Info Request

Was born in Thailand, look Thai, guess I still would qualify as a Thai citizen.. am a US citizen thinking about moving to Thailand. Currently a Director of Software Development with 6 figure income. My question is, if I"m to send out resumes, what companies should I focus on that have large presence in Thailand. Note: was once fluent in the Thai language, but can now just about only order a bowl of noodle soup and papaya salad at my favorite Thai restaruant here in Atlanta. I think I may be time to move to some different scenery.

Thank you in advance.

Edited by tabnscroll

"Was born in Thailand, look Thai, guess I still would qualify as a Thai citizen"

You "guess"? Just how serious are you about working in Thailand? Perhaps you should know who you are, and not just "guess".

"Currently a Director of Software Development with 6 figure income."

Is that what you want to do, and is that income your true expectation? Or, are you guessing?

"should I focus on that have large presence in Thailand"

I think I know what you're trying to say, but I'm just guessing.

"I think I may be time to move to some different scenery."

A perfect reason for moving to Bangkok.

"Was born in Thailand, look Thai, guess I still would qualify as a Thai citizen"

You "guess"? Just how serious are you about working in Thailand? Perhaps you should know who you are, and not just "guess".

"Currently a Director of Software Development with 6 figure income."

Is that what you want to do, and is that income your true expectation? Or, are you guessing?

"should I focus on that have large presence in Thailand"

I think I know what you're trying to say, but I'm just guessing.

"I think I may be time to move to some different scenery."

A perfect reason for moving to Bangkok.

Wow, tough crowd. But thank your for input. Did some research not too long ago, I believe, that once a Thai citizen, always a Thai citizen. I chose the word "guess" as I can't emperically prove that until I actually go to an embassy and do what's needed to be done. Phew. Ok, next remark.

As per the current job, it's what I do and it's my current salary. I stated that, as software development is my skillset. I would imagine that would be my best and first strength to go with in looking for a new position. I'm looking for Corporations not Thailand based with offices there, example SAP, SAS.

Your question did get me to thinking though, I would be a Thai who became an American citizen going back to Thailand.

And on the "know who you are" remark, that's deep, and I'm unprepared introspectively to provide a Cartesian Dynamics thesis explaining my preception of my being. Though, rereading my original post, it seems you questioned everything except the purpose of the post, the question itself. I'm not sure I can rephrase it any better to avoid ambiguity.

Edited by tabnscroll

Yeah, tough crowd. You are someone that Thailand needs badly. Experienced in IT, fluent English. Let the brain drain reverse itself.

Clearly, go with a head hunter. Addeco and others. You should have no problem finding a good paying job. Your lack of Thai is a negative. Brush up on it. You will not get a 6 figure income here, in USD, but you will in Baht and that is a good salary here. It will be difficult to find a good job on your own with your qualifications.

You did not mention whether or not you have visited here in the past. Good idea to do so if you have been gone for a looooong time.

Good luck.

Did some research not too long ago, I believe, that once a Thai citizen, always a Thai citizen.

Then I hope you've fulfilled your compulsory military obligations.

thank you all for the info. Now here's something I've not even considered! I'll research this. Was a Ranger in US, but your comment certainly does pose an interesting situtation.

For example, if I go with the Thai citizenship to own land, then I may be facing a slew of issues..

interesting, very interesting.

Thank you all once again.

Since you are American you can own a 100% stake in a business (as opposed to other nationalites who can own 49% or less).

If you work here you can get a work permit. No need to try to get Thai citzenship.

As for land if you want to buy some there might be a few problems, do you have relatives here? They could help you with that.

I would second what another poster said, brush up on your Thai. If you can 't speak then you are just like every other farang.