Marriage visa without NON-O from my country (possible?)

I read from multiple sources, that first I have to go back to my country, get NON-O 3 months visa, after arrival to Thailand I have to extend them for 1 year.

But last week I met some random guy at embassy and he told me, that if I get married, I don't have to go back to my country. That I can get this 1 year extension even at my multiple entry tourist visa. Which I didn't believe. So he told me, that if I don't want to do it this way, I can at least go to Laos and get NON-O visa there. But still - I read, that I have to get them from my own country.

So, can I get 1 years extension on tourist visa? Or can I get NON-O visa in Laos?

You can get a single entry non-o visa at any embassy or consulate and then extend the 90 day entry for one year based upon marriage at immigration. The non-o visa certainly does not have be issued in your home country.

Vientiane or Savannakhet Laos are both good locations to get a get the single entry non-o visa based upon marriage.

It is possible to do change of visa status to get a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry at a few immigration offices. You would need to show the financial proof and all the required documents needed for an extension based upon marriage. You could apply for the change at any time during the 60 day entry from your visa  up to the last 15 days of it or the 30 day extension of it. Then you could apply for the one year extension of stay during 30 days of the 90 day entry from the visa.

Where are you living now? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You can get a single entry non-o visa at any embassy or consulate and then extend the 90 day entry for one year based upon marriage at immigration. The non-o visa certainly does not have be issued in your home country.

Vientiane or Savannakhet Laos are both good locations to get a get the single entry non-o visa based upon marriage.

It is possible to do change of visa status to get a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry at a few immigration offices. You would need to show the financial proof and all the required documents needed for an extension based upon marriage. You could apply for the change at any time during the 60 day entry from your visa  up to the last 15 days of it or the 30 day extension of it. Then you could apply for the one year extension of stay during 30 days of the 90 day entry from the visa.

Where are you living now? 

Sakon Nakhon. But I have a big motocycle. So it's not a problem to travel to Bangkok etc.

Do I understand correctly?

1. I will go to Laos to get single entry O.
  2. I will change them into a 90 non immigrant visa.
  3. I will extend them for 1 year.

If so, which immigration offices can change their status?

12 minutes ago, howard ashoul said:

Sakon Nakhon. But I have a big motocycle. So it's not a problem to travel to Bangkok etc.

Howard you cannot extend your visa when it is finished you have to get a new one.

But you can extend your permission to stay on the grounds of being married to a Thai national or 

on the grounds of retirement provided you meet the required conditions in both cases.

It is NOT a visa it is an extension of your permission to stay.

You can continue to do this every year as long as you can meet the requirements at each application 

due time, no visa involved any more.

Despite many people using the term over and over again there is NO such thing as a marriage or

retirement VISA.

Edited by phuketjock
addition

21 minutes ago, howard ashoul said:

There is no office here in Isaan that can to do the change to a non immigrant visa. You would have to make two trips to Bangkok 15 days apart and your wife would have to be with you  for the first trip.

Much better to make the trip to the embassy in Vientiane or the consulate in Savannakhet to get the single entry non immigrant O visa (aka non-o). Apply the mourning of one day and pickup the next afternoon. No financial proof will be needed to apply for the visa.

The non-o visa will allow a 90 day entry that you can then extended for one year at Sakon Nakhon immigration office.

• Like 1