlines plan promotions after new jet fuel tax drives up fares

webfact

Airlines plan promotions after new jet fuel tax drives up fares
By PICHAYA CHANGSORN,
SUCHAT SRITAMA
THE NATION 

7bd1bb64a56ac234d30fcf4f37966941.jpeg

AirAsia is one of airline to prepare more marketing campaign to maintain tickets volumes after airfares up.

BANGKOK: -- AIRLINES are preparing more marketing campaigns and promotions to maintain ticket volumes after the implementation of a new jet-fuel tax is set to drive up air fares.

Major carriers doubt that the higher tax on jet fuel will affect their business in the long term, but competition is expected to be even tougher, especially for budget airlines operating domestically. 

“It is expected to halt [affect ticket] bookings for a short period, but the impact is not clear yet. It may take two weeks to see the real impact.

“But higher costs will force airlines into more competition, which will focus more on fares,” Tassapon Bijleveld, chief executive officer of Thai AirAsia, said yesterday.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/business/EconomyAndTourism/30305574

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-02-03

4 hours ago, Luckysilk said:

Domestic only for now, thank heavens as I have zero desire to travel domestically.

These airlines think marketing will help ? The Thais will be back on the buses, trains and vans faster than this insane tax was introduced. 

I use Air Asia to go to my wife's place, Nakhon Phanom, I know the price has been going up lately but it beats that 14-15 hour bus ride by a long shot.