Toyota Alphard (S/H) or Kia Grand Carnival (New)

BBJ

Any owners of the mentioned vehicles?  

I'm looking for opinions on both if possible as I will need to purchase one in the coming few months.  Our M/L and F/L who are now wheelchair bound will be joining us soon.  Our present Accord just doesn't have enough space.

These are the only two cars we are interested in.  We've checked other options from Honda and the Hyundia which we don't like.  We like the KIA but the lack of dealers is off-putting.  Having said that, where we live in Min Buri I have noticed a growing number of them on the road.

Our budget is 2mil for a new KIA or second hand Alphard.  I guess the cost of repairs to an Alphard won't be cheap either, so if there are any KIA owners that can share their opinion of the Carnival, it would be appreciated.

We owned a Hyundai H-1 which was very convenient but lacked some features. The current H-1 is better equipped now.

Today I will pull choose the Kia because it is more car-like and with better safety options. But the dealership is also very limited. But normally we only went to the dealer once a year for the annual service.

Personally I don't like the Alphard. There are overpriced for what they offer. You have also consider, that the Kia has a fuel-economic modern Diesel engine and the Alphard an outdated fuel consuming gasoline engine.

I also assume, that the Kia has a better safety package than the older Alphard (only 2 airbags?).

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

We are swayed to the KIA, and i do prefer the look of it, as dies the wife.  

I guess taking all the positives of the KIA should be a no brainer.  We are not brand loyal, just need something safe and practical for 5/6 people.

A few years ago  I looked at the Kia Carnival.  It was available with some special accessibility options...wider door.  Power seats to lift people into the car etc.  It may be worth talking to the dealer about what is needed for you.

1 hour ago, harrry said:

A few years ago  I looked at the Kia Carnival.  It was available with some special accessibility options...wider door.  Power seats to lift people into the car etc.  It may be worth talking to the dealer about what is needed for you.

Cheers,  the place we recently purchased wheelchairs also do the mods for both vehicles.

Why not consider a toyota van.

Parts cheap and service available.  Repairs cheap.  reliable.

Conversions for accessibility are available off the shelf in the form of a hydraulic wheelchair lift (safeway in chonbury).

I have a vigo which has a wheelchair hoist but I wish I had bought the van. 

Edited by harrry

16 hours ago, harrry said:

Why not consider a toyota van.

Parts cheap and service available.  Repairs cheap.  reliable.

Conversions for accessibility are available off the shelf in the form of a hydraulic wheelchair lift (safeway in chonbury).

I have a vigo which has a wheelchair hoist but I wish I had bought the van. 

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm looking at stuff less commercial.  The KIA fits what we need so we are sold on that for now.  But thanks.

On 2/19/2017 at 3:59 PM, juehoe said:

We owned a Hyundai H-1 which was very convenient but lacked some features. The current H-1 is better equipped now.

Today I will pull choose the Kia because it is more car-like and with better safety options. But the dealership is also very limited. But normally we only went to the dealer once a year for the annual service.

Personally I don't like the Alphard. There are overpriced for what they offer. You have also consider, that the Kia has a fuel-economic modern Diesel engine and the Alphard an outdated fuel consuming gasoline engine.

I also assume, that the Kia has a better safety package than the older Alphard (only 2 airbags?).

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I have also looked at the Kia for my somewhat large family, but unfortunately while it does come with curtain airbags in other countries the model here only has two airbags. Not sure if this is due to the re-engineering for the 11 seats or just cost cutting, but it has been enough to so far keep me from buying it as a family vehicle. Like it alot otherwise.

I have also looked at the Kia for my somewhat large family, but unfortunately while it does come with curtain airbags in other countries the model here only has two airbags. Not sure if this is due to the re-engineering for the 11 seats or just cost cutting, but it has been enough to so far keep me from buying it as a family vehicle. Like it alot otherwise.

Thanks for the update about the airbags. I had the impression, that the Kia has more airbags in Thailand, too.

Hoping they will introduce it in the next update. The Thai markets seems to be willing to pay more for safety features and Kia has to follow. Otherwise, this is unfortunately a no-go...

18 minutes ago, juehoe said:

Thanks for the update about the airbags. I had the impression, that the Kia has more airbags in Thailand, too.

Hoping they will introduce it in the next update. The Thai markets seems to be willing to pay more for safety features and Kia has to follow. Otherwise, this is unfortunately a no-go...

I have had this discussion with them a few times and have asked if they plan to introduce a model with curtain airbags, sadly with no positive response. I have told them that if it had a full set of airbags I would buy the vehicle as it is ideal for a large family otherwise, but I am not happy to fill it full of kids without the safety features.

• 1 month later...

What a coincidence!

We haven't had much look in finding a dealer for the KIA other than a place at Rama 9.

Two weeks ago our neighbour parked a brand new KIA outside, so I asked the wife to ask where he bought it as we are looking for one.  Turns out he owns a dealership on Rama Inthra!  So after a chat, test drive, and neighborly discount ++, we ordered a black one.

We nearly backed out as a dealer listed on the net had closed, and the one we found near Rama 5 looked shabby.

It feels and drives much better than I expected.  Plenty of poke.

Regarding airbags.  Accordingly to the previous dealer and our neighbour, this model won't be updated for at least 4+ years.

Edited by BBJ

On 3/27/2017 at 9:04 AM, BBJ said:

What a coincidence!

We haven't had much look in finding a dealer for the KIA other than a place at Rama 9.

Two weeks ago our neighbour parked a brand new KIA outside, so I asked the wife to ask where he bought it as we are looking for one.  Turns out he owns a dealership on Rama Inthra!  So after a chat, test drive, and neighborly discount ++, we ordered a black one.

We nearly backed out as a dealer listed on the net had closed, and the one we found near Rama 5 looked shabby.

It feels and drives much better than I expected.  Plenty of poke.

Regarding airbags.  Accordingly to the previous dealer and our neighbour, this model won't be updated for at least 4+ years.

All the best for your purchase and hope that it works out well for you. My kids are still pushing for the Kia but I am resisting only due to the airbags. Great family car otherwise and trust that it serves you well.