Melanoma /BPH / Dermatology / Dr. Anna

moonseeker

A reminder to check your skin for suspicious lesions, moles, not healing wounds etc. Most of us are at an age where not only our skin shows wear and tear. 

Many of us have had plenty of sun & outdoors, already during younger years. Even so I have been aware of the dangers and had some check-ups during younger

years, I got the shock of my life 2 years ago with a bad melanoma on my back and subsequent major medical stuff, that is still ongoing.

Dr. Anna, who treated me and did immediate surgery and started all necessary action, is certainly a big factor, that I am still around. She even delayed her vacation

to start move  my complicated case!

Melanoma is very aggressive, spreads very fast and kills within months once it got into your organs. The last 2 years I have sent a bunch of people for a skin-checkup

and 3 close friends had low to mid-grade melanomas.  All were removed successfully and they should be OK. There are other,  lower grade skin cancers, very common with 

old folks. I highly recommend to anybody with sun damaged skin or multiple moles etc. etc. to do a check-up. Dr. Anna is  a clinical/disease oriented dermatologist

with tons of experience and she CARES!!!. The cost for a potential life-saving check-up is about 1/5 - 1/10 of a similar one in the USA or let's say Switzerland or Downunder.

Say Hello from the grateful "Paraganglioma" .....No need to be shy or afraid, she makes the check-up an easy and fast matter and will inform you in detail how to 

proceed with anything she finds. Lower grade skin cancers often get removed the same day. I must have tried and done every possible method and I am still 

able to go out without a mask still. Got a load of scares from various cancer surgeries so :-) Don't let just any Dr. or surgeon cut out your cancer. Melanoma is a very difficult

matter and few Dr.'s here have much experience with it. Hopefully this post helps a few, not to get to the point that I arrived at 2 years ago. Please don't make this into another

cost discussing rant, reality is different.......I write this to help some people hopefully avoiding the big, life-changing word of CANCER!  Best of luck.  MS>

Great post / thread , Dr. Anna is pure gold and we are so lucky to have her . I had a Basel Cell cancer found two years ago and it took two procedures to get it off now I have Anna check me twice a year and she is keeping and eye on a few spots but very conservative and considerate about cutting things off and doing lab work unless she feels it needed and options to just watch at times so that saves you money . Get to see her if you have not been checked in a few years and then get yearly check up if you had much sun in your life or now [emoji120] thank you Dr. Anna

I just saw Dr Anna yesterday and she took two suspect samples for histology and removed another mole purely for my vanity.  I've done this routine with her two other times already, but so far only one has turned up as a cancer -- a relatively benign basal cell carcinoma.  A nice surprise has been that my BUPA policy -- without outpatient coverage -- has covered each visit fully.

The woman knows her stuff, her English is excellent, and she has a dry sense of humor, which just adds to the whole experience.  She never made me feel stupid when I asked questions.  She can "dumb down" the technical stuff pretty well.  Apparently she had a practice in California and dealt with plenty of skin cancer there. 

She will do a thorough visual exam of your entire body looking for telltale signs of any cancers and recommend the appropriate treatment.  I highly recommend *everybody* see her at least once for an exam.  Like the OP, I never knew I had skin cancer.  Unlike the OP, I was lucky that it was "only" a carcinoma.

The cost for today's appointment was B15,000 for taking two samples for histology and then lasering three blemishes from the skin.  That includes the histology costs and pharmacy stuff (antibiotic cream and bandages.)  In American money that's about $430.  I wonder how much that would have cost in America.

And.....This from a leading University dermatologist in Europe, who treated me last year. Keep using 50+ Sunblock, while it will not fix the damaged cells or heal melanoma , it will protect you and can possibly even heal low grade (basal cell carcinoma etc.) according to new studies. Good night & Good health.  MS>

• 8 months later...

Saw Dr Anna today. Full body check, some dermatological advice on skin reddening  around my ankles and removal of two basal/squamous cell carcinomas (waiting for biopsy results).

Excellent immediate service (booked appointment by telephone). Total cost was 14200B. Very reassuring, put my mind at rest.

She told me she sees three to four cases every day so DONT DELAY. Skin cancer is a killer.

ps I am 75 years old.

6 hours ago, Whitson said:

Saw Dr Anna today. Full body check, some dermatological advice on skin reddening  around my ankles and removal of two basal/squamous cell carcinomas (waiting for biopsy results).

Excellent immediate service (booked appointment by telephone). Total cost was 14200B. Very reassuring, put my mind at rest.

She told me she sees three to four cases every day so DONT DELAY. Skin cancer is a killer.

ps I am 75 years old.

Did you see her at Bangkok Hospital Pattaya? I thought I read elsewhere that she'd stopped working there.

Yes, indeed Dr Anna still works at BPH. However she only holds her clinic on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays.

You can boom an appointment by telephoning the hospital info desk.

A physical examination costs 1.5k. For me the biopsy on two specimens was 2.8k.

I guess there is cheaper around but I doubt better. Spotless treatment room, top notch equipment and very reassuring service.

I will be doing an annual body check from now on although I never sunbathe. 

I suppose skin suffers from age and general wear and tear. Thats life!