Declare Or Nothing To Declare

donna15

now I am confused ??????? what is the law if I am bringing in my equipment to work wile I am there for a year why do I need to pay duty ?? what is the law nothing is new ... some speakers a computer some cameras ,nixing board software microphones all things I use for production , I must keep working while I am away I still have projects to send back so I have income while I am in Bangkok for a whole year .. all this back and forth what is the law ?? help !!!

well if you don't have a work permit you shouldn't be working anyway. As you can probably guess from the different views, the law and what actually happens at customs are two different things.

Go through the green and risk having your stuff taxed or confiscated, go through the red and risk the tax. Going through either you can either walk straight through or you can get hasseled. Welcome to the wonderful world of Thailand!

now I am confused ??????? what is the law if I am bringing in my equipment to work wile I am there for a year why do I need to pay duty ?? what is the law nothing is new ... some speakers a computer some cameras ,nixing board software microphones all things I use for production , I must keep working while I am away I still have projects to send back so I have income while I am in Bangkok for a whole year .. all this back and forth what is the law ?? help !!!

Donna15, please read my previous post again slowly and carefully.

Customs regulations in Thailand in general are no different on more harsh than in most Western Countries. If you tried to enter Australia with that much professional gear on a Tourist visa you would be unlikely to get the gear out of the Airport. The Customs would take it and put it into "Bond Store" you would then go to the Bond Store the next day and after suitable documentation and payment of a monetary guarantee get your gear to use while in the country, when you leave before going to immigration you would go to Customs where the inventory of "gear" would be checked and you money refunded in full. The reason for this process is YOU say the gear is for your exclusive use and YOU SAY the equipment will leave the country with you, BUT how can they (or any other Customs Officer) guarantee that.

But you are coming to Thailand where you do not speak Thai ( a bold assumption on my part ) and even though they try very hard their ability with english is limited. Also as I said previously they 'need to be seen to be doing their job' so POSSIBLY a small fine/token/tea-money, may be needed. I simply advise you not to be so limited in funds should this occur.

Finally I understand you frustration but after 20 years of experience here and in other Asian areas I offer you this advice NO Matter What In Your Opinion Goes Wrong DO NOT LOSE YOUR COOL. Anger is considered to be most unacceptable and will only make the situation WORSE

Customs issue aside, do you really need to bring your gears in RIMOWA cases? I don't think you can take them all into the cabin as "carry on", meaning you have to have at least the three cases to the right checked-in. RIMOWA is not as protective or durable a case as it looks (compared to Zero Halliburton or Pelican cases), not to mention what can happen to the contents inside. I wouldn't fancy these Porsche version RIMOWA cases treated as checked-in baggage even if they are empty (they look like they have never been used).

• 2 weeks later...