Chiang Mai city transport: Uber or "Rot Daeng"? Thousands of Thais want change

rooster59

Swampy is what? 2 meters above salt water level... and Bangkok is south of swampy.... why are they adding more mass transit in Bangkok.... instead of getting Chiangmai ready?

it ain't gonna be the year 2100..... the Artic is gone in less than 10... Larsen C already has a big Larsen B.... 

it's like in the US.... the uneducated believe it's quiet on the Climate fight side because we have solved it with renewables.... which is nuts.  the reality is right there.  no one hides it.  it's too late for anything on the emissions side.... for Co2 as a GHG there is a 40 year lag between Co2 emissions and the biosphere effect... and we already have natural feedbacks kicking in (not just methane at all) that will dwarf what we did to set it off.. which has another 30 years to still play out in the accumulated man made GHG.

Bill Gates doesn't kid around on it... it's out there. he speaks plainly on it. "the way it maps out is mind blowing"..... if we can't find something that works to scale on negative emissions. even the politicians could see a year ago at COP21 and knew that had to sign onto...

Chiangmai needs to be prepared for major migrations. This is where the infra spending should be focused. Transportation, water and solar power.

Edited by maewang99

4 hours ago, Saladin said:

Farangs need to have more frequent reality checks. So many of you whinge about paying $2 for a trip that would cost you twenty times that amount back in your home country.

Yes you are right, some farangs need to take a reality check of where they are. We are talking about Thailand, not the USA. The average Thai does not earn 5, 6, $700 or more a week. The cost of things back home is entirely irrelevant.

On 06/03/2017 at 10:09 PM, elgordo38 said:

Yes at one time when giving them directions and watching their eyes roll and a puff of smoke come out of their ears it used to bother me. Even when showing them a map they would turn it upside down the right side up. If they wish to rob you fare wise they could be a little bit more professional about it. Now since I have a g/f I lurk in the shadows while she negotiates then when she waves I hop in the back of the red truck. 

Was just reading what you wrote and wondering how the heck are tourists supposed to learn how to deal with the primary transportation system in Chiang Mai - Songthaews? 

Uber is a blessing for tourism in Chiang Mai, so why would Government want to eliminate it? [Rhetorical question intended]

1 minute ago, bubba said:

Was just reading what you wrote and wondering how the heck are tourists supposed to learn how to deal with the primary transportation system in Chiang Mai - Songthaews? 

Uber is a blessing for tourism in Chiang Mai, so why would Government want to eliminate it? [Rhetorical question intended]

I am in the process of printing a how to sheet to defeat the red truck drivers. I will daily stand on the corner and pass them out just to show how dedicated I am. Why does the government want to eliminate it? If you have a beer and think about it (mafia) I am sure like lightening it will strike you. Feel free to consult me at any time I am here to please. 

This goes back quite a few years, but the first time I visited Chiang Mai, perhaps 1990, I recall there were buses even back then. They were yellow buses with Kodak advertising?

Whatever happened to those?

On 3/4/2017 at 10:42 AM, hansnl said:

Change to taxis is not a fantastic change, at all.

Some form of public transport controlled by local authorities is a  possible answer.

But please everyone, don't forget many people earn a living driving tuktuks, rotdaeng.

Criminals also earn a living from committing crimes.  Is that a reason to let them continue?  If the tuk tuk and rot daeng drivers offered a good service at a fair price, nobody would be trying to get rid of them.  I once considered moving to Chiang Mai but in the end declined to due to a total lack of reasonably priced public transportation.  I wonder how many other people have made the same decision - and I wonder how much this has cost the Chiang Mai economy - just for the benefit of a few greedy rot daeng drivers.

I have talked to some red drivers and I think a reason there are so many jalopies still on the road is because of the high price of the medalion or license for it.  I think the guy said he paid 200K for two years and 50K for the used truck with 600KM on it.  Was in an old Datsun and the guy had 819,000 on the clock...those backpackers thought they were real smart to get a discount on the trip to Doi Su Thep.  Reds been takinme from CMU to Pantip in rush hour for 30 THB so really can't beat that....I was recently reprimanded for drinking a Leo yai in the songtaew....I just chugged it, case closed....the 20 year old beauty from Rangsit, heading to Arcade, thought it was humorous and we had a nice chat.  So if you want to get some where...walk.  If you want to meet sexy young ladies...take Red (or Yellow).  If you want to get cheated, take a suksuk.

Downsides of red cars in no specific order: (compared to uber)

1. Sometimes refuse passengers.

2. Sometimes (often) try to overcharge.

3. Sometimes (often) drive long ways around to pick up or drop off other passengers.

4. Hard to explain destination sometimes, poor english, poor knowledge of how to use maps. (i know, i know, it's my fault for not speaking thai)

5. Spew out black smoke.

6. No safety belts.

7. Often drive extremely recklessly, changing lanes suddenly without signaling.

8. Illegally stopping near footpaths that have red and white lines. Basically ignoring most traffic laws and contributing to danger and to traffic jams.

9. Get dizzy by sitting sideways and having no front view (i get motion sick easy)

10. Have to breathe in exhaust fumes from other vehicles (makes motion sickness worse)

11. Not easy to find them in some areas, specially at night. 

I think nowadays if I wanted to use public tpt I'd use Uber too.  But the majority of the time I just jump on my bike.

Getting around town is easy enough but you do have to be very alert.... Red bus drivers are the worst, no indication, no road sense and they think they own the whole road.

Never had a problem with tuk tuk drivers but do know they over charge due to their perception that tourists want to ride in one.

Sure they are fun initially but once the novelty wears off they are a noisy smelly piece of dog do.  And it's not often you find noisy dog do!

16 hours ago, CMKiwi said:

I think nowadays if I wanted to use public tpt I'd use Uber too.  But the majority of the time I just jump on my bike.

Getting around town is easy enough but you do have to be very alert.... Red bus drivers are the worst, no indication, no road sense and they think they own the whole road.

Never had a problem with tuk tuk drivers but do know they over charge due to their perception that tourists want to ride in one.

Sure they are fun initially but once the novelty wears off they are a noisy smelly piece of dog do.  And it's not often you find noisy dog do!

What if it's super hot outside? What if you are not in condition to drive? Maybe drank a few beers? What if you are not an experienced motorbike driver? ... 

On 10/03/2017 at 4:59 PM, bubba said:

This goes back quite a few years, but the first time I visited Chiang Mai, perhaps 1990, I recall there were buses even back then. They were yellow buses with Kodak advertising?

Whatever happened to those?

All crashed

Some baiting and flaming posts also replies have been removed:

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.