Engine transplant for Peugeot 405 - Toyota?

Sadly, my old Peugeot 405 has developed an annoyingly high idle (usually 1,700-1,800 rpms), which my mechanic says cannot be fixed with parts available in Thailand. He said the "water sensor" is to blame for this problem, and that various other minor drivability problems I've previously had (and talked about on here) are caused by the mass air flow sensor.  However, I don't feel confident that he is correct about this.

For this reason, I'm considering having the engine removed and replaced with a Toyota engine.  Every once in a while I see a Peugeot 405 driving around Isaan, and every time I ask the owners what engine it has - in every case it has been a Toyota engine transplant, and they all stated they were pleased to be rid of the European engine.  One of the side benefits, besides reliability and parts availability, would be transitioning from the annoying 5-speed shifter to an automatic transmission. 

Also, the air-conditioning on the car is so weak now that it is useless against the intense Thai heat, and can only help at night or on a rainy day, despite being in proper working order.  I'm not sure if a Toyota unit would be any better, however, as it would be impossible to change the fan in the dashboard, which seems to be the main problem, and is like everything else on a Peugeot, impossible to source.

I'm wondering of anyone here has done an engine transplant in Thailand, and if you've had any luck with it.  It's certainly very common.  What engines might be available, cheap, and appropriate for a largish car like this - perhaps a 2.0 liter like one would find in a Corona or?

Toyota JZ engines are very common, cheap and reliable. Thai's retrofit them into all kinds of cars.

Choices are: 1JZ or 2JZ, non VVTI or VVTI, turbo or non turbo. Cheapest would be a 1JZ non VVTI NA. Most expensive is the 2JZ turbo engines which can be cheaply and easily modified with bolt on parts to run up to 700-800hp, so these are in higher demand and fetch a higher price.

There are other popular Nissan engines such the RB platform and SR but not sure whether they would work. Best is to speak to the people who do it all day everyday and they'll recommend something based on no doubt years of experience.

8 minutes ago, madhav said:

Toyota JZ engines are very common, cheap and reliable. Thai's retrofit them into all kinds of cars.

Choices are: 1JZ or 2JZ, non VVTI or VVTI, turbo or non turbo. Cheapest would be a 1JZ non VVTI NA. Most expensive is the 2JZ turbo engines which can be cheaply and easily modified with bolt on parts to run up to 700-800hp, so these are in higher demand and fetch a higher price.

There are other popular Nissan engines such the RB platform and SR but not sure whether they would work. Best is to speak to the people who do it all day everyday and they'll recommend something based on no doubt years of experience.

Forget 800hp in a 405.....:stoner:....Plus it would cost a fortune to achieve I would have thought....

Idle speed is controlled by - if FI - an IAC. Idle Air control. You might be well served to purchase an OBD code reader. Mine pictured below, but many options - like plug into car and download an app for your fone. No more guessing, and you can clear faults yourself. Seem to remember JoeW offered help in sourcing parts. Was he not able to - or was he not contacted ? Impossible to change the blower fan ? Only one thing is impossible in life - not dying.

OTC.jpg

Unfortunately a peugeot 405 has a transverse engine layout, so to put a 1JZ or 2JZ would mean re-engineering the whole car.

The best Toyota engine to swap into a peugeot 405 would be a rather more boring but well proven '4afe', if possible the 1.6 version.

4afe.jpg.f7b5f16c7933978135c99de055fd48e4.jpg

This engine is tough and reliable and is a popular choice to swap into older transverse FWD cars in Thailand and every independent mechanic in Thailand knows how to fix this engine.

To get an idea of the prices, you can ask this shop

https://www.facebook.com/NN-Poonsub-อะไหล่ยนต์-809554045755929/

hope that helps

***edit just to say if you go ahead with the swap, don't forget to get a proper invoice because this will be needed to update the new engine in the blue book at the Land Transport office

Edited by jay1980
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, jay1980 said:

Unfortunately a peugeot 405 has a transverse engine layout, so to put a 1JZ or 2JZ would mean re-engineering the whole car.

The best Toyota engine to swap into a peugeot 405 would be a rather more boring but well proven '4afe', if possible the 1.6 version.

This engine is tough and reliable and is a popular choice to swap into older transverse FWD cars in Thailand and every independent mechanic in Thailand knows how to fix this engine.

hope that helps

***edit just to say if you go ahead with the swap, don't forget to get a proper invoice because this will be needed to update the new engine in the blue book at the Land Transport office

To do a R&R and supply one of these 1.6L engines how much money are we talking?

My view - if you want a car with that Toyota engine, better to buy a Toyota car. By the time you source a good one, pay to have it installed, go to DLT and change the blue book, try and get the Toyota aircon working in a French car, and all the other minor things you must do with the electrics to get it to run in a car it was not designed for ... you could have bought a good car. Peugeot on its last legs - trash it. Unless you can do the work yourself, have the time and knowledge, - and it helps to have one or two screws loose.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

My view - if you want a car with that Toyota engine, better to buy a Toyota car. By the time you source a good one, pay to have it installed, go to DLT and change the blue book, try and get the Toyota aircon working in a French car, and all the other minor things you must do with the electrics to get it to run in a car it was not designed for ... you could have bought a good car. Peugeot on its last legs - trash it. Unless you can do the work yourself, have the time and knowledge, - and it helps to have one or two screws loose.

Nooooo, 405's engines never die, can do easily 400-500K if you take care of it, just like a good old corolla, except that 405 are unique around here.

Just saying don't throw it away, give it to me !

• 1 year later...
On 4/16/2017 at 5:28 PM, Pepper9187 said:

Nooooo, 405's engines never die, can do easily 400-500K if you take care of it, just like a good old corolla, except that 405 are unique around here.

Just saying don't throw it away, give it to me !

I still have the car and just as before it limps along, barely running, breaking down more completely on rare occasions. While it's true the Peugeot engine itself is incredibly stout and durable, its hopeless to actually use. Its also extremely annoying to drive a big floppy front wheel drive car with a stick shift - why they didn't put an automatic in a big poor-handling car I'll never know. 

On 4/16/2017 at 12:53 PM, jay1980 said:

hope that helps

Thanks Jay, this is what my mechanic is recommending, the 4a-fe specifically. He roughly estimates the cost at such an installation with automatic at ~40,000 baht. While the existing 2 liter already feels tiny to my American foot I'm thinking of going for it. I think the car has potential and the only alternative is sending it to the crusher. 

• Like 1

I've was in the motor industry for many years and before I became a sales trainer I was in car sales 

When anybody drove in with a Peugeot or Saab the salesman would scatter like cockroaches because those traded were worth peanuts always 70% less than what the buyer wanted because the dummies thought they were exotic =top dollar lol 

If you drop a Toyota engine in it forget about it being worth more than few hundred dollars if you ever trade it in. 

Don't do it! 

Edited by InMyShadow

5 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

I've was in the motor industry for many years and before I became a sales trainer I was in car sales 

When anybody drove in with a Peugeot or Saab the salesman would scatter like cockroaches because those traded were worth peanuts always 70% less than what the buyer wanted because the dummies thought they were exotic =top dollar lol 

If you drop a Toyota engine in it forget about it being worth more than few hundred dollars if you ever trade it in. 

Don't do it! 

Oh I only paid 30,000 baht for it, and it's a 1997, so trade in value isn't important. The car is big and very comfortable, and the engine runs cool in Thai heat & never burns any oil. Basically it has one huge problem - the engine electronics - and one minor problem - weak air-con. 

On 4/17/2017 at 11:47 AM, kartman said:

CQ just do what i said last time buy one already converted if you really want a 405 then sell yours as is cost will be same with no hassle.

CQ still can't see the wood for the ???

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 8:54 AM, madhav said:

Nonsense, JZs are inline, RWD engines, useless for a FWD Peugeot!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ClareQuilty said:

. Its also extremely annoying to drive a big floppy front wheel drive car with a stick shift - why they didn't put an automatic in a big poor-handling car I'll never know. 

They did, you just bought the wrong model!

2 hours ago, ClareQuilty said:

Nah, the previously converted ones are rare. 

CQ stop drivling they would be rare if your not looking for them converted ones come up fairly often and don't come back with their not to be as good as mine yours is a crap driver you've been posting that for nearly two years! anything with a Toyota engine has got to be better than that 

• Confused 1