Giants rats eating my hydraulic and electric car cables.

Does anyone has found a way to get rid of rats sleeping in a car engine.  Rats ar a very intelligent creature and they learn fast about the pink pellets and other tricks.  If you found a way please also indicate the cost and where to buy in Bangkok.  This month it cost me THB20,000 in damages causes by those rats.

I have been using moth balls we call them they give a strong smell that none of the animals like and they stay away from it.

I also use this little moth balls into gas tank for the winter stop from icing if water present and boost the octane as well you could smell it from exhaust when car running..

Will do that in two weeks before returning in my own country and  store hat car for an extended period of time.

1 hour ago, mettech said:

I have been using moth balls we call them they give a strong smell that none of the animals like and they stay away from it.

I also use this little moth balls into gas tank for the winter stop from icing if water present and boost the octane as well you could smell it from exhaust when car running..

Will do that in two weeks before returning in my own country and  store hat car for an extended period of time.

I thought the moth balls in the tank only boost the octane with leaded petrol not the gasohol 95 and gasohol 91 available in Thailand? Or does the octane boosting only boost the rating say 91octane will become 95 octane and 95 octane will become 98 octane? Would that be correct?

If yes, how many mothballs do you use per tank?

Thank you for your answers.

http://www.cartalk.com/content/i-have-been-told-adding-seven-or-eight-naphthalene

RAY: Anyway, after several months of study, and the complete depletion of an otherwise useful NIH grant, Jim has concluded that this mothball story is basically a bunch of horse pie.

TOM: There are several different types of mothballs on the market, none of which, to his knowledge, do anything to improve the performance of gasoline. They WILL burn, so you will get some power out of them. But since mothballs are more expensive than gasoline, this is not a very economical way to get to work, Donald.

I have a car port.......when we go on extended vacations overseas, I leave several of the large moth balls on the ground just below the engine.  Then I leave several in the engine compartment......I place then in the tops of spray paint cans.  When we return from vacation, we can tell if there have been any invaders as they leave tiny paw prints on flat dusty surfaces of the engine.  Since I've started using mothballs, problem solved.

Put pieces of cheese and meat inside the radiator fan guard.

Then occasionally start up the engine!

A great slice and dice system for preparing a traditional rat stew!

3 minutes ago, Kabula said:

Put pieces of cheese and meat inside the radiator fan guard.

Then occasionally start up the engine!

A great slice and dice system for preparing a traditional rat stew!

add prikh nam pla and teaspoon of lime juice. basic rat without spices is too insipid for the discerning gourmet.

Haven't you seen those glue for catching rats? Go to the hardware shop and ask for glue for rats. They are very cheap and very very effective.

The layout is a bit tricky, you spread the glue on pieces of wood plane or hardboard. They are very sticky so you need a very strong stick to spread them . It sticks to your fingers you need to use petrol to wash your finger to get rid of it or use diesel oil.

Just put them where they will have to walk to your cable. Put some food on it so they will want to eat them.

Don't just make one make several to ensure you get them. Most of the time they are alive when they are glue to the board, normally I killed them with a piece of wood to end their suffering. It's a method that always work.

3 minutes ago, madusa said:

Haven't you seen those glue for catching rats? Go to the hardware shop and ask for glue for rats. They are very cheap and very very effective.

The layout is a bit tricky, you spread the glue on pieces of wood plane or hardboard. They are very sticky so you need a very strong stick to spread them . It sticks to your fingers you need to use petrol to wash your finger to get rid of it or use diesel oil.

Just put them where they will have to walk to your cable. Put some food on it so they will want to eat them.

Don't just make one make several to ensure you get them. Most of the time they are alive when they are glue to the board, normally I killed them with a piece of wood to end their suffering. It's a method that always work.

You can buy ready made ones, a hard plastic sheet around 400mm x 400mm with the glue already applied, just add food. Big C tops etc. They need to not be put in the open otherwise you catch birds instead of rats

15 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

You can buy ready made ones, a hard plastic sheet around 400mm x 400mm with the glue already applied, just add food. Big C tops etc. They need to not be put in the open otherwise you catch birds instead of rats

I must be behind time, during my time ( early 80's ) you need to do it yourself, those glue comes in tin cans. Big tins , small tins. Thais people catch birds with this glue if I am not wrong.

On 4/5/2017 at 7:31 PM, canthai55 said:

Snake.

Friend in Nakhon Ratchasima area has a female king cobra that lives on his property.  Not a dog or cat in his yard.

And with no dog or cat in his yard, the rats flourish.  Hardly a help to the OP's situation?

No idea why they haven't implemented it on locally made cars but for instance Audi installs anti-rat protection on all their cars since nineties. I had no idea of this till I saw it in spare parts catalogue while choosing parts for customer's car. Was quite surprised. 

19 hours ago, jumbo said:

any car accessory shop in the malls or wherever can sell you a spray that keeps the rats away....

We bought a bottle of this Tuesday at the motor show.  Haven't had a chance to use it.  Rather expensive, 350 baht.

We will see.

I had some rather large shelving made for under our carport.  Rats are vacationing there.  Will try putting moth balls around to see if they work.

My Thai wife also hates cats. Her Ford Focus is always parked in the garage. A rat ate through the air intake screen the goes to the air conditioner. The rat had her babies inside the air conditioner. When the fan tuned on there were minced baby rats. Then the flies found the smell and got in to eat the minced rats. The smell was unbelievable. Maggots dropping onto the passenger side floor. I pitied the guys at Ford who cleaned the mess up. We now have several cats. My wife still doesn't like the cats but she puts up with them. Not only did the rats wreak havoc on her car, they chewed holes in the big bags of rice she stored in the garage.  Now only her chickens pick holes in the rice bags.