Transport aims to reduce highway fatalities by 5% during Songkran festival

webfact

Transport aims to reduce highway fatalities by 5% during Songkran festival

IMG_0127.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Transport Ministry aims to reduce traffic fatalities by 5% with the enforcement of tougher traffic rules during the upcoming Songkran festival, beginning April 8-18.

Last year, death toll during the Thai traditional New Year stood at 424 deaths.

Transport minister Arkhom Termpittayapaisith assured of achieving the 5% target after presiding over a ceremony to launch the campaign this morning.

With the tough enforcement of traffic law this year, particularly on key accident causes such as speeding, safety belt fastening, daytime headlight switching on, at least 5% fatality rate could be reduced, he said.

Full story:  http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/transport-aims-reduce-highway-fatalities-5-songkran-festival/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-04-06

Sums are not my strong point but I think a saving of 22 lives if the Total gets o the same amount,

even 300 is way to many the numbers should be turned around so it read after the event 

there was a remarkable 95% reduction in the road  toll .

as I said at the start my sums are , and were often wrong at school.

I guess the plan is announce 5% and they can't really lose. If they get numbers 30 lower than lest year, they will praise themselves saying they exceeded the target.

(And any police activity in numbers should achieve something.)

If it's the same as last year, they will blame the people who complained about the pick up truck laws.

Daytime headlight to be switched on?  

Maybe they need to enforce the night time headlight to be switched on first and foremost. Normally 30 minutes before sunset and 30 minutes after sunrise is an accepted standard.

But no TIT.  Using headlight wastes battery. Too much money down drain lah....

Don't get me started on motorbikes with no lights...let alone their lack of brake lights.

2 hours ago, CMKiwi said:

Daytime headlight to be switched on?  

Maybe they need to enforce the night time headlight to be switched on first and foremost. Normally 30 minutes before sunset and 30 minutes after sunrise is an accepted standard.

But no TIT.  Using headlight wastes battery. Too much money down drain lah....

Don't get me started on motorbikes with no lights...let alone their lack of brake lights.

Hi CMKiwi, maybe you or other posters can enlighten me about a strange phenomenon I noticed while driving through countryside at night: I see a single headlight coming at me from the opposite lane. Suddenly the light is switched off, the motorbike whizzes past and when I look in the rearview they switch the headlight on again! I am not being facetious, this has bothered me for years and really want someone to explain the logic behind this procedure to me. Any idea what it is all about?  Cheers! The Doc

2 hours ago, docshock13 said:

Hi CMKiwi, maybe you or other posters can enlighten me about a strange phenomenon I noticed while driving through countryside at night: I see a single headlight coming at me from the opposite lane. Suddenly the light is switched off, the motorbike whizzes past and when I look in the rearview they switch the headlight on again! I am not being facetious, this has bothered me for years and really want someone to explain the logic behind this procedure to me. Any idea what it is all about?  Cheers! The Doc

They switch from high beam to low and low does not work.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Transport minister Arkhom Termpittayapaisith assured of achieving the 5% target after presiding over a ceremony to launch the campaign this morning.

Oh there has been a ceremony, so then everything must be fine now.

I'm surprised they don't announce that there will be ZERO deaths this songkran, because that is how they usually do it.

Reducing it by 5% would still be way higher than the average of the last few years. Last year was an exceptionally large number.

Although interestingly the numbers are still LOWER than the normal daily average for the rest of the year.

Either way you look at it: the carnage is unacceptable and the government's pathetic lip service is disgraceful. 

9 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I guess the plan is announce 5% and they can't really lose. If they get numbers 30 lower than lest year, they will praise themselves saying they exceeded the target.

(And any police activity in numbers should achieve something.)

If it's the same as last year, they will blame the people who complained about the pick up truck laws.

'If it's the same as last year, they will blame the people who complained about the pick up truck laws.' Well, those will be the ones most likely to bugger up the 5.0% target.