Slum it in Airport for 10 hours

Rc2702

I arrive in bkk suvarnabhumi 10 hours before my flight to Europe. 

Been living a very peaceful existence, the thought of taxis, hotels etc for the sake of 10 hours does not appeal to me in the slightest. I know hotels are just 1km away.

So you ever been in this position and any tips? I arrive 10.30pm and my flight opens at 8am. I will not sleep well anyway. Certainly don't fancy bkk at all so can I slum it in the airport and any tips?

Bangkok Flight services sell a lounge pass for 950baht. This will give you 3hr or 4hr  of food and drink and somewhere comfortable . It's a whopping 280baht a pint of local stuff at swampy so if you like a few beers a lounge pass is great value for money. 

https://www.bangkokflightservices.com/home/bfs-services/premium-airport-services/

I think its 48hrs in advance you have to book

After that head to end of terminals and find a comfy chair

Some of local cheap hotels do pick up too so you can avoid the taxis, dont count on them being punctual though 

Edited by ladada

1 minute ago, ladada said:

Bangkok Flight services sell a lounge pass for 950baht. This will give you 3hr or 4hr  of food and drink and somewhere comfortable . It's a whopping 280baht a pint of local stuff at swampy so if you like a few beers and lounge pass is great value for money. 

After that head to end of terminals and find a comfy chair

Some of local cheap hotels do pick up too so you can avoid the taxis, dont count on them being punctual though 

Thanks for that info I'll check that out.

Not much, then.

I have slummed it there for up to 10 hours loads of times. Firstly, don't be in too much of a hurry to clear immigration and security - Actually you can't as check in / baggage drop won't open until 3/4 hours before flight time. Who are you flying with, by the way?

Refreshments wise, there is a Family Mart on the far right of the Check in hall. If you want a meal but don't fancy paying the eye - watering prices at any of the restaurants on the level between Departures and Arrivals, there is a food court on the Taxi level, again at the far right of the building.

The lounge pass is not a bad idea too for a bite to eat and decent WiFi, but if the lounge ladada was talking about is the Air France / KLM, bear in mind there is nowhere inside where you can lie down flat.

10 hours is a fair old wait, but avoid watching the clock and the time does pass...

21 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

If you can get airside there's some full length lay out almost sleeping beds/chairs close to the departure gates, actually very comfortable.

I seen them but getting into that is really only the last leg of the 10 hours. Look lovely.

9 minutes ago, baboon said:

Not much, then.

I have slummed it there for up to 10 hours loads of times. Firstly, don't be in too much of a hurry to clear immigration and security - Actually you can't as check in / baggage drop won't open until 3/4 hours before flight time. Who are you flying with, by the way?

Refreshments wise, there is a Family Mart on the far right of the Check in hall. If you want a meal but don't fancy paying the eye - watering prices at any of the restaurants on the level between Departures and Arrivals, there is a food court on the Taxi level, again at the far right of the building.

The lounge pass is not a bad idea too for a bite to eat and decent WiFi, but if the lounge ladada was talking about is the Air France / KLM, bear in mind there is nowhere inside where you can lie down flat.

10 hours is a fair old wait, but avoid watching the clock and the time does pass...

Sad to say the one thing I am looking forward to is a couple of double cheese burgers. 

Burger King when you get airside will be more or less the only choice you will have, off the top of my head. I suppose you will just have to manage on Pringles and stuff in the meantime. 

I presume you have a Kindle / tablet loaded with movies...?

There is an inhouse airport "hotel", where you can get your own room with a bathroom, shower, TV and bed. Not much on TV though, but I had arrived early one morning to find my flight delayed by four hours, so rented one and went back to sleep for a few hours, had a shower and then went to the lounge.

Being a mickey mouser it might be out of your price range though.

https://www.bkkairporthotel.com/bangkok-airport-transit-hotel-louis-tavern-dayrooms/

I think they do it in blocks of four or six hours.

Edited by Chicog

1 hour ago, Chicog said:

There is an inhouse airport "hotel", where you can get your own room with a bathroom, shower, TV and bed. Not much on TV though, but I had arrived early one morning to find my flight delayed by four hours, so rented one and went back to sleep for a few hours, had a shower and then went to the lounge.

Being a mickey mouser it might be out of your price range though.

https://www.bkkairporthotel.com/bangkok-airport-transit-hotel-louis-tavern-dayrooms/

I think they do it in blocks of four or six hours.

I'll keep it in mind cog. I did something similar in HK. Hotel attached to airport was very convenient but I admit I have become somewhat stingy of late and tired of paying over the odds to people who do not deserve it and 10 hours is nothing really.

Novotel on the other side of the parking garage; about 5 minute walk from the terminal building. Comfortable rooms, good restaurants, swimming pool, gym etc. About 5,000b for 24 hours (check in anytime; checkout 24 hours later).

36 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

I'll keep it in mind cog. I did something similar in HK. Hotel attached to airport was very convenient but I admit I have become somewhat stingy of late and tired of paying over the odds to people who do not deserve it and 10 hours is nothing really.

10 hours hanging around any airport would do my head in.

Especially overnight.

51 minutes ago, Chicog said:

10 hours hanging around any airport would do my head in.

Especially overnight.

I never done it before but I got stuff to be cracking on with so I'll be busy. Not all on the sauce 247 you see.

If you like reading just take a good book and hunker down. Ten hours at Swampy is not so bad.

I once had to spend 12 hours at Moscow airport waiting for an Aeroflot connection. That was hell. Absolutely nothing there except a bookshop selling works of Lenin.

Only airport I've ever been to where you could literally hear a pin drop.

12 minutes ago, Denim said:

If you like reading just take a good book and hunker down. Ten hours at Swampy is not so bad.

I once had to spend 12 hours at Moscow airport waiting for an Aeroflot connection. That was hell. Absolutely nothing there except a bookshop selling works of Lenin.

Once stuck on the blinking plane after being food poisoned at some awful Spanish island airport. 5 hours on the plane doing nothing going nowhere with a bad case! I have a 3g dongle so all good 

3 hours ago, mjnaus said:

Novotel on the other side of the parking garage; about 5 minute walk from the terminal building. Comfortable rooms, good restaurants, swimming pool, gym etc. About 5,000b for 24 hours (check in anytime; checkout 24 hours later).

Absolutely ideal for 10 hours. Bravo 

10 hours ago, baboon said:

Not much, then.

Outside  near the car park on the ground  floor  on the  opposite side of the road is also a  small Family Mart  type  place thats even cheaper.........however I fly  Business class so head straight for the lounge so for the other I cant help  much although maybe a nearby el cheapo hotel would  suffice and arrive a day earlier 

4 hours ago, Denim said:

"Male international" 1989 corrugated iron toilet hut ( not working)  no air  con, before  mass tourism arrived was "interesting"

2 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

There are loads of decent and inexpensive hotels within five kilo's of the airport, most do pickup and return so for 2k baht you can get a decent sleep in a comfortable bed and shower plus breakfast.

The Thong Ta hotel is one such cheap alternative,

Less than 1,000 Baht for a comfortable superior room with complimentary transport.

Thong Ta or Great Residence are ok for a nap and go. Like a mile off airport grounds and a 1/10 the cost of Novotel. Have done the sit on airport thing. Meet some nice people but it strings pn forever.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, Martyjustice said:

Thong Ta or Great Residence are ok for a nap and go. Like a mile off airport grounds and a 1/10 the cost of Novotel. Have done the sit on airport thing. Meet some nice people but it strings pn forever.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I stayed at Thong ta too. Cheap and convenient.

Well it's 6am and I been here (suvarnabhumi) since 10pm and I gotta say it was not bad at all. Gate opens shortly so a quick bite and I'm away.

I noted a place called miracle suite, that floor that side is pretty dead at all hours. Well it was today so a good spot in future perhaps.

"Male international" 1989 corrugated iron toilet hut ( not working)  no air  con, before  mass tourism arrived was "interesting"

Beats me, 12 hours stuck in the lounge at Karachi airport... There's supposed to be booze in the lounge

But my favourite is a guy who worked for me got refused entry into Pakistan (messed up visa) so got sent back to Dubai where he sat in the lounge for 24 hours while we sorted his visa out, looking at the food & drink not knowing it was all complementary.

Some great tips on airport hotels, very useful to know as can often get much cheaper Business class flights BKK-MAN-SIN so worth the messing around.

41 minutes ago, JB300 said:

Beats me, 12 hours stuck in the lounge at Karachi airport... There's supposed to be booze in the lounge

But my favourite is a guy who worked for me got refused entry into Pakistan (messed up visa) so got sent back to Dubai where he sat in the lounge for 24 hours while we sorted his visa out, looking at the food & drink not knowing it was all complementary.

Some great tips on airport hotels, very useful to know as can often get much cheaper Business class flights BKK-MAN-SIN so worth the messing around.

Actually I noted something at KK might be old news maybe even a one off but after you go through security in the waiting lounge they had comp cakes  coffee and juice. I ate a few cakes.

5 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

I stayed at Thong ta too. Cheap and convenient.

Well it's 6am and I been here (suvarnabhumi) since 10pm and I gotta say it was not bad at all. Gate opens shortly so a quick bite and I'm away.

I noted a place called miracle suite, that floor that side is pretty dead at all hours. Well it was today so a good spot in future perhaps.

Even though it won't help you as you r already on your way to Europe now, I still want to post this as it may help others in a similar situation.

On a schedule same as yours, it would make a lot of sense to stay at the NASAVEGAS Hotel, right opposite the RAMKHAMHAENG station of the Airport Express. the room rate is usually less than most of those Airport Hotels, plus the transport options are more reliable than the shuttle Buses (that may run on a schedule but sometimes not when you need it most) of those small Hotels / apartments near Suvarnabhumi. Just make sure to check if the last or first train to / from Swampy does allow you to make your connection. It is just 12 minutes to/from Swampy using the Airport Rail Link at RAMKHAMHAENG