Shower heater

zlodnick

Recently, I've noticed I've had to turn the dial up on the water heater a little more each day just to maintain the same temperature.

I assume something is going on the blink inside.

The heaters are cheap, so I imagine it would make more sense just to buy a new one than to fix it?

Unless anyone has an idea for a quick fix?

Its possible the heater is getting "furred up" with limescale as this is a big problem in mzny areas.

As the pipes get narrower the heating is less effective leading you to turn up a little more.

What you can do is take it out and soak it in vinegar to reduce/remove the scale.

Just a suggestion/possible cause.

I had the same problem as the OP a few years back, so I went out and bought a new water heater, fitted it and (embarrassingly!) had exactly the same problem. The problem turned out to be the water! it was a lot colder than usual due to the "cold" weather! The water heaters will only heat up the water ~ 10 deg I read ... can't remember where?

I do have a perfectly good spare hot water heater laid around somewhere! :saai:

Edited by CGW

2 hours ago, CGW said:

I had the same problem as the OP a few years back, so I went out and bought a new water heater, fitted it and (embarrassingly!) had exactly the same problem. The problem turned out to be the water! it was a lot colder than usual due to the "cold" weather! The water heaters will only heat up the water ~ 10 deg I read ... can't remember where?

I do have a perfectly good spare hot water heater laid around somewhere! :saai:

yes the +10 deg is one of my favourite advices and its true, but this is normally only and issue in December/January when most people feel a significant drop in the general temperature.

mine was the same two month ago and I usually turn down the flow into the heater to allow the water more time over the heating element.

I have notice however in the last 2 weeks, the tempertures outside are notching up significantly and now my water is actually almost too hot.... so a reverse procedure is almost due.

if you problem is happening now, then i would suspect its on its last legs or the filter may be in need of a quick clean out. a filter with grit caught in it will cause the flow to be erratic and often cuase the heater not to switch on as its own safety measure.

Well, it's NOT hard to clean unless the surface is corroded.   If you have something that is not wasting away for other reasons, vinegar works but better are the "lime scale" products that do work almost instantly.  Put the chemical into the inlet tube, let sit for the while, and then flush out.  If lime scale the problem, that should solve it.