Buying Cars in Issan

riclag

23 hours ago, Lamkyong said:

why do you desire to avoid the Thai driving test   if somchai can pass surely   you can  unless you are a worse driver than the average Thai driver i find that hard to believe

but their again i dont know your driving ability

Converting an existing falang dl into a Thai one is real easy.  No written or verbal tests.  Just visual, colour blindness and reaction tests.  Real easy.  Motor licencing in Chiang Wattana do it plus most big regional centres.  Google the requirements. 

Converting an existing falang dl into a Thai one is real easy.  No written or verbal tests.  Just visual, colour blindness and reaction tests.  Real easy.  Motor licencing in Chiang Wattana do it plus most big regional centres.  Google the requirements. 

I believe your supposed to sit (snooze) through an hour long video too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

54 minutes ago, johng said:

Some of the questions/answers on theory test don't make any sense in English or Tinglish...they might make sense in Thai but whoever translated
got some of it wrong...any and everyone reading in English will have some degree of difficulty with some of the questions.

If you go the Thai way and put one grand under the test sheet when you hand it in, they'll be more than happy to give you the right answers, or somebody will fill them out for you. C'Mon, it's Thailand. 

31 minutes ago, DILLIGAD said:

It depends on if you apply for a new license or an extension from the one to the five-year license.

When you're going for the five-year permit, you must do some very funny color and reaction tests where nobody can fail.( Copied from the educational system)

Departments in areas with a lot of foreigners, for example, Chonburi ( Pattaya) have the movie in English where they show the dangers on Thailand's roads, but in smaller provinces, it's okay to sleep an hour while "you're watching the Thai version" of it.

When the lady at the end of the movie wakes you up and asks you: "Khun Kau Tchai, na ka" just say "Phom'Cham kau tchai took sing took Yang". na khrap. And a big smile will be on her face and she might ask you if you're single......

You can fail each color or reaction test ten times and then make it on the 11th try. It's easier than making papaya salad, believe me. 

Edited by ajarngreg

1 hour ago, johng said:

Some of the questions/answers on theory test don't make any sense in English or Tinglish...they might make sense in Thai but whoever translated
got some of it wrong...any and everyone reading in English will have some degree of difficulty with some of the questions.

Anyone from an English speaking country who fails this test, shouldn't be allowed to drive in LOS. 

I passed my UK driving test first try....took me 3 attempts to pass the Thai (tinglish) theory test...but I'm not an arjarn so obviously not skilled in the fine nuances of mangled English /tinglish.

1 hour ago, johng said:

I passed my UK driving test first try....took me 3 attempts to pass the Thai (tinglish) theory test...but I'm not an arjarn so obviously not skilled in the fine nuances of mangled English /tinglish.

When I made my license a couple of moons back at the Chonburi DOT, I passed the test at my first attempt, being a Non-native English speaker.

Another guy from Switzerland who wasn't good at English and didn't understand most of the questions had a bigger problem which we solved the Thai way.

The testers allowed me to explain the questions to him in Germen and I basically told him where to make his cross. After we picked up our license we had a good laugh and a much better and cold Leo beer together. We're still in touch from time to time. 

But I didn't know that there were some " I fill your answer sheet out for 500 baht employees" and must have upset one them as I took a paying customer away at her "one stop service".

These employees have "special forms for foreigners where the right answers are already ticked" at the right place with a pencil. At this time they were asking for Haa Reu and I'm sure that somebody would do that for Nueng Phann these days. 

The tests are in no way as messed up as the so-called O-net tests for students, so it shouldn't be a problem to find out if it's a tricky question, or not. And you don't have to have all questions right, or?

Here's a link where you can see some test questions and check your score. 

http://crowdtest.org/en/thailand-driving

P.S. You'll get the result e-mailed to your address after the test. I was sure to have 100 %, but nobody is perfect. 

My license in Thailand test_001.png

Edited by ajarngreg

56 minutes ago, DILLIGAD said:

I do believe a couple of questions are 'questionable' and could be spelled out more clearly in English IMO.

But Dilli, with a little bit of "common sense" you'll, of course, have the needed score to pass, don't you think? 

7 minutes ago, DILLIGAD said:

No idea, I've never needed to do one.

I did and it was a piece of cake, not even close to really very serious test questions with more than one possible answer.

Anybody with a good command of the English language should be able to pass this test, sad to hear that one gentleman had to do that thrice.

There's nothing to be afraid of imo.

Edited by ajarngreg

My biggest fear from buying a second hand car is that a car in a serious accident is seldom scrapped. They repair these wrecks and make them look new. Watch the vehicles on the highways and the ones that are dog tracking have certainly been wrecked. Those twisted bodies and frames are never the same after repairs. You can repair engines,  transmissions and mechanical failures to make them like new. Not the same for steering, alignment and suspensions. I'm satisfied to pay the depreciation on new vehicles. I have learned not to buy other people's problems.

This is not to say that all second hand vehicles are bad. If you know the owner and the history of the car it may be a bargain. I doubt tent sold vehicles are bargains.

On 4/1/2017 at 1:53 PM, Hereinthailand said:

US license, no test for me, the only problem was they didnt have info for my license classification (car.motorcycle,truck) went home downloaded my states driving license classification chart and showed them, no problem licensed issued.

yup  print  a  "driving license classification chart" I showed him that and he wouldn't accept it.Same old same old buddy ,different rules on each transportation office  in Thailand 

Edited by riclag

On 4/1/2017 at 0:44 PM, DILLIGAD said:

But an IDP only lasts a year, right?
Can you still get decent insurance without a DL?

The transportation guy want's to see a IDP and a state's license before he issues a Thai

First car here was in 2006, a 2003 Toyota Sport Cruiser 4-door pick up from a tent in BKK.  It had a lift kit on it,  fat BF Goodrich ATs, Roo bar, paint matched shell (carry boy) - nice looking truck.  450k.  Still have it.

We wound up moving here full time a year or so after the big floods.  Mrs was worried about getting a second hand SUV that might have been underwater, so we waited a year then bought a new 2013.  It was the first time I ever bought a brand new vehicle in my life.  Always second hand, usually around 3 years old.

I googled USA AAA auto club pictures of IDP but it doesn't show or is difficult to see if it spell's out what kind of vehicle one is able to drive. Anybody have one?

Edited by riclag

On 4/1/2017 at 7:34 PM, DILLIGAD said:

Not at all.  Nothing like that.  Just pretty much what I said plus the paperwork, a hundred or so baht  per licence and a medical certificate saying you do not suffer from one of five mostly illogical medical conditions (including leprosy & third stage syphilis), available for 200 or so baht from most clinics in Thailand. This gives you a temporay dl valid for 2 years. (used to be one year until 2 years ago.) Then repeat and it becomes permanent for 5 years.  Each type of licence is a different card.  IE.  Car & m/c is two separate licences, charged and issued separately on different cards.

Edited by The Deerhunter

Not at all.  Nothing like that.  Just pretty much what I said plus the paperwork, a hundred or so baht  per licence and a medical certificate saying you do not suffer from one of five mostly illogical medical conditions (including leprosy & third stage syphilis), available for 200 or so baht from most clinics in Thailand. This gives you a temporay dl valid for 2 years. (used to be one year until 2 years ago.) Then repeat and it becomes permanent for 5 years.  Each type of licence is a different card.  IE.  Car & m/c is two separate licences, charged and issued separately on different cards.

I had to sit through the video when I last renewed my 5 year car&M/c D/L's. I do understand nothing is uniform here.

2 hours ago, DILLIGAD said:

I had to sit through the video when I last renewed my 5 year car&M/c D/L's. I do understand nothing is uniform here.

So did I and nobody wanted to see a medical from a hospital. 

They do accept an ordinary clinic certificate that costs 30 to 50 baht that you're physically and mentally fit to drive a vehicle.

The syphilis one was for teachers. 

Edited by ajarngreg

20 hours ago, DILLIGAD said:

Wow.  They are so busy at Chang Watton there would be no time for silly videos.