Metered taxi from lower Sukhumvit to Suvarnabhumi

My girlfriend and I are looking to get a cab early (6:00-6:30 AM) on a weekday to Suvarnabhumi airport from lower Sukhumvit. What’s the quickest route via taxi? Should I ask the driver to avoid the route where you pay tolls? What’s a good way to make sure that we get a metered taxi? Should we ask our hotel to arrange it for us or should we hail it outside and away from the hotel? The Airport Rail Link/BTS wouldn’t work for us because we’ll have some luggage which would make it quite convenient.  Any helpful tips would be much appreciated. 

its about 200 baht on the meter , less than 100 baht extra in tolls

its going to be hard to get a taxi that wants to use the meter , since you have luggage you cannot just stand on Sukhumvit and hail any cab....

Also figure out how they are going to get on the expressway ,  if you are on odd numbered Sois they are going to need to do a U-turn to get back to the Expressway at Soi 1

Nornally they will take 400 baht  and not use the meter , 

no matter what its still CHEAP

For anybody reading who is not in a hotel, you can dial 1661 yourself and order a taxi in advance.  If you do it the night before, you will get a confirmation call in the morning with the license number of the taxi.  If you are booking for a ride at the time of the call, they will give you the license number on that call.  There is a surcharge (B25? B50?) to reserve a taxi this way, and they will use the meter.

I think you will find that the airport rate for UberX is rather expensive at 450 baht + tolls, but it would guarantee you a ride in a decent car.

One more option is AllThaiTaxi. You can phone them or use their smartphone app and book a taxi in advance for 100 baht. You journey will be by the same meter rate as a normal taxi, but you will get a very nice Prius and a professional driver. Note that AllThaiTaxi drivers are not permitted to exceed 90 kph on the highway.