Making The Move

lissy

Hello all,

Well, I did it - I have accepted a job in Chiang Mai and will be moving to LOS in July. This is my first post and I don't even know where to begin. I expect I'll be ready for the initial isolation upon arriving but I'm wondering - I've read that Thai people are very friendly and helpful, what about other farang folk? Are there places I'll be able to meet friendly and helpful westerners? Clubs, groups, organizations? I'm posting on this forum because I'd like to hear from females who have made the move. Thanks ladies, see you soon!

Lissy

Welcome to the forum Lissy.

Actually I don't think you will find yourself isolated at all in Chiang Mai, it has a large expat population and I imagine plenty like yourself, coming to work. Thai people are very friendly, just remember that the ones you really need to watch out for are the ones who are too friendly and who call you 'my friend' :o . Just like anywhere, there are lots of scam artists and they usually target the new naive farangs. Take all relationships slowly, because as many here will attest, you have to beware sleazy foreigners too. I point out the negative first because I believe most people have problems here when they come in with too rosy a view of the place. It can be a lovely place to live with wonderful people, but, like Eden, you must beware the snakes as well.

Feel free to post away, the more positive contributive posts the better!

Thanks for the advice sbk,

I know I'll be wary at first but I'll feel it out. One phrase I've learned already is 'mai ow'. I don't think I'd describe my view as rosy right now - its clouded with the jaw dropping fact that I'm moving to the other side of the globe. I do tend to be niave, unfortunately, but the newness and strangeness will hopefully bring caution. It's going to be a very Alice in Wonderland experience at first.

Thanks for the advice and I'm sure I'll be back asking for more.