Russian tourist and two Thai men killed in motorbike accident on Koh Samui

rooster59

Russian tourist and two Thai men killed in motorbike accident on Koh Samui

tnews_1492142902_5557.jpg

Image: T News

A Russian tourist was killed after the motorcycle they were riding was involved in a head on collision with another motorcycle on Koh Samui.

The fatal crash which happened before 11pm on Thursday evening in Bo Phut also resulted in the deaths of two Thai men. Another Thai man was seriously injured.

Police and rescue workers attending the scene found the two motorcycles in the middle of the road, surrounded by debris.

According to witnesses the Russian tourist was riding a black Honda PCX at high speed around a corner when it collided head on with the motorcycle which the three Thai men were travelling on.

All four were thrown from the motorcycles, with the three victims reportedly being killed instantly. Another Thai man was rushed to Koh Samui Hospital for emergency surgery. His current condition is unknown.

Police said they were awaiting toxicology reports to see if any of the victims had been under the influence of alcohol.

There was some confusion regarding the identity of the Russian tourist.

Thai media identified him as Vitalii Manshin.

However, a Russian language news site claimed the victim was Iya Lukyanov, 28, while Mr Manshin is the person the black Honda PCX is registered to.

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-04-15

Three more sad deaths to add to the already heavy toll. Even more sad that it seems largely due to lack of law abiding drivers.

At least one was speeding, there were three people on the second bike, and from the death toll, one suspects a lack of helmets.

Time will tell if alchohol was involved too, though at 11pm, very possible. RIP everybody. I hope those that are left will please start to take notice.

The two motocy's were found in the middle of the road. Now this is the stupidest place to be on a motocy at any time of the night or day. Riding at high speed around a corner might just put the Russian there.  The Thai, on the other hand, should know better - unless, ofcourse, they were playing the old thai game of chicken, riding on the wrong side of the road entirely as is their wont if they don't have to travel far.

I bet a bottle of lao kao on the latter being the case.

5 hours ago, Bullie said:

The two motocy's were found in the middle of the road. Now this is the stupidest place to be on a motocy at any time of the night or day. Riding at high speed around a corner might just put the Russian there.  The Thai, on the other hand, should know better - unless, ofcourse, they were playing the old thai game of chicken, riding on the wrong side of the road entirely as is their wont if they don't have to travel far.

High speed crash. Where they finish has no relation to how the accident happened. Judgemental and totally unnecessary. I know the family of one of the deceased and your comments are unmerited and unwanted. Luckily the family will not read your garbage. If you don't like my response the post your address and I will hand it to the local families and then see how brave you are when away from you comfort zone.

6 hours ago, Bullie said:

1 hour ago, Trexpat said:

High speed crash. Where they finish has no relation to how the accident happened. Judgemental and totally unnecessary. I know the family of one of the deceased and your comments are unmerited and unwanted. Luckily the family will not read your garbage. If you don't like my response the post your address and I will hand it to the local families and then see how brave you are when away from you comfort zone.

I would agree with your post Trexpat apart from 'Now this is the stupidest place to be on a motocy at any time of the night or day'  If this was meant to mean Samui then that would be absolutely correct. I avoided an accident on the main Songkran day at midday by swerving away from someone on a motorbike that tried to turn right, lucky for them that I spotted them in my left side mirror trying to go across and through my car.

It is sad, RIP to those that lost their lives. I hope that they are the only ones in this holiday period but I doubt it.

6 hours ago, Beng said:

To open up the speculations: the fast driving Russian collided with 3, probably drunken, Thais in the middle of the road.

Who knows? On Samui some people drive/ride too fast, some people drive in an aggressive manner that is likely to cause an accident, some people drive/ride whilst drunk and there also the incompetent drivers/riders on the road. Then there are the roads which are poorly maintained and poorly lit. All of which cause accidents and are a recipe for disaster.

No point in speculating, it doesn't help - 3 people died and that is sad.