Single Non O over 50 from UK

Interesting reply from an email to Thai consulate in Newport, South Wales... 

"

Good day,

As a Consulate we can only issue a Single Non-Immigrant ‘O’ visa on the following basis:

1.       Over 65 and drawing a pension

2.       Married to a Thai national.

IF you are not married to a Thai national then we cannot issue a Non-Immigrant ‘O’ here. Anybody aged between 50 – 64 and wishes to apply for an ‘O’ will need to speak to Thai Embassy in London."

Is this lost in translation? Does the applicant really need to contact London? I was of the understanding that applications could be made at any UK consulate and they would be forwarded to London for approval. Any personal experiences? Any advice on another consulate that could be used? 

Thank you. 

6 minutes ago, puchooay said:

Seems strange that someone cannot plan to come on an O and extend at immigration when they get here if they are not 65,seeing as the extension rule is 50.

What about locally? Vientiane still an option? 

Thanks. 

You can do a change of visa status at immigration to get a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry at some immigration offices. You have to have the financial proof needed to get the extension to apply other than the money does not need to be in the bank for 30 days.

Not sure about Vientiane at this time. There have been a couple reports of them insisting a medical certificate and police clearance is needed. If using a income letter or a combination of it and money in the bank your can get one Savannakhet. The income letter is to prove you are retired.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You can do a change of visa status at immigration to get a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry at some immigration offices. You have to have the financial proof needed to get the extension to apply other than the money does not need to be in the bank for 30 days.

Not sure about Vientiane at this time. There have been a couple reports of them insisting a medical certificate and police clearance is needed. If using a income letter or a combination of it and money in the bank your can get one Savannakhet. The income letter is to prove you are retired.

Thanks Joe. 

My friend is in Yasothon. I think Amnat Chareon is the immigration office. Anyone know if they will do the conversion? 

36 minutes ago, puchooay said:

My friend is in Yasothon. I think Amnat Chareon is the immigration office. Anyone know if they will do the conversion? 

No they don't. As far as I far as know there is no immigration office here in Isaan that can do it. He would have to make 2 trips to Bangkok 15 days apart to do the change.

If he had any income he could prove he could get a income letter from the embassy by mail and get the non-o in Savannakhet by showing it and money in the bank if the income alone was not enough.