TRT Requests Withdrawal Of The CNS 15th & 27th Announcements

Jai Dee

TRT members request for a withdrawal of the CNS 15th and 27th announcements

Representatives of Thai Rak Thai members have submitted Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont a document requesting for a withdrawal of the 15th and 27th announcements of the Council for National Security (CNS).

TRT representatives led by Army Lieutenant Kuthep Saikrajang (กุเทพ ใสกระจ่าง) have traveled to the Government House to hand their request to the premier. The TRT group claimed that the two announcements are no longer needed and they also limit basic people’s rights.

However, Army Lieutenant Kuthep claimed that he would like to remind the CNS and the government who once used to promise that they will allow political parties to take part in drafting of the new Constitution.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 19 December 2006

TRT Party urges EC to hold a meeting for political parties

Thai Rak Thai Party acting leader Chaturon Chaisang handed a document to the Election Commission, requiring the commission take a leading role in arranging the meeting between different political parties.

Thai Rak Thai Party acting leader Chaturon Chaisang together with other leading party members such as Mr. Pongthep Thepkanjana and Mr. Vichit Plangsrisakul handed a document to Election Commissioner Sodsri Sattayatham yesterday (Dec 19). The document demanded the Election Commission (EC), as the political party registrar, to take a leading role in arranging the meeting between different political parties.

The meeting will provide the opportunity for the parties to propose their ideas regarding the Council for National Security’s (CNS) 15th and 27th announcements. The announcements prohibit any political gathering or activity. If the meeting has a resolution to abolish these regulations, the party would like the EC to submit the proposal to the government and the CNS.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 20 December 2006

Chart Thai praises Gen. Sonthi for his sincerity

Chart Thai Party leader Banharn Silpa-archa has praised Council for National Security (CNS) chairman Sonthi Boonyaratglin for showing sincerity to solve the national issues, while indicating that he has no suspicion on the spending of one billion baht to stage the coup on September 19th, 2006.

Mr. Banharn said it would not be necessary for the CNS to explain the details of such spending for political reform. He reasoned that it has been considered as normal since the previous times. He said he personally accepts the spending and views that Gen. Sonthi’s press conference to declare the accomplishments of his council during the last three months yesterday is an act of honesty to solve the national problems. At the same time, the government has worked with a clear policy and is abiding to the four principles of the CNS.

Mr. Banharn however does not want to discuss the case where the Thai Rak Thai Party has requested for the withdrawal of the 15th and 27th announcements of the CNS. He said his party is not troubled by the announcements.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 20 December 2006

Meeting in China is getting expensive. No wonder they want to rescind those regulations.

In October various TRT supporters considered important, ie ex-MPs, canvassers and DJs from Issan, were invited for a freebie in China, courtesy of a former premier.

And guess what! they're going on another trip, all expenses paid, to China again this month, just to make sure the boys stay loyal.

Still I suppose it's cheaper than a return trip to London, and the weather's about the same.

PM to discuss lift of CDR’s announcements with CNS

Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont revealed that he will discuss with the Council for National Security (CNS) the possibility of lifting the Council for Democratic Reform (CDR)’s 15th and 17th announcements, as suggested by Thai Rak Thai (TRT) Party.

Prime Minister Surayud TRT’s reasons for the lift of CDR’s announcements sound reasonable. As for the revocation of martial law, the premier said the government is keeping a close watch in some areas where martial law had been withdrawn to see whether there are still 'undercurrents' panning on movements in the areas.

TRT had earlier indicated that the lift of CDR’s 15th and 17th announcements will allow political parties to arrange political activities and afford participation in the drafting process of the new constitution.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 21 December 2006

Surayud awaits NSC's opinion as to whether political activities ban should be lifted

Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont said Thursday that he is awaiting an opinion of the National Security Council as to whether the ban on activities of political parties should be lifted.

Surayud said he has sought an opinion from the NSC after the Thai Rak Thai Party has petitioned the Election Commission for the lifting of the ban.

The ban is imposed by Announces No 15 and 27 of the coup makers.

Surayud indicated that there is a chance for the ban to be lifted.

"I believe we should allow political parties to hold meetings and carry out activities as preparations for political development," Surayud said.

Source: The Nation - 21 December 2006

It angers me that TRT has the face to exist and that people around the country still support them!

It is clear to all who can see through the facade that TRT is corrupt and basically a bunch of criminals, why can't this be seen by the people?? Are these same people who support TRT corrupt themselves so they have to protect their own interests?

Someone please explain this silly situation to me

Nikkijah :o

The Withdrawal of 15th and 27th CNS announcement to be tabled for discusssion soon

Council for National Security (CNS) Secretary Prakij Prajonpudjaneuk (ประกิจ ประจนปัจจนึก) said that the withdrawal of the 15th and 27th CNS announcment will be tabled in for discussion on December 29th.

Mr. Prakij said that Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont will preside over the CNS meeting on December 29th. He said that the meeting will focus on whether the withdrawal will affect political stability or not.

The meeting will start at 10.00 hours at the Government House.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 26 December 2006

Did the coup really cost B1 Billion!? I can't see it myself :D

:D With those eyes I can see why. You should think about it carefully and you just might understand spending and costs for such a coup. :D Can you see a tank, KM250 truck or M113 APC moving around without fuel? Food being distributed to troops along the roadsides? Water treated and passed around? Intel nationwide alone would be very expensive, don't you think? Army, Air Force, Navy and Police all together can be an expense mobilization. Not the regular scheduled program and budgets. :o

Cost free coup!?! Bloodless not costless.

:D

TRT can stick it. They had their chance and got too greedy. Dissolve the party ( TRT) and do the country another favor.

Edited by ilyushin

:D With those eyes I can see why. You should think about it carefully and you just might understand spending and costs for such a coup. :bah: Can you see a tank, KM250 truck or M113 APC moving around without fuel? Food being distributed to troops along the roadsides? Water treated and passed around? Intel nationwide alone would be very expensive, don't you think? Army, Air Force, Navy and Police all together can be an expense mobilization. Not the regular scheduled program and budgets. :o

:o

TRT can stick it. They had their chance and got too greedy. Dissolve the party ( TRT) and do the country another favor.

You should think about it carefully and you just might understand spending and costs for such a coup

This is obviously what I don't understand...

I understand that fuel costs money but aren't the army barracks near where the tanks are 'parked' all year round, just a few hundred metres from where most of them were station for the duration? Another thing, most of the duration the hummers and the troop carriers were at their check-points they didn't move for weeks

And isn't water - even treated water - dirt cheap here?

As far as communications are concerned, I wouldn't have any idea about the cost of that but doubt it would cost a lot :D

B1 Billion is approx. GBP14m or USD27m(according to www.xe.com currency converter) - that is a lot of money!!

Could it be possible that some of that B1 billion went elsewhere is my point :D

An explanation of the costs would be helpful for me to understand where all that money went to...

Nikkijah :bah:

Edited by Nikkijah

I highly doubt they' re having their turn at the trough.

I suppose you mean the new administration Tony? I hoped that too but there must have been quite a few people involved in the coup and to hope that they were all squeaky clean as well is hoping for a lot isn't it?...

maybe I didn't detect your sarcasm? :o

Nikkijah :D

Interior Minister remain silent re withdrawal of 15th and 27th CNS announcements

Minister of Interior Aree Wongareeya (อารีย์ วงศ์อารยะ), declined to disclose on whether or not the withdrawal of 15th and 27th announcements of the Council for National Security (CNS) will be tabled in the CNS meeting today.

In regards to the CNS meeting today, Mr. Aree said that the discussion will focus on ways to resume peace in the southern region and the country, adding that the meeting will set a framework on various responsibilities of the work.

As for Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont’s land purchase at Khao Yai Teang (เขายายเที่ยง) in Nakhon Ratchasrima (นครราชสีมา), Mr. Aree declined to give comments.

In occasion of New Year, high-ranking interior officials and officers have given New Year’s gift to Mr. Aree.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 29 December 2006

The 15th and 27th CNS announcements are not revoked

The Council for National Security (CNS) has decided to hold on to the 15th and the 27th CNS announcements.

After the CNS meeting at the Government House yesterday, Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont announced to hold on to the 15th and 27th announcements protectively, to prevent the possibility of interference of political parties in the judicial process.

Mr. Prakit Prachonpajchaneuk (ประกิต ประจนต์ปัจจนึก), CNS Secretary General, said political parties are allowed to express their views over the drafting of new Constitution despite keeping the 15th and the 27th CNS announcements.

The CNS meeting is looking into long term security measures along the border, aiming to lessen the number of illegal immigrants and lower crime rates along the border.

The premier, however, informed that the meeting did not touch upon ex-PM Thaksin Shinawatra's case.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 30 December 2006

:D With those eyes I can see why. You should think about it carefully and you just might understand spending and costs for such a coup. :bah: Can you see a tank, KM250 truck or M113 APC moving around without fuel? Food being distributed to troops along the roadsides? Water treated and passed around? Intel nationwide alone would be very expensive, don't you think? Army, Air Force, Navy and Police all together can be an expense mobilization. Not the regular scheduled program and budgets. :o

:o

You should think about it carefully and you just might understand spending and costs for such a coup
This is obviously what I don't understand...

I understand that fuel costs money but aren't the army barracks near where the tanks are 'parked' all year round, just a few hundred metres from where most of them were station for the duration? Another thing, most of the duration the hummers and the troop carriers were at their check-points they didn't move for weeks

And isn't water - even treated water - dirt cheap here?

As far as communications are concerned, I wouldn't have any idea about the cost of that but doubt it would cost a lot :D

B1 Billion is approx. GBP14m or USD27m(according to www.xe.com currency converter) - that is a lot of money!!

Could it be possible that some of that B1 billion went elsewhere is my point :D

An explanation of the costs would be helpful for me to understand where all that money went to...

Nikkijah :bah:

I to, if I controlled the cheque book would question the costs.

The troops the communications the fuel the support etc had been already funded in that years 'military' budget allocations. As is necessary this allocation includes funds for military tactical exercises to maintain the skills of the military forces. To me this was just another planned exercise, from a usage of physical resources point of view, albiet a very sensitive and political one.

There were no 'mercenaries' imported to effect the mission or the like which would blow the budget out to this extent.

Ban on politics continues; Thaksin return not on CNS agenda

BANGKOK, Dec 30 (TNA) - Political discourse overall, and the status of Thailand's two major political forces in particular -- the Thai Rak Thai Party of deposed premier Thaksin Shinawatra and the former opposition Democrat Party -- remains in limbo as the Constitutional Tribunal charged with the task of considering their dissolution has not yet delivered a verdict.

According to the spokesman of the September coup-makers, the bans of political activity cannot be lifted until the issue is resolved.

The Council for National Security (CNS) which met on Friday did not discuss the lifting of bans prohibiting political parties from conducting activities nor did it talk about whether to allow ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra to return to Thailand, Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont said.

The premier said that the CNS -- the council of military officers who led the Septmber 19 coup d'etat -- did not consider withdrawing Announcements No. 15 and 27 imposed afterward to ban political parties from conducting political activities.

Gen. Surayud also noted that the council did not discuss whether to allow Mr. Thaksin to come back to Thailand to defend himself against corruption charges of which the Assets Examination Committee (AEC) found him guilty, as it was not on the meeting agenda.

CNS secretary-general Prakit Prachonpachanuk refused to be drawn into the debate as to why the deposed prime minister's request to return to Thailand was not included in the agenda, simply saying that he had no comment.

Earlier this week, Mr. Thaksin's legal advisor Noppadol Patama said that the ousted premier would like to come back to Thailand to defend himself on charges including the Ratchadaphisek land deal and the CTX bomb scanner purchase scandal.

Mr. Prakit also defended the CNS decision to retain the coup makers' Announcements No. 15 and 27.

It was earlier expected that these issues would have been addressed at the meeting. The CNS secretary-general said that despite the restrictions, political parties were able to contribute to the drafting of a new constitution.

Earlier, a group of Thai Rak Thai members had called for the lifting of the two orders, claiming they restricted their ability to contribute input to the charter writing process.

He also said it would be improper to lift the bans while the Constitutional Tribunal is still deliberating the dissolution of political parties.

How long the orders would remain in force would depend on when the tribunal delivered its verdict, he said.

Source: TNA - 30 December 2006