Declare Or Nothing To Declare

donna15

Declare or nothing to declare that is the question coming on a one year B visa to work on some of my own projects and have cameras and computers and some music equipment so I can write songs . All the stuff inside is personal stuff used to write music and take pictures and videos but I would like to just walk right through the " nothing to declare exit " I guess with this many cases and the luggage looking the way it does I am afraid they may stop me and have a look inside . Then they will see some recording equipment microphones , speakers and cameras and tax it . Again it is my personal stuff and I hear you can just walk through the nothing to declare exit and try to chance it , but these cases looking the way they do and having 5 of them it may cause suspicion .. What do you think ?customsud3.jpg

Declare it!

If you are clearing customs in Chiangmai you might have a shot on walking through the No Declare line.

Bangkok, well read some of the posts in the Suvanbhumpi (sp?) forum. They seem to be really cracking down, so far on booze and cigarettes that we know of.......

I don't know if you get caught if they just tax you, they might seize your stuff, since you would be technically a smuggler.

Donna,

I just gave you an extreme case of what could happen......

Do you really want to deal with the hassle? Just type up an itemized list of everything in the cases (Make it precise) present it to customs. They being lazy will most likely just wave you through.......

Thai customs agents are generally pretty laid-back about travellers passing-thru the green line with normal looking luggage, seemingly almost no matter what the quantity. Any traveller carring belongings that are non-standard (e.g. boxes, shopping bags, carrying cases such as in your picture) is almost guaranteed to be stopped and questioned.

I read ovenman saying:

carrying cases such as in your picture) is almost guaranteed to be stopped and questioned.

which would be my opinion, as well.

Walk through red and tell them, all personal equipment incl. clothing, cameras etc.

The luggage looks too professional to walk through the green channel.

If it is all yours, is used and doesn't look new, you actually don't have anything to declare. If you are stopped, and you may be, tell them that you are a professional and these are your tools. If everything is new, they may think you are going to sell it and that would be a problem. I seriously doubt you will have any problems.

ovenman are you saying my stuff kooks OK to try and walk through the green line ... silver flight looking kind of stuff I would think will stick out compared to regular looking bags .

No, I am saying that you are guaranteed to get pulled over in the green lane with stuff that looks like yours. Even if the cases are all empty, customs will still want to take a peek.

two completely different camps here

camp 1.

which would be my opinion, as well.

Walk through red and tell them, all personal equipment incl. clothing, cameras etc.

The luggage looks too professional to walk through the green channel.

camp 2.
If it is all yours, is used and doesn't look new, you actually don't have anything to declare. If you are stopped, and you may be, tell them that you are a professional and these are your tools. If everything is new, they may think you are going to sell it and that would be a problem. I seriously doubt you will have any problems.

I agree with what you say, but let me give you a little story.

Started a project in Bermuda under a temporary work permit. Left for the USA for Christmas, while I was gone my permanent work permit came through.

When I came back through Immigration, I was flagged and went to a supervisors office where my passport was stamped with my NEW work permit no.

Went to customs, where they taxed me for my laptop and digital camera. Why, I asked, I had them with me when I left Bermuda?

Because I was arriving in Bermuda with items that could have been purchased there, I was not required to declare when I entered as a temp, but now that I was permanent I was required to declare. I explained the situation and it took more than 3 weeks to finbally get my Tax back from the government.

Donna, declare the stuff, spend a little time while you pack, write everything down then just give it to customs when you arrive.

Donna, declare the stuff, spend a little time while you pack, write everything down then just give it to customs when you arrive.

wont I need to pay tax on the stuff if I do it like that ? or if it is my persona stuff for work can I bring it with no tax , again I have a B visa to possible invest if I can find something to invest in . I just need to keep working on my music projects while in Bangkok and send the finished projects back to the US over the net so I have income while I am there . Are you saying if I write a list they will not open the cases and wave me through or will I then owe tax I am really confused . Thank all of you so much for the help I have had this equipment for years and it is not new I use it every day but it is a small fortune in electronic gear and it is all wired specifically for me . If something happens to it I can not work and if I loose it I will never be able to replace some of the things . The problem is I am coming on a very tight budget and need to save even on things like my ticket and cabs to get hit with a tax would wipe me out . Thanks this will be a useful thread for others as I looked for similar ones and really only found stuff about alcohol and cigarettes .

Edited by donna15

wont I need to pay tax on the stuff if I do it like that ? or if it is my persona stuff for work can I bring it with no tax , again I have a B visa to possible invest if I can find something to invest in . I just need to keep working on my music projects while in Bangkok and send the finished projects back to the US over the net so I have income while I am there . Are you saying if I write a list they will not open the cases and wave me through or will I then owe tax I am really confused . Thank all of you so much for the help I have had this equipment for years and it is not new I use it every day but it is a small fortune in electronic gear and it is all wired specifically for me . If something happens to it I can not work and if I loose it I will never be able to replace some of the things . The problem is I am coming on a very tight budget and need to save even on things like my ticket and cabs to get hit with a tax would wipe me out . Thanks this will be a useful thread for others as I looked for similar ones and really only found stuff about alcohol and cigarettes .

I am not an expert. But inasmuch as these are the tools of your trade and you have more than a Tourist Visa, there should be no problems and no taxes.

IF you were coming in with the luggage in the picture on a Tourist Visa, the first thing costums would think is that doesn't look like stuff a tourist would bring on vacation and they MIGHT tax you on it. Your coming here to work under a proper visa and these are the tools of your trade, shouldn't be a problem.

The itemization is just to verify that in fact these are the tools of your trade, they might open a few and verify for themselves, but again no problem.

thanks Diablo Bob I have a B visa to invest not a work visa but I need to keep working while here so I hope this works and going through that side does not give them any reason to charge tax ..

:o:D :D

???? so will I need to pay if I list the stuff I have ? I have the b visa for investment but I will be using the equipment for work II am doing in the states that I will be sending back over the internet so I have income while in Bangkok .

Donna,

Below please find an exerpt from the Thailand Customs rules:

1.3 A certain amount of used household effects accompanying a passenger because of residential movement will be exempted from Customs duties.

Used household effects such as television, radio, video, etc., will be exempted from Customs duties; however, passengers are required to declare these types of items to the Customs officer at the red channel by submitting a passenger declaration form (Form No. 211).

The full explanation can be found at:

http://www.thaiembdc.org/info/customs.html

The above is an exerpt which best explains your position, other exerpts pertain to Thai nationals and other catagories.

Declare it!

If you are clearing customs in Chiangmai you might have a shot on walking through the No Declare line.

Bangkok, well read some of the posts in the Suvanbhumpi (sp?) forum. They seem to be really cracking down, so far on booze and cigarettes that we know of.......

I don't know if you get caught if they just tax you, they might seize your stuff, since you would be technically a smuggler.

Strange, I've had just the opposite experience. Customs has never spoken a word to me at BKK after arriving dozens and dozens of times. In Chiang Mai however they wanted to search my bags.

In 5 years, I honestly can't remember seeing a customs agent on duty, seen lots of medical types though. But then again, I have never ever had my luggage checked in Bangkok! I don't declare anything, since all I have are my work clothes and if the want to impound them, great they can have them.

I haven't experienced the new terminal in Chiangmai, but will see what happens when I return home in 4 weeks. They might have become more aggressive like the new airport in Bangkok.

Donna15,

Those who live here have learned to expect the unexpected. In light of your tight shoestring budget and the importance of the equipment to your survival, I for one would consider having a contingency plan in place such as ready access to your 'investment' funds.

JMO. Best of luck on your new adventure.

Declare it!

Strange, I've had just the opposite experience. Customs has never spoken a word to me at BKK after arriving dozens and dozens of times. In Chiang Mai however they wanted to search my bags.

And the same for every time I have cleared customs in CM.Each time they have xrayed not only my bags,but every other bag that came in internationally.CM customs are not exactly worked off their feet either...

If you want to go through the green lane, claer customs in BKK..NOT Chiang Mai.

I would just walk through the 'nothing to declare' because you have nothing to declare. As long as none of it is brand new, or multiples of similar items. Plus you have a good reason to have the stuff and the correct visa etc.

This is not Nigeria. If you are not breaking customs regulations they cannot just confiscate it.

Plus although the luggage looks flashy, some first class passengers arrive with very similar stuff every day of the week.

Plus; if you walk through 'red'; it looks like you are admitting you 'might' be wrong, so they will think they have to do something.

Thai immigration is mind games. Insist you are within your rights, look presentable, smile, don't lose your temper, even if you are questioned just remain calm and confident.

Thai immigration is mind games. Insist you are within your rights, look presentable, smile, don't lose your temper, even if you are questioned just remain calm and confident.

thanks ... it is all used and it is all personal stuff , just wanted to not break any rules

thanks Diablo Bob I have a B visa to invest not a work visa but I need to keep working while here so I hope this works and going through that side does not give them any reason to charge tax ..

Donna, you gear looks too professional to be overlooked.

1 Declare it

2 Thai customs take particular interest in anything electical or electronic

3 Do not package it in any way that gives it the appearance it is any thing but second hand

4 As said make an inventory of it, state that you will be taking it all out of the Kingdom when you leave.

5 Have a little story prepared eg You are a musician and have been always fascinated by Thai Traditional Music and are here to listen learn and collaborate so that you can extend your knowledge of this wonderful heritage. A Thais patriotism has no boundaries.

6 Be financially prepared for a small fine, sometimes it is necessary so the customs guy shows the system he is doing his job.

Why do I suggest this? cos I came through Chiangmai in June with a normal suit case packed with a spare laptop, cordless drill and other tools to fix our house and a new 9 inch saw sitting in the polystyrene protection. No green or red declare or not lines that I saw me and a Thai both grabbed by customs, xrayed both had to open our bags, me fined 750Baht on accepted 2000Baht saw. All above board all very nice even got official receipt. I was happy as no comment on the extra tobacco, or the 60,000 Baht new laptop on my shoulder or the extra laptop in the bag.

now I am confused ??????? what is the law if I am bringing in my equipment to work wile I am there for a year why do I need to pay duty ?? what is the law nothing is new ... some speakers a computer some cameras ,nixing board software microphones all things I use for production , I must keep working while I am away I still have projects to send back so I have income while I am in Bangkok for a whole year .. all this back and forth what is the law ?? help !!!