Sym scooters

• 5 months later...

Did you ever get a reply to this as I will be moving to the Buri Ram area soon and Im interested in Sym scooters myself, did you try any bike dealers in the area, I have a PCX on order for when I get there it will be the daily ride and looking for a bigger touring scooter and the guy Im buying from has a few different makes so I will try him. I like to buy local not only for service but to keep the money go round my local area.

Thailand is not really strong with replying emails, it's a country thing and not even only for automotive business... I would suggest calling them, maybe you have to call 3 or 4 times before you get somebody who speaks enough English to be meaningful. By the way, calling is the Thai standard, for example most motorcycle manufacturers have so called hotlines for customers... but only a few publish email addresses... Also if you send a email to a address like [email protected] it's very unlikely that anybody from sales or PR have ever seen it...

Sym is not a bad scooter either. You get a lot of bang for your buck but unfortunately resale value ain't great.

Baht sold, and even TV classifieds pop up some good sales of the Sym every now and then.

My neighbour sold his Sym 400i about a year ago for just 100k  if I'd known about it I would have been in like a robbers dog.  When I found out and asked why he sold it he just said he wanted the latest 500cc or 530cc version.

He's one of those people that want the latest although there is nothing wrong with what they have got.... works out fine for the buyers!

Good luck on your searches/hunt

21 hours ago, CMKiwi said:

Sym is not a bad scooter either. You get a lot of bang for your buck but unfortunately resale value ain't great.....

+ 1 :thumbsup:

I have been looking at the 300s. The newly released CruiSYM 300 looks nice especially with its modern new dash, but even before this model, the SYM 300s looked luxurious and came standard with ceramic coated cylinder walls, steel-braided brake hoses, tall windscreen, LED lights and folding mirrors!

If only they would add 15" front and 14" rear wheels!

On 25/07/2017 at 7:06 PM, CMKiwi said:

Sym is not a bad scooter either. You get a lot of bang for your buck but unfortunately resale value ain't great.

Baht sold, and even TV classifieds pop up some good sales of the Sym every now and then.

My neighbour sold his Sym 400i about a year ago for just 100k  if I'd known about it I would have been in like a robbers dog.  When I found out and asked why he sold it he just said he wanted the latest 500cc or 530cc version.

He's one of those people that want the latest although there is nothing wrong with what they have got.... works out fine for the buyers!

That's maybe not that cheap, a mate of mine bought a Honda Forza 300, Immac, 2 years old with only a couple of thousand kms for 87k. He bought a Givvy box and now it has the storage space of a small car, still his wife still manages to fill it.

Nice comfortable bikes, but beware, they do get blown around in the wind, I guess the same for the Sym.

Fair point....but the Sym I referred to was the 400cc version. I'm not too impressed with the pregnant PCX, normally known as the Forza.

It just looks too bloated and heavy. Whereas the Sym 400i appears more solid.

The previous owner of the Sym said it handled very well. He tried a Forza and said his preference in all aspects was to stay with the Sym.  He brought the bike from new.

The problem with the Honda Forza 300 is that the current model will be getting a major engine rework (and likely some other tweaks and styling updates). With that the resell value of a “old” model with an old engine will sharply drop on the secondhand price.

The reason for this engine upgrade is that the current Honda Forza 300 is not EURO4 complainant, which means that from 1 January 2018 it cannot be sold in Europe. In some states in the US it’s for exhaust emission reasons already not available.

The current Sym Maxsym 400 and the Sym GTS 300 ABS are both able to pass the EURO4 standard.

Edited by Richard-BKK

9 hours ago, Richard-BKK said:

The problem with the Honda Forza 300 is that the current model will be getting a major engine rework (and likely some other tweaks and styling updates). With that the resell value of a “old” model with an old engine will sharply drop on the secondhand price.

The reason for this engine upgrade is that the current Honda Forza 300 is not EURO4 complainant, which means that from 1 January 2018 it cannot be sold in Europe. In some states in the US it’s for exhaust emission reasons already not available.

The current Sym Maxsym 400 and the Sym GTS 300 ABS are both able to pass the EURO4 standard.

Thanks Richard-Bkk: Finally, a technical explanation that explains what has been going on with the Forza 300 (and hopefully what to look forward to for the PCX 150?)! 

Before your posting, I had not been able to locate any info at all on this subject and in light of Yamaha's strong model challenges in these 2 scooter classes, I could only hope that Honda would release model updates in the next model year.

It will be interesting to see whether Honda continues to emphasize its smooth, 'Cruising-comfort luxury' riding theme in the updated model releases that gave it its world renown leadership in these two classes of scooters vs Yamaha's more overall 'Sporty-responsive' model emphasis.

The 400 class is definitely in a league of its own, IMO, when comparing to current 300's.

On 7/26/2017 at 1:06 AM, CMKiwi said:

This reminds me of an old story

I sold a ninja 650 for a 140k and after a few days my farang neighbor noticed it was gone and asked me what happened it? 

I told him I sold it to some guy and when he heard the price he said <deleted>! You should have told me, I would have taken it for that price! 

Edited by metisdead
8) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.