Ford door latch safety issue

paul1970

My wife was driving her 2012 Fiesta today with my 8 year old daughter in the back when my daughter said that she thought the door was open. My wife stopped the car to check and sure enough the door had opened while she was driving and could no longer be latched shut.

I have had plenty of cars and have never experienced a car door that wouldn't latch shut after some googling I see that Ford in America have had to issue a safety recall for this very fault where a plastic pawl that hold the latching mechanism spring breaks and the door can no longer be shut.

All fine and well having a safety recall in the US but what about the rest of the countries Ford, is it only US lives that matter :sad: The Ford garage in Pattaya would only replace the broken latch which of course was not covered by Ford Thailand and was not stocked and would take a week before they could get another delivered, which means the car know has 3 doors that could develop the same issue at any time and a door tied kept shut with a bit of string thanks to Pattaya Ford.

Neither I or my wife will purchase another Ford in Thailand, the after sales service, in Pattaya at least, completely sucks.......anyone want to buy a second hand Fiesta :shock1:

DEARBORN, Mich., Sept. 8, 2016 – Ford Motor Company is expanding a previously announced safety recall regarding door latches to include approximately 1,500,000 additional vehicles at the request of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, bringing the total to 2,383,292 vehicles. Affected vehicles include 2013-15 Ford C-MAX and Ford Escape, 2012-15 Ford Focus, 2015 Ford Mustang and Lincoln MKC and 2014-16 Ford Transit Connect.

In the affected vehicles, the pawl spring tab in the side door latch could break. A door latch with a fractured pawl spring tab typically results in a “door-will-not-close” condition. A door that opens while driving increases the risk of injury.

Ford has identified one reported accident and three reported injuries that may be related to this issue.

There are 2,383,292 vehicles affected in this recall, including 2,046,297 in the United States and federalized territories, 233,034 in Canada and 61,363 in Mexico.

Dealers will replace side door latches at no cost to the customer.